IT.COM

poll Should NP downvoting be anonymous?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think NP voting should be anonymous?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, your username should be private

votes
    52.6%
  • No, your username should be public

votes
    47.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Simple question. Do you think downvoting and upvoting should be anonymous on Namepros, yes or no?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What’s the point of Polls?
IMG_5607.jpeg

Why do you love making Namepros toxic with anon dvs?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/downvoting-should-not-be-anonymous.1302308/#post-8921983

Last edited:
•••
Why do you love making Namepros toxic with anon dvs?
Personally, I don't like quick replies and downvotes being anonymous. At the same time, I'm a little worried about suddenly deanonymizing a bunch of data that was previously pseudo-anonymous. We've disclosed from day one that votes aren't actually intended to be anonymous and that we intend to eventually publish that data, but it's worrying nonetheless.

It's hard to be fair to everyone--or, rather, it's hard to make everyone happy while simultaneously being fair.

•••
It's hard to be fair to everyone--or, rather, it's hard to make everyone happy while simultaneously being fair.
Look at my poll!
Only one person is happy with anonymous downvoting.

You trying to please ghosts make NP more toxic.

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I don't like quick replies and downvotes being anonymous. At the same time, I'm a little worried about suddenly deanonymizing a bunch of data that was previously pseudo-anonymous. We've disclosed from day one that votes aren't actually intended to be anonymous and that we intend to eventually publish that data, but it's worrying nonetheless.

For that problem, you may be able to keep the old data anonymized as it is now (without de-anonymizing), while only offering de-anonymized options starting from a certain date in the future.

Last edited:
•••

How about removing them and discounting them from the totals? Might that be an option? Is it even possible?

•••
1.png

That each member should be treated the same way, nobody can disagree with that.

So, why 5 forum members think that advertisers receive special treatment when it comes to moderation? and/or that it's not true that mods cut ties with advertisers who pushed that line in the past?

Paul, aren't you interested in knowing about the reasons for the 5 downvotes?
I think you should because those 5 downvotes can be read as 5 forum members saying that you are lying.

•••
Part of the job of a moderation team--or any oversight body--is to protect the minority from the majority.
Minority - it's admins and mod team. Majority all common users :ROFL:

pocket rounders GIF

p.s. I got it only now: Probably NP staff are using downvotes most of all :xf.wink:
They wanna some likes too, but users are not so generous to them.
1690994887580.png

It's old but good post

The Psychology of Social Media: Why We Like, Comment, and Share Online​

https://buffer.com/resources/psychology-of-social-media/

Last edited:
•••
What did he wrong?
What are those trolls disagreeing with?
Most of the downvotes came from people who are complaining about downvoting in this thread. That seems to be a common occurrence.

•••
Most of the downvotes came from people who are complaining about downvoting

I'm downvoting the downvote option.

ANARCHY! πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

•••
@Peter45

πŸ™ Thank you for the reference.

πŸ‘Ž The abuse of downvotes here is truly unacceptable. Especially with this era’s rising interest in domains; and the opportunity to teach/learn. The @NamePros team is obviously tolerant of The Downvote Gang’s behavior. After all, they LITERALLY play host to it.

🀝 Instead of constructively capitalizing on the thirst for knowledge many new investors have, this platform is becoming the antithesis of an environment that fosters healthy dialogue and helps position investors for success. It’s rather unfortunate on a number of levels.

πŸ’° Badges, seniority, ad-space and counterintuitive communication sums up NamePros pretty well at this point. One can receive helpful information from those who believe in being of service; but The Downvote Gang seems hell-bent on making NamePros β€œa read-only platform”.

πŸ—£ Hopefully people like @Domain noob recognize there’s no such thing as a stupid question when making a concerted effort to learn and pave a way for your business to thrive. Despite QUAD’s unwarranted negative impact score, the door to request an unbiased perspective is always open.

πŸ₯Š The Downvote Gang will come out swinging; but the truth expressed here will be applicable regardless.

πŸ‘€Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
No. The biggest argument against anonymisation is that it allows people to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.
Agreed, but you can't have accountability without transparency. One is a prerequisite for the other.

Who cares about misinformation.
You have completely missed the point.
This is going back to responsibility, accountability, and transparency. It's hard to hold people accountable when they're anonymous.

Looking at the top downvoters, I suspect there's quite a bit of correlation between people who are downvoted and people who downvote others. That's a concerning cycle of toxicity indicating that anonymous voting doesn't work.

