Dynadot

discuss .gdn only $2.99 but look out!

NameSilo
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I've tried to register some nice .gdn domains since last year but they all got rejected as reserved. They were very expensive therefore I was only going for one, maybe two.

I noticed recently that 101domain has them at $2.99 per year. WHAT, $2.99 per year? I tried many names and they had a premium price tag for the first year and a high rate per renewal. I didn't want to do that so I went looking for some $2.99 per year domains as advertised.

I wound up registering 36 chip LLL.gdn domains, 33 went through and 3 still processing. I was in heaven thinking dang LLL chips and the extension is chips too. Again I'm thinking wow just $2.99 per year while doing this.

I got to thinking tonight that this was to good to be true, so I logged in and went to renew one of the domains and the renewal is $384.99 per year.

So to make a long story short I F'd up but it was misleading saying /SALE/ .gdn $2.99 / yr.. Yes it's $2.99 for one year and then $384.99 to renew and this wan't clear to me.

I do admit that if I would have used the drop down for more years that it in fact shows the increase but I always reg a year and leave them on auto renew so I didn't click the drop down.

I reached out for an explanation as to why this isn't explained better during registration but I'm pretty sure I have one year to try and move some of these before renewal time comes around.

I've posted this as a warning, something to watch out for as I personally haven't ran into this type of situation before.

Attachments

• sale.GIF
    sale.GIF
    57 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes you are right sir But there are big defference in first time or renew price.
Many people use spam work for this TLD in NP

Read here - acro. net/blog/icann-needs-to-control-gtld-domain-registries-that-spam/

•••
Yes you are right sir But there are big defference in first time or renew price.
Many people use spam work for this TLD in NP

Read here - acro. net/blog/icann-needs-to-control-gtld-domain-registries-that-spam/
Yes, of course this difference is (to) big - but I can't find any reason that this fact should have to do with 'spam' - if this is their price politic, so what?

I personally also don't think that this 'first low / than high' - pricelevel - thing will be successfull (the number of renewals will be very low / near zero as long as the renewal price will not go drastically down in my opinion) - but thats not a reason to connect the whole TLD with 'spam'.
Those 'many' 'spamming - people' are just a 'few' in reality which I am able to ignore.

It's just another new TLD which is trying to be seen - so a few junky emails here or there I wouldn't see as a reasond to givr this TLD the label 'spam'.
We should see that more relaxed.
If I got an email which I dont like I simply delete it (or my email program is doing it automatically for me).

Last edited:
•••
I've tried to register some nice .gdn domains since last year but they all got rejected as reserved. They were very expensive therefore I was only going for one, maybe two.

I noticed recently that 101domain has them at $2.99 per year. WHAT, $2.99 per year? I tried many names and they had a premium price tag for the first year and a high rate per renewal. I didn't want to do that so I went looking for some $2.99 per year domains as advertised.

I wound up registering 36 chip LLL.gdn domains, 33 went through and 3 still processing. I was in heaven thinking dang LLL chips and the extension is chips too. Again I'm thinking wow just $2.99 per year while doing this.

I got to thinking tonight that this was to good to be true, so I logged in and went to renew one of the domains and the renewal is $384.99 per year.

So to make a long story short I F'd up but it was misleading saying /SALE/ .gdn $2.99 / yr.. Yes it's $2.99 for one year and then $384.99 to renew and this wan't clear to me.

I do admit that if I would have used the drop down for more years that it in fact shows the increase but I always reg a year and leave them on auto renew so I didn't click the drop down.

I reached out for an explanation as to why this isn't explained better during registration but I'm pretty sure I have one year to try and move some of these before renewal time comes around.

I've posted this as a warning, something to watch out for as I personally haven't ran into this type of situation before.

