NameSilo

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
News...

RF.cn was sold in an April 20 auction for 1.01m CNY. RF can stand for 瑞丰 (lucky and abundant), 日丰 >>

Three 3L .com domain names were sold in April 20 auction. LJW.com (丽江网=Lijiang city net) was sold >>

DY.com may have been sold to a Chinese buyer. DY has many Chinese meanings, such as 电影 (movie), 打印 >>

Four in Top 10 registrars of .science extension come from China, according to the latest >>

•••
•••
News...

JR.cn was sold in April 21 auction for 1.308m CNY. Most attractive meaning of JR is 金融 (finance) >>

677.com was sold for 375k CNY. 677 rhymes with 乐趣趣 (fun and interesting). This sale is quite >>

cang.cn was sold for 310k CNY. CANG is a single-pin name that can mean 藏 (store), 仓 (storehouse), 苍 >>

YongJiu.com was sold in April 20 auction for 305k CNY. The domain name is 2-pin and stands for 永久 >>

•••
News...

JR.cn was sold in April 21 auction for 1.308m CNY. Most attractive meaning of JR is 金融 (finance) >>

677.com was sold for 375k CNY. 677 rhymes with 乐趣趣 (fun and interesting). This sale is quite >>

cang.cn was sold for 310k CNY. CANG is a single-pin name that can mean 藏 (store), 仓 (storehouse), 苍 >>

YongJiu.com was sold in April 20 auction for 305k CNY. The domain name is 2-pin and stands for 永久 >>
Kassey-can you tell which platforms these were sold through? Thank you

•••
Kassey-can you tell which platforms these were sold through? Thank you
They all come from the eName site. While the news did not explicitly state where the sale came from, I think they are from eName.

•••
News...

This article is saying that Chinese companies and individual should not register domain names in >>

The Chinese Internet has reached its 22th year. What are the names that were first acquired in >>

Suffix "mall" names are getting popular. TLmall.com (太力商城) just went online, following recent >>

Video is hot. Baidu just set up a separate company to focus on video service, using subdomain >>

•••
News...

626.net was sold at an auction for 6 figures CNY. 6 rhymes with 溜 which literally means 'skate'. In >>

Le TV is a big money spender on domain names and also big news maker. Last year it bought Le.com >>

West.cn is doing a campaign on .我爱你 (I Love You) by slashing the price by 40% from 178 to 108 CNY >>

608.net sold recently in an auction for 108k CNY. 6 and 8 are lucky Chinese numbers and 608 as a >>

•••
News with Chinese source...

eName interviewed several experienced domain investors and here are the major points. (1) Most focus on .com or .cn (2) Consideration of end user application is important. (3) Investor may buy a Pinyin for one Chinese meaning, but actual buyer may use it for another meaning. (4) For speculation, timing in buying and selling is critical. >>

The .ren extension, launched in Dec, 2014, is nearing 300,000 in registrations. The .ren registry has been approved by MIIT so that registrants can get ICP (Internet Content Provider) licenses for their websites to operate in China. >>

QB.cc sold for 200k CNY in April 26 auction. QB may mean 钱包 (wallet), 钱币 (money), 抢宝 (grab treasure), 情报 (spy intelligence), 铅笔 (pencil), 奇兵 (ambush by soldiers), and 七宝 (sever treasures). >>

Registration of .top continues to grow -- from 205,232 a month ago to the latest of 341,952, which is about 67% increase month over month. Top 3 registrars are West, Alpnames, and eName. Top 10 registrars are dominated by Chinese companies. >>

Also, today's post: Frank Schilling Going to China?

•••
We own Pinyong.in ( to hire/employ) and Xinggan.in (sexy) Now we'll see if .in takes hold in China. Patience.

•••
We own Pinyong.in ( to hire/employ) and Xinggan.in (sexy) Now we'll see if .in takes hold in China. Patience.
I don't see much activities on .in domain names in China. Do you see any positive development?

