IT.COM

advice How reliable is Estibot valuation?

NameSilo
Watch

felilah

Established Member
Impact
Hi namepros!

I was looking for domains to invest while I came across this non dot-com four letter domain which has an Estibot valuation of $22,000. How reliable is it? Can I possible sell it for that price or even half the price? I am pretty new to domaining so any advice would be helpful :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Admittedly, their valuations seem to be very puzzling. Many domains seem to be given valuations of less than $100. I've had domain with a 2K appraisal, that value hasn't changed at all for years. So it's unclear how their database is updated.

Perhaps others on NP have better insights on this.

It's concerning to me that when a domain marketplace cites the Estibot, it may unduly hurt some sellers chances for a sale. And some very high appraisals on one auction site clearly did not seem to increase bidding. So potential buyers appear to not find the high valuations compelling.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Type in:-

Metaverse dot com

Last edited:
•••
Hundreds of people have already asked your exact same question.
You can spend all day reading the answers. Gaze up at that search at the upper right on this page.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hi namepros!

I was looking for domains to invest while I came across this non dot-com four letter domain which has an Estibot valuation of $22,000. How reliable is it? Can I possible sell it for that price or even half the price? I am pretty new to domaining so any advice would be helpful :)
Their valuations baffle me. I've stopped using them years ago. I have a 4 letter name (bunh.com) which they currently value at $27,000! 'I would be over the moon' if I could get anywhere near this amount.

Last edited:
•••
If you search for "domain valuations" (without the "") in your browser, the first three valuers which come up are Estibot, GoDaddy, and Dynadot. Which coincidentally happens to be the 3 valuers I have decided to try to get bulk valuations from. Does anyone have or know of an api which has these individually or together?

Alternatively. Which other valuer(s) have more reliable prices than any of these three?

Last edited:
•••
If you search for "domain valuations" (without the "") in your browser, the first three valuers which come up are Estibot, GoDaddy, and Dynadot. Which coincidentally happens to be the 3 valuers I have decided to try to get bulk valuations from. Does anyone have or know of an api which has these individually or together?

Alternatively. Which other valuer(s) have more reliable prices than any of these three?
Not familiar with the apis or more reliable pricing ones.

Thanks, though, for the tip on Dynadot appraisals. Dynadot was working on their appraisal tool, but I was unaware that it was already public.

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot's valuation is quite new and available only on single names. I've asked them for a bulk value, but they haven't replied yet.

•••

It's been a while since I've used estibot, but I don't think they hand out $22,000 valuations very easily so there must be something metric based that signals that high of an appraisal?

QUOTE="papeter, post: 9157900, member: 941264"]
Their valuations baffle me. I've stopped using them years ago. I have a 4 letter name (bunh.com) which they currently value at $27,000! 'I would be over the moon' if I could get anywhere near this amount.
[/QUOTE]

It's definitely not right 100% of the time, but c'mon it's gotta be correct in spotting a high value domain more than 0% of the time. Perhaps, at least 1.42% of the time?

To say 0% discredits their ability to push the creme to the top (find gems) when sorting bulk lists by high to low estibot values. Similar for GoDaddy valuations, sorting auctions by high GD valuation to low GD valuation can sometimes help spot more generic gems in the upper half of GD valued domains, and the final auction price usually reflects that. Thus, these services have to be greater than 0%.

Some of the quoted below 2009 DomainInvesting.com article by @EJS and the comments within may still ring true today. Albeit now 15 years later, the discussion seems to have shifted more towards GoDaddy valuations.

https://domaininvesting.com/some-thoughts-on-the-weekend/
I know a lot of professional domain investors don’t particularly like using Estibot for appraisals, and they are amused when a seller lists the Estibot value in a domain sales thread. However, one way to use Estibot’s very favorable values is when someone inquires to buy a domain name from you. Since the values seem more “end user-ish,” why not cite that valuation in your reply as a starting point for negotiations? Of course, you need to make sure the value is in line with your asking price.

Alan September 27, 2009 At 4:07 pm
The problem that Estibot has and always will have is that serious domainers dont care about any estimated price value from any automated system. Estibot is good for data but for value – I cant think of a single soul who cares about Estibot values except domainers who still think its going to get them a better price...

