Domain Empire

discuss .gdn only $2.99 but look out!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I've tried to register some nice .gdn domains since last year but they all got rejected as reserved. They were very expensive therefore I was only going for one, maybe two.

I noticed recently that 101domain has them at $2.99 per year. WHAT, $2.99 per year? I tried many names and they had a premium price tag for the first year and a high rate per renewal. I didn't want to do that so I went looking for some $2.99 per year domains as advertised.

I wound up registering 36 chip LLL.gdn domains, 33 went through and 3 still processing. I was in heaven thinking dang LLL chips and the extension is chips too. Again I'm thinking wow just $2.99 per year while doing this.

I got to thinking tonight that this was to good to be true, so I logged in and went to renew one of the domains and the renewal is $384.99 per year.

So to make a long story short I F'd up but it was misleading saying /SALE/ .gdn $2.99 / yr.. Yes it's $2.99 for one year and then $384.99 to renew and this wan't clear to me.

I do admit that if I would have used the drop down for more years that it in fact shows the increase but I always reg a year and leave them on auto renew so I didn't click the drop down.

I reached out for an explanation as to why this isn't explained better during registration but I'm pretty sure I have one year to try and move some of these before renewal time comes around.

I've posted this as a warning, something to watch out for as I personally haven't ran into this type of situation before.

Attachments

• sale.GIF
    sale.GIF
    57 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ok nominate.com let me reg a LLL for 3 years at $10.00 per year. It's in pending so lets see if it goes through at that rate. If they can do three years for $30.00, which I'm not holding my breath, I can transfer 101domain list over to them and hopefully get the same rate.

This would need to be confirmed of course. Lets see if this goes through first as I've never heard of them before.

Good luck - if so, remember that a transfer is possible at the earliest after 60 days of registration if I am not wrong - you may know that of course.

•••
Good luck - if so, remember that a transfer is possible at the earliest after 60 days of registration if I am not wrong - you may know that of course.

I think you can still pay for the transfer, but it won't go thru for 60days. It will just sit there pending, but paid for.

•••
edit (message deleted because of posting error)

Last edited:
•••
is a LLL.gdn really worth the reg' fee of $2.99 if you can't find a buyer.
I'm not sure if you have to disclose the renewal cost to them, but as soon as you do(or they find out), then the deal is off.

In most cases it's normal that you can't find the buyer.
In most cases it's normal that the buyer will find you(r domain), if interested.
To keep that in mind makes domaining more relaxing.

And, of course you have to disclose the renewal fee of a domain which you sell - thats a fully natural part of this business in my eyes.
BTW, there are domains which have a (much) higher renewal fee than .gdn - just think about the .car/s

Last edited:
•••
is a LLL.gdn really worth the reg' fee of $2.99 if you can't find a buyer.
I'm not sure if you have to disclose the renewal cost to them, but as soon as you do(or they find out), then the deal is off.

I pointed out that I misunderstood how 101domain was presenting these domains for-sale therefore I registered several. Now I'm going to see if I can find a place where they can be renewed at a decent price, also see if I get any hits on them, or will let them drop in 1 yr..

I like LLL chips with this extension and a lot could change in the course of a year with pricing. I personally think the .gdn system is flawed as pricing is all over the place. Or these registers are jacking up the rate.

In the mean time I'll promote what I have: http://domainbyowner.net/-gdn-domains.html

•••
It is a pointless extension anyway. Why do you even pay attention ? If you have money to burn, even if it's only $2, donate to charity. That's what domainers should be doing.

•••
It is a pointless extension anyway. Why do you even pay attention ? If you have money to burn, even if it's only $2, donate to charity. That's what domainers should be doing.

They're all pointless unless someone wants to buy them. :D

For the record I donate to lot's of charities, ty.. ;)

•••
Of course, if I would have 'money to burn', even if it's only $2, I would donate to charity.
But I didn't have 'money to burn'.
That doesn't mean that I only donate if I have 'money to burn'.