•••
Downvoting options should be disabled.
Most of the downvotes came from people who are complaining about downvoting in this thread. That seems to be a common occurrence.
Agreed, but you can't have accountability without transparency. One is a prerequisite for the other.

This is going back to responsibility, accountability, and transparency. It's hard to hold people accountable when they're anonymous.

Looking at the top downvoters, I suspect there's quite a bit of correlation between people who are downvoted and people who downvote others. That's a concerning cycle of toxicity indicating that anonymous voting doesn't work.
Paul,

Would you agree that certain people and/or subjects receive a disproportionate amount of downvotes?

Isn't there any way to just disable downvotes going forward?

That way you would not have to disclose the previous downvote data, but at the same time also not carry on the same system going forward.

There is still the dislike / disagree option, or just leaving a comment.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This guy opened a thread with ca 20 replies.
They massacred him

Show attachment 244730

Show attachment 244731

What did he wrong?
What are those trolls disagreeing with?
I agree. This is basically a new domain investor, and they have a -8 for simply asking a question?

Then another -10 for asking a question?

What did they do wrong?

You will notice I have multiple responses in that thread.

The OP seemed like they were genuinely interested in learning and were courteous.

This negative downvote system really hurts meaningful engagement IMO.

@Paul

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Isn't there any way to just disable downvotes going forward?

Nope.

This DownFu* is getting a lot of people out of NPs (X). β€œMaybesβ€œ are not going to end this …. and if the management doesn’t want to recognize the outcome … then, in a year-two there is no more NamePros … Let’s see

Seriously …

Regards

Last edited:
•••
It was me.
I wanted someone to talk about downvoting.
I undid my -5, your move, @Paul.

Stop empowering anon bullies and shills β€”

Last edited:
•••
You should be ashamed at allowing anon downvotes.

Empower toxic cowards.

Last edited:
•••
I agree. This is basically a new domain investor, and they have a -8 for simply asking a question?

Then another -10 for asking a question?

What did they do wrong?

You will notice I have multiple responses in that thread.

The OP seemed like they were genuinely interested in learning and were courteous.

This negative downvote system really hurts meaningful engagement IMO.

@Paul

Brad
It was a great thread, many intelligent replies, highest reply got a +14, no reason OP should be at -8 (now -3)

@Paul, this feature makes no sense; backwards logic.

Last edited:
•••
Nope.

This DownFu* is getting a lot of people out of NPs (X). β€œMaybesβ€œ are not going to end this …. and if the management doesn’t want to recognize the outcome … then, in a year-two there is no more NamePros … Let’s see

Seriously …

Regards
It was me.
I wanted someone to talk about downvoting.
I undid my -5, your move, @Paul.

Stop empowering anon bullies and shills β€”
I really preferred the thanks / like / agree / dislike / disagree system without any anonymous voting period.

Even then (and now), I rarely click dislike or disagree. I would rather leave a comment than doing that, and certainly over leaving anonymous downvotes.

I think that system encouraged more dialogue via actual comments than just leaving anonymous votes.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I really preferred the thanks / like / agree / dislike / disagree system without any anonymous voting period.

Even then (and now), I rarely click dislike or disagree. I would rather leave a comment than doing that, and certainly over leaving anonymous downvotes.

I think that system encouraged more dialogue via actual comments than just leaving anonymous votes.

Brad
I believe in positive thoughts and emotions.
If you want to be a toxic anonymous tool; NP shouldnt enable you with anonymous cloak.

Begs the question; and my favorite debate; β€œRemove all negative actions?” No. But put your name to it.

Last edited:
•••

I tend to agree with the view expressed a bit ago by @bmugford and others in this thread about the anonymous dislike voting being negative to the community, and not, that I can see, serving any useful purpose. It seems, as case noted, that some are particularly hard on newcomers simply asking questions.

I personally would probably prefer a system that we take out dislike altogether. Also, that it be suggested that anyone leaving a disagree should add a comment briefly explaining why they disagree. I have no problem with people expressing disagreement, and it is valuable to counter ideas that are expressed by may not be sound, but to be helpful in a forum surely it is better to share why you disagree.

-Bob

•••
I tend to agree with the view expressed a bit ago by @bmugford and others in this thread about the anonymous dislike voting being negative to the community, and not, that I can see, serving any useful purpose. It seems, as case noted, that some are particularly hard on newcomers simply asking questions.

