NameSilo

question New Domain – Extensions and Strategy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain2001

Impact
I had a question about strategy and what is appropriate when trying to create and sell domain names. If I were to come up with a newly invented name which I think would make a good brandable domain name, which extensions should I buy besides the dot com?

Also, let’s say I registered - greatname.com – greatname.org – greatname.io – Am I obligated to tell the buyer of the dot com that I have also registered and intend to sell other extensions?

I would appreciate hearing how other domainers address these issues. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Earlier, agencies sold matching 1800-tollfree numbers to club with domain names.

•••
If you really want brand protection, don't forget to register Trademark.

•••
Personally if I were to come up with a made up brand name I'd only register the .com version of it. If however you did decide to register more extensions you'd be under no obligation to tell the prospective buyer although if you did you might be able to work out a package deal.

•••
Personally if I were to come up with a made up brand name I'd only register the .com version of it. If however you did decide to register more extensions you'd be under no obligation to tell the prospective buyer although if you did you might be able to work out a package deal.
Thanks for your feedback. I didn’t think I would be under any obligation to tell the buyer about any other extensions. After all, once I list it and other people see it, they would be free to register other extensions and try to sell them.

•••
Domainers threaded on the "scarcity gamble", in early dot-com days. By regg'ing the same name in 3 extensions, you would have a say in the price. But, today there are so many nGTLDs, and buyers can always go for a .xyz, or .lol, and claim their address.

•••
Domainers threaded on the "scarcity gamble", in early dot-com days. By regg'ing the same name in 3 extensions, you would have a say in the price. But, today there are so many nGTLDs, and buyers can always go for a .xyz, or .lol, and claim their address.
Understood, but if it is for a business, a dot com will still have the most value and credibility.

•••
I had a question about strategy and what is appropriate when trying to create and sell domain names. If I were to come up with a newly invented name which I think would make a good brandable domain name, which extensions should I buy besides the dot com?

Also, let’s say I registered - greatname.com – greatname.org – greatname.io – Am I obligated to tell the buyer of the dot com that I have also registered and intend to sell other extensions?

I would appreciate hearing how other domainers address these issues. Thanks.

The bigger question is why do you think your invented name would have any suitors, especially the ones willing to pay $xxxx for it if they did not pick it up for $10 in the previous 3 decades.

Also, most likely, that you won't have any communication with your buyers, if you get any, unless you do outbound, as they'll be buying via third party, like Afternic.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back