•••
I bought 8 domains for .gdn and it has a renewal of $60. I am not sure why it tells you that it is $384. I see that you bought the domains from 101 domains, I bought it from dotintra.com. In this case I think it has nothing to do with .gdn but everything to do with a reseller as resellers can charge whatever they want to in the end. I got these domains for three years at a price of 12.50 which is sweet and I dont even have to worry about $60 renewal for three years :))))

•••
I bought 8 domains for .gdn and it has a renewal of $60. I am not sure why it tells you that it is $384. I see that you bought the domains from 101 domains, I bought it from dotintra.com. In this case I think it has nothing to do with .gdn but everything to do with a reseller as resellers can charge whatever they want to in the end. I got these domains for three years at a price of 12.50 which is sweet and I dont even have to worry about $60 renewal for three years :))))

Exactly, resellers can resell TLDs (or any other 'goods', but in this case TLDs) for whatever they decide*.

:laugh: That's not a secret, that's simply their main business, it's nothing unusual, it's also called trade - like in any other branche.
It's their own 'risk' if they make high renewal prices - the higher the renwal prices, the lower the renewals.

*if they hasn't any special agreements with the registry, like a 'maximum resell price' f. e.

Last edited:
•••
Was just doing some research on .gdn to see who actually sells it and found these guys do:

101domain
Nominate
Domain.fr
Nameweb
Encirca
Instra Corporation
dominiando.it
Dotintra

seems like the renewal is different for most of these so i guess if you already bought one you could just transfer it over to one with a better rate (but seems like Dotintra has the best rates for .gdn)

Last edited:
•••
Was just doing some research on .gdn to see who actually sells it and found these guys do:

101domain
Nominate
Domain.fr
Nameweb
Encirca
Instra Corporation
dominiando.it
Dotintra

seems like the renewal is different for most of these so i guess if you already bought one you could just transfer it over to one with a better rate (but seems like Dotintra has the best rates for .gdn)
May be I need to check these website to see if I can get a better deal. Thanks for the info

•••
Exactly, resellers can resell TLDs (or any other 'goods', but in this case TLDs) for whatever they decide*.

:laugh: That's not a secret, that's simply their main business, it's nothing unusual, it's also called trade - like in any other branche.
It's their own 'risk' if they make high renewal prices - the higher the renwal prices, the lower the renewals.

*if they hasn't any special agreements with the registry, like a 'maximum resell price' f. e.
[/QUOT

Thanks

•••
This looks like it was during the sunrise period. I got emails during sunrise and landrush announcements from them too. Right now I see prices from anywhere between 2.99 to 10 with different registrars. There's no minimum years for GA period. If you go to dotintra (which is where I got the best deal) they are selling $2.99 for the first year, 6.99 for second and $12.50 for 3 years with a renewal of $60. I personally bought some domains and don't see any problems right now.
The pricing and minimum registration you're referring to is for the sunrise and landrush where prices are usually higher & usually for trademark owners, I would personally wait for GA as most registrars/registries come up with lower prices.

•••
@Nick V The pic you have is for re-sellers though, Intracomme doesn't actually sell to customers just registrars

•••
WTF, .gdn? Worst extension I have ever seen.

•••
•••
Right now I see prices from anywhere between 2.99 to 10 with different registrars. There's no minimum years for GA period. If you go to dotintra (which is where I got the best deal) they are selling $2.99 for the first year, 6.99 for second and $12.50 for 3 years with a renewal of $60. I personally bought some domains and don't see any problems right now.

Did you register for 3 yrs with no problems at dotintra? I registered one for 3 yrs at $10.00 per year to see how it would go at nominate and it's live today but they only registered it for one year. I don't know if they made a mistake so now I have to contact them and see whats up with the other two years I paid for.

Also when I go to renew domain on their site they show no pricing beyond three years, just $10.00 per yr and up to three years..

•••
@Frank Demitri

Nevermind they just confirmed pricing which isn't that bad...

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

The pricing are as follow

1 Year Registration - $2.99

2 Years Registration -$6.99

3 Years Registration -$12.50

Subsequent renewal fee is $60

We encourage registrant's to go for 3 Years domain registration @ $12.50 - so they can save 2 years renewal cost $120.00.

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact us.

$60.00 per year to an end user isn't much on the forth year...

•••
Just google "gdn spam" and you'll get my sentiment about this garbage as the top result.

•••
Just google "gdn spam" and you'll get my sentiment about this garbage as the top result.

