Domain Empire

discuss .gdn only $2.99 but look out!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I've tried to register some nice .gdn domains since last year but they all got rejected as reserved. They were very expensive therefore I was only going for one, maybe two.

I noticed recently that 101domain has them at $2.99 per year. WHAT, $2.99 per year? I tried many names and they had a premium price tag for the first year and a high rate per renewal. I didn't want to do that so I went looking for some $2.99 per year domains as advertised.

I wound up registering 36 chip LLL.gdn domains, 33 went through and 3 still processing. I was in heaven thinking dang LLL chips and the extension is chips too. Again I'm thinking wow just $2.99 per year while doing this.

I got to thinking tonight that this was to good to be true, so I logged in and went to renew one of the domains and the renewal is $384.99 per year.

So to make a long story short I F'd up but it was misleading saying /SALE/ .gdn $2.99 / yr.. Yes it's $2.99 for one year and then $384.99 to renew and this wan't clear to me.

I do admit that if I would have used the drop down for more years that it in fact shows the increase but I always reg a year and leave them on auto renew so I didn't click the drop down.

I reached out for an explanation as to why this isn't explained better during registration but I'm pretty sure I have one year to try and move some of these before renewal time comes around.

I've posted this as a warning, something to watch out for as I personally haven't ran into this type of situation before.

Attachments

• sale.GIF
    sale.GIF
    57 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They've been spamming everyone about their extension for months - email list scrapped from whois.

Only sold at 101domain with a ludicrous renewal fee.
https://www.domcomp.com/tld/gdn

This crappy junk will fail even faster than most crappy nGTLD

•••
I would try to get a refund if you can.
This is what erks my about alot of new tlds. They sucker you in and then rape you if they can. I have seen the renewal fees go from $19.99 to $39.99 within days of my purchases. I will be dropping alot. There will be many drops in the new tlds space.

Who is going to buy those domains from you with renewal prices like that? You are going to have a $12K renewal bill on just 33 domains. YIKES
You can get some nice LLLL.com's for that amount.
Call or email them now.

•••
What a crock - I am sorry you are going through this @mad409

Great idea @brindle123 see what you could do to dispute/refund. I only got wise to ngTLD renewal shenanigans after trying to register a .work direct at M&M and their payment page kept failing (certain I had valid credit card) - for <$2 purchase. Then I searched and found all kinds of complaints about that registry and the ngTLDs in general, too complicated for me.

Best of luck!

•••
What a crock - I am sorry you are going through this @mad409

Great idea @brindle123 see what you could do to dispute/refund. I only got wise to ngTLD renewal shenanigans after trying to register a .work direct at M&M and their payment page kept failing (certain I had valid credit card) - for <$2 purchase. Then I searched and found all kinds of complaints about that registry and the ngTLDs in general, too complicated for me.

Best of luck!

I haven't had any issues to date with renewals that I'm aware of, my other new TLD's are renewing at the rate I paid for them. I'm not sure who organized this type of trick, .gdn or 101domain but it is just that, a trick it appears.

Some of the LLL.gdn come up $1,350.00 with a $75.00 per year renewal, see attached but I was able to register RRK and DDG among others for $2.99. It may be that their system is all messed up because BBH isn't any better than RRK etc.. I'll just sit on them for a year and see what happens but no way I''m renewing all of these at $384.99.

My example here is also why I didn't think I was registering premiums within the system because they didn't show up as premium. Somehow I bypassed the $1,350.00 / $75.00 yr and got them for $2.99.

I've reached out, lets see what they have to say. I might be able to make this work in my favor, would only need to move one of these to make a profit but I need to make sure I know what the actual renewal is. I also need to check another register and see what their renewal is too since they could be moved at some point.

Again this might be a system problem because today I checked some crazy combinations that can be registered for $2.99 but they too have a premium renewal that no one would ever pay.

Some crazy stuff! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• premiumgdn.GIF
    premiumgdn.GIF
    10.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Thanks. Google says it's Google Display Network

I noticed that too when researching GDN. If they ever get off the ground that could change within search results but from what I'm seeing they're having issues all over the place.

Honestly it's to bad because I like generic extensions but they need to be priced like xyz was in the beginning IMO.

As for the spam comment above, I too read one article about that but never heard much more after that. I don't see how they could be consumed with spamming, with all the pricing problems they're having. Or could be API back end issues, I don't know.

If anyone here has a .gdn let me know, Ty.

Last edited:
•••
globaldomainname.gdn
It's easy to say 'spam spam spam' but it's easier to ignore those sayings ;)

Last edited:
•••
globaldomainname.gdn
It's easy to say 'spam spam spam' but it's easier to ignore those sayings ;)

Is this your name, shows registered. If so what was reg fee and whats renewal showing. TY.

•••
If they reduce the renewal fees early investors will do back-flips !

•••
Is this your name, shows registered. If so what was reg fee and whats renewal showing. TY.

Yes, it was me who registered
globaldomainname.gdn

I registered it at 101domain, Inc., a few day ago.
Their registration price at the time of registering was 2,99 USD PROMO SALE PRICE
Their renewal price at the time of registering was 349,00 USD

I also registered those .gdn's:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.gdn 26 characters, whole latin alphabet
0123456789.gdn / 1234567890.gdn both versions of all digits (I prefer the first version)
smartphone.gdn
domain.gdn
server.gdn
king.gdn

and...

Last edited:
•••
...and, of course, I registered this one:

gdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdngdn.gdn
21 times 'gdn' / TLD .gdn
most possible ammount of 'gdn' in a .gdn domain
original 63.DOMAIN

;)

Last edited:
•••
@kingof.top I really really really hope you registered those not knowing the renewal price.

•••
•••
•••
It's the obvious, if you knew that the renewal price is 349,00 USD and still registered those, it would be pretty naive

Sry, but it would be pretty naive to think that I will renew them (or all of them).
But who nowwws.
Now I own them for at least 365 days.
That means 365 days time to sell them - so I think this wasn't a bad invest ;)

I think there are existing or will be end buyers / users for which the renewal price isn't a big thing.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks. Google says it's Google Display Network
I got Advertise and bunch of others including eBet, bookings and bitcoins. Worth a gamble for a year at $2.99.

•••
•••
•••
Allthough nP member mad409 made it clear above, I am not sure if everybody here knows for sure what .gdn means - so once again:

The TLD .gdn stands for global domain name

•••
Ok nominate.com let me reg a LLL for 3 years at $10.00 per year. It's in pending so lets see if it goes through at that rate. If they can do three years for $30.00, which I'm not holding my breath, I can transfer 101domain list over to them and hopefully get the same rate.

This would need to be confirmed of course. Lets see if this goes through first as I've never heard of them before.

•••
is a LLL.gdn really worth the reg' fee of $2.99 if you can't find a buyer.
I'm not sure if you have to disclose the renewal cost to them, but as soon as you do(or they find out), then the deal is off.

•••
is a LLL.gdn really worth the reg' fee of $2.99 if you can't find a buyer.
I'm not sure if you have to disclose the renewal cost to them, but as soon as you do(or they find out), then the deal is off.
Unless you get lucky with an end user.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back