You may have your own reasons - but I think it's simply not possible to see a new TLD as 'pointless' after 'a few days of existing'. You may see it as 'pointless' for use but if it's just dealable (like chips, they are pointless in average but dealable) than that's the point.

So also in this case, time will tell and we will see how this TLD will work; if there are business opportunities in it or not.

First some have to try it to find it out, others will find it out by watching what others try.

Last edited:
•••
.GDN UPDATE: Sent them an email about all of this, got a reply. They said that their renewal isn't $384.99 and wanted to know the site doing this.

I was direct about all of this but they seem like they want to be in line with everyone else, good thing.

Hopefully what I've pointed out to them will bring .GDN within reason for domainers and any .GDN renewals moving forward. Not sure, let's see...

I will update if I hear more.

•••
BTW, there are domains which have a (much) higher renewal fee than .gdn - just think about the .car/s

That's why no one is reg'n .cars and those that have will never be able to sell them in the aftermarket.

.GDN UPDATE: Sent them an email about all of this, got a reply. They said that their renewal isn't $384.99 and wanted to know the site doing this.

Sooo, what is the renewal price? If more than $20, I would still be dropping stuff.

Why don't you just buy 5L.com or 6L.com that end with GDN? If you are using the GDN as part of the CHIP domain hack. I might have misunderstood your reason to go with .gdn in the first place.

Plus in a year they could raise the price of the renewal to $384.99, what's to stop them?

•••
Just for fun I tried gdn at other registrars
https://www.bnamed.net/ random gibberish domain - 2 years $515
https://www.dotintra.com/
3 letter chip $600-2100
good dictionary words $500-600
random long or 2 words $2.99

Registration Renewal Transfer Restoration

dog.gdn Domain is NOT Available
tree.gdn Domain is NOT Available
xxx.gdn Domain is NOT Available
fkn.gdn* Domain is available 600
ttf.gdn* Domain is available 1700
htp.gdn* Domain is available 2100
dogfun.gdn Domain is available 195.00 2.99
doghappy.gdn Domain is available 195.00 2.99
embarking.gdn Domain is available 195.00 2.99

•••
seems high priced. Just wait for other new tlds to come out with lower renewal. The registry might hold back the LLL's though or price them high.

High renewal will make it hard to hold onto a domain until you find the end user at the end of the rainbow.

•••
They're actually at a few others, too: https://www.intracomme.com/index.do

I grabbed this screenshot from intracomme:

6zCwIktE

Look at the bottom part "$12 for 3 year reg". What a crock, I hadn't been able to find that anywhere. Pricing is so vague on this extension, even if you visit nic.gdn the only active link they have to a registrar is to intracomme, although they also show gandi and markmonitor as being registrars.

@mad409 Anytime I see an extension at 101domain on sale, I ALWAYS use the dropdown to see the actual renewal fee, because their wording of a sale price is very misleading. It's not per year, it's only the first year. Actually, off-topic, but just an FYI, their current sale price for dot-men IS per year, and also applies to renewals! Pretty sweet deal.

Anyhow, it is for this horribly marketed and vague .GDN pricing I completely held off any registering any, even with a tempting sale price tag of $2.99. Am I gonna lose out? Who knows. If they miraculously lower their renewals by next year, than there will be some big winners judging from some posts here.

But in my opinion, dot-gdn is just as a bad an extension as dot-onl. Kinda meaningless.

•••
It's the old bait and switch scam.

•••
They just started., we will se how ist going on.

•••
There's still plenty on top shelf !

•••
Sooo, what is the renewal price? If more than $20, I would still be dropping stuff.
Why don't you just buy 5L.com or 6L.com that end with GDN?

Pricing seems to be an issue from the reply I received from the extension. I'm gonna see what they do but I agree it needs to be under $20.00. I'm not interested in 5 or 6 L ending with GND in .com.

seems high priced. Just wait for other new tlds to come out with lower renewal. The registry might hold back the LLL's though or price them high.

It's hard to predict the future but I understand what you're saying.

I grabbed this screenshot from intracomme:

6zCwIktE

Look at the bottom part "$12 for 3 year reg". What a crock, I hadn't been able to find that anywhere.