That's another thread if it bothers you. I actually get lots more spam from .com than any other extension, search that! Yahoo.com email is the worst in the world... ;)

If we could let's keep this thread on track, not a hate .gdn, spam etc.. thread. Thanks..

•••
So you're saying that because your post is about how a spammer's paradise of a new gTLD is "only $2.99" I cannot share my negative, yet objective thoughts about it?

I have an issue with every spamming TLD obviously, and frankly I'm surprised domain investors fell for this crap.

•••
So you're saying that because your post is about how a spammer's paradise of a new gTLD is "only $2.99" I cannot share my negative, yet objective thoughts about it?

I have an issue with every spamming TLD obviously, and frankly I'm surprised domain investors fell for this crap.

Actually if you'd read entire threads my opening post is about renewal fees but talking about spam or how someone thinks the extension stinks, all the other stuff trying to enter the conversation is a derail.

If you want to talk about extensions and spam I'm asking you to go and start a thread about that. Surely you can understand, if not I'll type slower...

And I'll add when doing the search you suggested above I see it goes to your site as #1, nice plug or should I say spam! LOL

Now who's falling for what my friend?

100% True.. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Probably because there are not much other sites / opinions / individuals which are claiming that ;)

•••
@Frank Demitri

Nevermind they just confirmed pricing which isn't that bad...

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

The pricing are as follow

1 Year Registration - $2.99

2 Years Registration -$6.99

3 Years Registration -$12.50

Subsequent renewal fee is $60

We encourage registrant's to go for 3 Years domain registration @ $12.50 - so they can save 2 years renewal cost $120.00.

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact us.

$60.00 per year to an end user isn't much on the forth year...
This exactly what I got when I bought the domains...:))

•••
Did you register for 3 yrs with no problems at dotintra? I registered one for 3 yrs at $10.00 per year to see how it would go at nominate and it's live today but they only registered it for one year. I don't know if they made a mistake so now I have to contact them and see whats up with the other two years I paid for.

Also when I go to renew domain on their site they show no pricing beyond three years, just $10.00 per yr and up to three years..
Yes I registered for 3 years @ 12.50 with $60 renewal. This is the cheapest deals I can find. I serached nominate.com and they are offering $10 for 1, $20 for 2 and $30 for 3 years. They have the prices mentioned on their website so it means they are not hiding anything. I think people are talking a lot about spamming and not being a good gtlds or tld. Personally, I believe it is a good one because it is generic so any one can buy it and prices are just amazing. I have never seen such pricing in a long time. @mad409 checkout dotintra if you want to invest the least amount and get the most domains.

•••
Exactly because my experience with the .GDN spammers is personal, I have every right to share this info here before your "plug" - or should I say, spam - about this $2.99 "opportunity" sends more unsuspecting domainers towards this worthless "investment."

Telling me to type slower, that's a good one. :D

BTW I'm all against all type of spam, so go ahead, Google "XYZ spam".

Actually if you'd read entire threads my opening post is about renewal fees but talking about spam or how someone thinks the extension stinks, all the other stuff trying to enter the conversation is a derail.

If you want to talk about extensions and spam I'm asking you to go and start a thread about that. Surely you can understand, if not I'll type slower...

And I'll add when doing the search you suggested above I see it goes to your site as #1, nice plug or should I say spam! LOL

Now who's falling for what my friend?

100% True.. ;)

•••
Compared to other first-year promos, $12.50 for 3 years is a super nice cushion of time. Like WS were as low as $3, but next year will be $20-25 to renew. Pretty smart, like who is going to turn down that offer compared to the $60. Very nice find @Frank Demitri

@mad409 Did you find out if you can transfer to one of these better priced registrars after the waiting period? Oh, never mind, I think transfers are $60 anyway. Maybe they'll run a special on transfers too.

•••
Compared to other first-year promos, $12.50 for 3 years is a super nice cushion of time. Like WS were as low as $3, but next year will be $20-25 to renew. Pretty smart, like who is going to turn down that offer compared to the $60. Very nice find @Frank Demitri

@mad409 Did you find out if you can transfer to one of these better priced registrars after the waiting period? Oh, never mind, I think transfers are $60 anyway. Maybe they'll run a special on transfers too.
@username

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back