•••

Total Chinese IDN .公司 (company) registration as of April 27 is 50,441. Top 3 registrars are Xin Net, Aliyun (HiChina), and Xiamen. So, this extension is still too small to impact the corporate world of China. >>

RGM.com sold for 6 figures CNY. RGM may mean 热干面 (hot dry noodles), 热感冒 (catch cold), 人工面 (artificial face), 热歌门 (hit song gateway), and 认购门 (subscription gateway). Domain name can be used in food, music, medicine, and shopping. >>

每日优鲜 (Mei Ri You Xian) has received massive Series B funding, but domain name does not match company name. Corporate site is MissFresh.cn. Name is two relatively easy to understand English words, but they don't match the company name. Company owns unused MeiRiYouXian.com. Will the company upgrade to MRYX.com? >>

凹凸租车 (Ao Tu Zu Che) has just received a fresh round of funding, but its domain name is AtZuChe.com which is half acronym and half Pinyin. It also owns AoTuZuChe.com (live but not promoted as corporate site, a bit long too). I think ATZC.com will be best and it's on sale for 391,908 CNY on eName. >>

Also, today's post: Why Did This 4L (LUAN.com) Fetch Such a High Price? >>

•••
I don't see much activities on .in domain names in China. Do you see any positive development?
Hi Kassey not a lot as of yet but i read something recently and i just cant recall where and it was about .in gaining traction in China-if I find the link ill post it. We wanted to have at least a couple of excellent pinyin names -as posted above- in case .in does take hold.

•••
Kassey-just read your newsletter-excellent so thank you. We saw the "AtZuChe" post-we own zudeche.com so we'll send them a note-you never know. Also-do you happen to know where the name LUAN.com was auctioned? Thank you.

•••

There is already evidence of Chinese involvment in .in domains already. Up to half of all 3L.co.in domains are chinese owned. Also, 4N.in domains are also owned partly by the Chinese. IMO, CHina will still look "next door" and see another big business opportunity in India, because they already know how big business has gotten in China already.

•••
There is already evidence of Chinese involvment in .in domains already. Up to half of all 3L.co.in domains are chinese owned. Also, 4N.in domains are also owned partly by the Chinese. IMO, CHina will still look "next door" and see another big business opportunity in India, because they already know how big business has gotten in China already.
What about .de names in China? Taking hold at all? Thank you ( anyone comment please)

•••

533.com sold for 2.72m CNY in auction. 533 rhymes with 我想想 (I think about it) and can be used for educational games and ability testing. Similar to the sale of 677.com I reported on April 23, this domain name still has a operating site owned by a company founded in 2003 providing study abroad programs. Are they closing the business? Or they are having cashflow problem? Reason for sale is unknown. >>

5191.com sold for 230k CNY in auction. 5191 rhymes with 我要就要 (I want, and I just want) and can be used in many consumer-oriented products or services. The number 1 is increasingly liked by end user companies because it rhymes with 要 (want), 意 (opinion), 艺 (art), and 衣 (clothes). >>

GP.cn and RF.cn sold again, for 1.09m and 750k CNY respectively in April 29 auction. GP.cn has been sold several times, with the most recent one being April 12 for 1.12m. GP has excellent meanings, such as 股票 (stock as in stock market), 挂牌 (listed on stock market), 购票 (buy ticket), 光盘 (optical disc), and 公平 (fair). RF rhymes with 瑞丰 (lucky and abundant), 日丰 (abundant every day), 日付 (daily pay), 热风 (hot wind), and 乳房 (breast) >>

32.cn sold for 1.6m CNY in April 29 auction. 32 rhymes with 相爱(love each other), 三爱 (three loves), and 商爱 (love business). 32.cn was sold in April last year for 1.7m, then resold again in September for over 2m. So, its price has dropped significantly. >>

746.com was sold for over 900k CNY in recent auction. 746 is the dialing code for the Yongzhou city in Hunan province (湖南永州). Already, 746.com.cn is a portal on Yongzhou. >>

Also, today's post: Being Creative in Domain Names >>

•••
Kassey-re your newsletter "companies thinking outside the box for a .com name" We own a small hedge fund and were looking for a name just in case we enter China but also in case we wanted to sell the name in the future to a financial institution. We came up with eGeGu.com ( "gegu" shares in a public company).

•••
what is the Pinyin acronym or abbreviation for Terrible/Awful? and are there any equivalents to these words in Chinese pinyin? I looked up suck or sucks and just pulls up something along the lines of the VERB not the adjective. can you help? looking for those letters that translates to Terrible or awful or bad

Bad?
Terrible?
Awful?
Sucks?

Thanks.

•••
what is the Pinyin acronym or abbreviation for Terrible/Awful? and are there any equivalents to these words in Chinese pinyin? I looked up suck or sucks and just pulls up something along the lines of the VERB not the adjective. can you help? looking for those letters that translates to Terrible or awful or bad

Bad?
Terrible?
Awful?
Sucks?