I personally would probably prefer a system that we take out dislike altogether. Also, that it be suggested that anyone leaving a disagree should add a comment briefly explaining why they disagree. I have no problem with people expressing disagreement, and it is valuable to counter ideas that are expressed by may not be sound, but to be helpful in a forum surely it is better to share why you disagree.

-Bob

πŸ‘ You’re spot on @Bobhawkes! The fact it has gone this long without being addressed is an indicator there could be more at play here. I totally agree with the disagree button and having to provide a brief statement about why you disagree for context purposes. With all due respect, NamePros is really showing its age and priority in this matter. It’s 2023; and regular updates to one of the only domain forums in the industry should be a given. Yet, it doesn’t seem to be.

πŸ”¨ This downvote situation is putting the proverbial nail in the coffin of a platform that could, and should, be a leader in domain education. Tolerating β€œdownvotes on questions” is fostering a β€œread-only” environment. One where the primary voices are those with badges and elite member status. NOT GOOD. The β€œ.com only rhetoric”, β€œpigeon poop talk”, β€œattacks on alternative views” and β€œThe Downvote Gang” won’t give Namepros much of a leg to stand on moving forward.

🀦 It’s a bit disheartening…….and with this post will likely come a slew of unnecessary downvotes. But hey, it’s what NamePros allows.

πŸ‘€Mel
QUAD Domains

Last edited:
•••
@bobhawkes

πŸ’ Here’s another example of the downvote ridiculousness here on NamePros:

New user joins forum.

QUAD literally says β€œπŸ‘‹Greetings!” and it has -2 downvotes…..so far. (See attachment.)

🀦 Folks are literally downvoting a welcoming statement. Imagine what impression this leaves on new users about who’s who on the platform. This is entertainment at this point for the folks running NamePros apparently. Because of things like this, β€œThe Downvote Gang” will soon become β€œThe Downvote Mob” acting under the guise of being β€œNamePros”. #counterintuitive.

πŸ‘€Mel
QUAD Domains

Attachments

• 6B6E8A8D-15BF-43D9-9F9A-841EE2FD1687.jpeg
    6B6E8A8D-15BF-43D9-9F9A-841EE2FD1687.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 40
•••
Question for moderator @Bravo Mod Team
Why you start a thread and then turn it into an ask paul anything thread?
Quad, being a minus means you have made quite an impact.
Keep posting you will get to minus xxxx
Then you will be worth something πŸ’
Sometimes, though, it's best to not take the downvotes too personally. The implication in that case is that the response didn't really have content. It's better to simply do a like or thanks button, rather than perhaps a comment that is a general greeting.
Nonetheless, it is interesting that sometimes members with signficant downvotes have a useful comment that gets them into trouble. And the comments may be worthwhile seriously considering, even if not popular.

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes, though, it's best to not take the downvotes too personally. The implication in that case is that the response didn't really have content. It's better to simply do a like or thanks button, rather than perhaps a comment that is a general greeting.
Nonetheless, it is interesting that sometimes members with signficant downvotes have a useful comment that gets them into trouble. And the comments may be worthwhile seriously considering, even if not popular.

πŸ™ Thanks for chiming in @LoveCatchyDomains!

🀦 The sheer possibility that posting β€œπŸ‘‹Greetings!” when someone introduces themselves would go against an unspoken forum etiquette is rather ridiculous. Especially considering there are far more concerning things that are stated here on the regular.

πŸ™… It’s increasingly clear that being too positive elicits more negative downvotes on NamePros. It’s definitely not something to lose sleep over; but it does make one ponder the real life implications of people believing things like this are somehow fine professionally.

πŸ‘€Mel
QUAD Domains

Last edited:
•••
Would you agree that certain people and/or subjects receive a disproportionate amount of downvotes?
Not as much as I expected. However, if we instead look at the people giving the downvotes (rather than receiving them), then we see that a small percentage of people are responsible for the overwhelming majority of downvotes. They’re relatively indiscriminate in who they downvote.

You should be ashamed at allowing anon downvotes.
That’s not a helpful argument.

Personally, I’m strongly opposed to anonymous downvotes and am in favor of immediately opening them until such time as we are able to implement a better solution. I’m not the sole decision maker at NamePros.

I’m not in favor of removing downvotes: I think that’s useful feedback, and there’s nothing wrong with posting sometime controversial. We don’t have to weight downvotes as heavily as upvotes; that’s a knob we can tune until we hit a sweet spot.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back