@mad409 Anytime I see an extension at 101domain on sale, I ALWAYS use the dropdown to see the actual renewal fee, because their wording of a sale price is very misleading. If they miraculously lower their renewals by next year, than there will be some big winners judging from some posts here.

But in my opinion, dot-gdn is just as a bad an extension as dot-onl. Kinda meaningless.

I have registered one LLL.gdn at one of the provided registers on the list. I reged for 3 years at 10.00 per yr, let's see what happens. I'm betting they will email me saying it's 10.00 for the first yeat and xxx after that but I don't know yet.

I will always check the drop down at 101domain moving forward. :)

I like ,gdn, very generic like .xyz, personally I like .onl better than .online but again I like short. I 'm pretty sure they're getting more regs but I think there was a .onl that sold higher than .online but that's another debate. End of derail//.

•••
It's the old bait and switch scam.

You're right but the closer you look at this type activity it appears to be coming from the registers and not so much the extension itself. When I get a documented response from .gdn saying we don't have any $384.99 renewals and I'm looking at them on 101domain, something doesn't smell right.

Well GDN is aware of it so lets see what if anything they do about it. ;)

•••
You're right but the closer you look at this type activity it appears to be coming from the registers and not so much the extension itself. When I get a documented response from .gdn saying we don't have any $384.99 renewals and I'm looking at them on 101domain, something doesn't smell right.

Well GDN is aware of it so lets see what if anything they do about it. ;)
It's because .GDN themselves are completely unorganized. I believe their original plan was to require a 2 year minimum registration. (some proof HERE.) At $190/year, that is $380. After failing to get registrars onboard, they probably changed their game plan. However, I'm willing to bet 101domain already had their programming done, thus the price is still appearing as "$384.99".

•••
It's because .GDN themselves are completely unorganized. I believe their original plan was to require a 2 year minimum registration. (some proof HERE.) At $190/year, that is $380. After failing to get registrars onboard, they probably changed their game plan. However, I'm willing to bet 101domain already had their programming done, thus the price is still appearing as "$384.99".

Thanks for the link but it doesn't outline pricing on renewals and that's the biggest issue IMO. It should be interesting to see what the outcome of my one LLL I registered at nominate, 3 yrs for $30.00. This test should tell us something... https://www.nominate.com/gdn.shtml

•••
Thanks for the link but it doesn't outline pricing on renewals and that's the biggest issue IMO. It should be interesting to see what the outcome of my one LLL I registered at nominate, 3 yrs for $30.00. This test should tell us something... https://www.nominate.com/gdn.shtml
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-14%20at%2012.30.41%20AM-1457933463-918.png

Hopefully, this is wrong too.

Last edited:
•••
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-14%20at%2012.30.41%20AM-1457933463-918.png

Hopefully, this is wrong too.

I hope so too because none of this is what's currently taking place. What's restoration mean at $250.00? Maybe it means if it goes past renewal date and you renew it's then $250.00, not sure though.

Last edited:
•••
I think .gdn buying is not more then loss your money
And see the renew rates of .GDN 384$ OMG
Real Big Spam

•••
I hope so too because none of this is what's currently taking place. What's restoration mean at $250.00? Maybe it means if it goes past renewal date and you renew it's then $250.00, not sure though.
Yes, restoration fee is the fee which you have to pay if you want to renew it after it expired allready.
That's possible for about 1 month I think.

I see my .gdn regs simple as a 'one year try' if the price will not change drastically down.

Last edited:
•••
I think .gdn buying is not more then loss your money
And see the renew rates of .GDN 384$ OMG
Real Big Spam

The price of a renewal has nothing to do with 'spam'.
Accept the price or leave it.
If we don't like the price we don't have to buy it - but simply to call it 'spam' is not ok in my opinion.
It's easy to say / write 'spam'.

In the meanwhile it looks like that it's trendy to say 'spam' to any TLDs which are not our preferred ones.
This TLD is just a few days (GA) old.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back