Thanks.
kepa or kepa de

•••
kepa or kepa de

yea thanks london. I already knew that but how do you turn that into Chinese (western character) pinyin abbreviations?

so like will kepa or can it be turned into KP? tried it. doesn't mean terrible or awful. instead it means. "I am afraid". I'm looking for 2 letters that is understood as translating into the words Terrible or sucks or awful.

tried Kep which "can" work as terrible short for kepa but I'm looking for much short. any ideas?

•••
yea thanks london. I already knew that but how do you turn that into Chinese (western character) pinyin abbreviations?

so like will kepa or can it be turned into KP? tried it. doesn't mean terrible or awful. instead it means. "I am afraid". I'm looking for 2 letters that is understood as translating into the words Terrible or sucks or awful.

tried Kep which "can" work as terrible short for kepa but I'm looking for much short. any ideas?
You may be looking for something that doesn't exist - one thing ive learned about pinyin is that words can have many meaning so kepadeche.com could mean "terrible car" etc but im just not sure you can reduce it down to what you want at least in the .com names. One idea maybe to look at Kassey's thread re 0-99 meanings and also a-z meanings and then combine them - good luck.

•••
true true. it's ok gave on it. as the similar domains I was interested in that were available were deleted and dropped and no one grabbed them.

ever heard of .sucks? I thought about it late last nite. how .sucks basically blackmailed companies to buy their brand name on this extension or else end up not owning Facebook.sucks.

lol they sold these .sucks reserved domains for huge money.

so I thought what if you chose some big company in China and slapped a "Kepa" at the end of their company name? in .com? of course that's obviously a TM problem. but interestingly enough. many company names in china can be reduced to acronym abbreviations.

so.. Chinese Name Pinyin Acronym + Kepa.com? lol

what do you all think?

I doubt most Chinese companies secure trademarks for the pinyin versions of their company names.

plus letters by themselves would be too much to register trademarks for.

plus all these Chinese extension companies always push the idea that Chinese companies better register their brands in their new extensions to protect their brand to eliminate trademark issues.

is this a bad or good idea?

•••
true true. it's ok gave on it. as the similar domains I was interested in that were available were deleted and dropped and no one grabbed them.

ever heard of .sucks? I thought about it late last nite. how .sucks basically blackmailed companies to buy their brand name on this extension or else end up not owning Facebook.sucks.

lol they sold these .sucks reserved domains for huge money.

so I thought what if you chose some big company in China and slapped a "Kepa" at the end of their company name? in .com? of course that's obviously a TM problem. but interestingly enough. many company names in china can be reduced to acronym abbreviations.

so.. Chinese Name Pinyin Acronym + Kepa.com? lol

what do you all think?

I doubt most Chinese companies secure trademarks for the pinyin versions of their company names.

plus letters by themselves would be too much to register trademarks for.

plus all these Chinese extension companies always push the idea that Chinese companies better register their brands in their new extensions to protect their brand to eliminate trademark issues.

is this a bad or good idea?
Bad idea-their legal dept would simply show a pattern of "shaking down" companies on your part-not that some don't deserve it - lol

•••
hahaha. well of course! but letters just by themselves? slap a Kepa at the end? companies most often TM their full company name and maybe the abbreviations. not the Pinyin Acronyms I think? strange be true. I've noticed some pinyin acronyms of big companies that aren't trademarked.

and a domainer registering can say hey these letters can mean anything around the world. if it just so happens to also mean your company name? and you have a problem with it? well then make an offer. simple as that. but you can't take it or sue me on grounds that these letters translates from pinyin to your company name. plus you didn't register these letters as your trademark.

•••
hahaha. well of course! but letters just by themselves? slap a Kepa at the end? companies most often TM their full company name and maybe the abbreviations. not the Pinyin Acronyms I think? strange be true. I've noticed some pinyin acronyms of big companies that aren't trademarked.

and a domainer registering can say hey these letters can mean anything around the world. if it just so happens to also mean your company name? and you have a problem with it? well then make an offer. simple as that. but you can't take it or sue me on grounds that these letters translates from pinyin to your company name. plus you didn't register these letters as your trademark.
There's a saying we have in the hedge fund business "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" I'd say the same applies here but good luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back