**Again it's been a long time since I've used estibot enough to say otherwise, so anyone please feel free to correct me.

I came across this non dot-com four letter domain which has an Estibot valuation of $22,000. How reliable is it? Can I possible sell it for that price or even half the price?

Of course without sharing the domain or even the TLD, nobody can give you the feedback you're looking for. Could it be a glitch? Is it a trademark? Does it make sense the the TLD you found?

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot's valuation is quite new and available only on single names. I've asked them for a bulk value, but they haven't replied yet.
Yes, I see there was a limit on the number you could check on their appraisal tool today. Interesting valuations. AND at this point its good that they have a button for additional input. So if you think the appraisal is too high, OK, or too low, you can provide insight to help support that view.

So it might be interesting to compare the Estibot and Dynadot appraisals to see if there are any correlations..

•••
Hi namepros!

Estibot was designed generic domains and for EMD:s. when it comes to abbreviated domains like four-letter .com:s it relies on unreliable comparisons. Take nfts.com that sold for $15 million. Estibot can't categorize this, so it's going to skew the average for four-letter domains.

But like people are saying Estibot isn't that reliable anymore.

My suggestion would be to go down to the appraisal forum and ask for an appraisal.

•••
Hi

do you want values/comps for your names?

i have some crystal balls you can subscribe to, for cheap price.
you can gaze into them to get the desired results you're looking for.

been domaining before the bot was invented, and these balls have served me well during those years.
not a promo, but lmk if interested.

imo....

•••
No one really cares what I think, but for $10.43 DomainDestiny.com is available to register, and the POS Go Daddy values it @ $1,514. Also, registered for 23 + years, but just dropped. I don't own it as of this very moment, but for $10.43 wtf:xf.wink:

ps. i guess i just broke the tie domain vs name:ROFL:

•••
Messmebot is very reliable when you are sad just plug a name in and you will be happy for 5 minutes.

•••
I put zero weight into what estibot or other valuation tools say. Only domainers care about valuations. End users care about the name.

I would not base a purchase on what estibot says. Better to search NameBio for comparable keyword sales.

•••
I put zero weight into what estibot or other valuation tools say. Only domainers care about valuations. End users care about the name.

I would not base a purchase on what estibot says. Better to search NameBio for comparable keyword sales.
This whole industry is seriously fu*ked up. I just bought for $10.43 a decent two word domain that refers to "Flip Flops" that GD values @ $1,447 and Estibot values @ <less than $100.

The name is actually pretty "catchy" and living in a beach/resort community flip flops are very popular.

Finally, while end users care mostly about the name, it's Go Daddy's appraisal that will help me sell it for what it's actually worth:xf.wink:

•••
Finally, while end users care mostly about the name, it's Go Daddy's appraisal that will help me sell it for what it's actually worth:xf.wink:
Have you had some success with this, Rich?

•••
Have you had some success with this, Rich?
Not yet, but I'm about to now that I have a 40% technical partner. You did a great job for me Joe, but not getting so much as a nibble on some very good .link names was discouraging to say the least:xf.cry:

•••
Not yet, but I'm about to now that I have a 40% technical partner. You did a great job for me Joe, but not getting so much as a nibble on some very good .link names was discouraging to say the least:xf.cry:
Yeah, that was tough. You had some good .link names, but I guess the extension didn't have the legs it needed.

Great to hear you have someone working with you to get things moving, though. Good luck with the sales.

•••
Here's a case study. I own 594168.com. Estibot appraises it at $24,000. Woo-hoo. Estibot correctly recognizes that the domain is for sale on Afternic. Registrar information is wrong. Extension availability check misses that the .com is registered (!). Estibot assumes that the following names/numbers are comparable, when they obviously are not:

IMG_594168.jpg

I also own 595168.com (don't ask why). Estibot valuation is $7,900, even though this name doesn't include '4' (less valuable in China) and this time the availability check finds more extensions taken, including the dotcom. That's solely because the "comparable" sales are now the following:

IMG_595168.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back