NameSilo

Learning a new language

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I would like to learn Hebrew, but already for a while I've been searching for a good way to do so without a lot of success. I came across hebrewonline.com which is set up by the government of Israel but it seems a bit pricy. Often a synagogue or Jewish community center organise such courses (I am not jewish but usually these courses are open to "goyem") but where I live the jewish community is very tiny so I am unsure if there are any such programs. Is there any good course online or in internationally present language schools which isn't too expensive and still offers a good course?

Note that, some words and expressions aside, I'd start from scratch. I know 4 languages but unfortunately for Hebrew I'd start from close to zero. I did hear from most of my Israeli pals (those that were not Hebrew native speakers but learnt it after moving to Israel) that the language is quite easy to learn once you get past the stage of adapting to the different alphabet.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why do want to learn Hebrew? What compels you to learn the language?

I suggest you join a language pairs forum so you can learn Hebrew from those who really speak the language and teach you in exchange for another language that you help them learn also.

•••
Learning a new language is great! I was thinking recently I would love to learn French,
I took it for like 1 year in school but that was a long time ago. Goodluck with the hebrew!!! :)
Try Rosetta Stone

•••
Jessica, do you know any good such site? I was thinking of language exchange as well: it's a pleasant way of learning and free for all involved. The one thing is, sometimes people sign up for such sites for dating or networking purposes rather than for learning the language. Do you know a good site?

BD, how does Rosetta Stone work? Is it an online course of some sort? The name sounds familiar somehow...
By the way, if you need any help with French... Not my mothertongue but I am from Belgium originally and we all learn French in school so I have a habit of speaking it rather well.

Why Hebrew? Because I am deeply in love with the Middle East and would love to live in Israel for a while. However, if you're not jewish it ain't easy to get a job as working permits tend to be expensive. By learning Hebrew chances increase a bit, and also it would help me a lot to integrate if I'd be lucky enough to realise the dream someday. Last but not least, I find it such a beautiful language.

•••
I think that it is enough to know at least German and French languages, the others are superfluous for me.

•••
Hi, Gerrit!

I suggest you join these very helpful forums:

MyLanguageExchange.com
WordReference.com

You can also get some ideas here:
http://www.balashon.com

I would love to learn French also. But I'm targeting Korean. I already know how to read and write Hangul/Hanguk, their alphabet. I taught English to Korean kids before so it's something "close" to my heart, plus I'm an avid fan of Korean drama/actors. :)

Ok, good luck, or should I say, God bless you on your lessons and on your Journey to the Land of Promise. I read the Bible so Hebrew is not a strange word to me. :)

Last edited:
•••
Learning a new language is great! I was thinking recently I would love to learn French,
I took it for like 1 year in school but that was a long time ago. Goodluck with the hebrew!!! :)
Try Rosetta Stone

Still looking to learn French? I am a french speaker and I would be please to share some quality chat discussion with you...
''N'hésite pas à me contacter" standing for Do let me know...:)

•••
Hi, Gerrit!

I suggest you join these very helpful forums:

MyLanguageExchange.com
WordReference.com

You can also get some ideas here:
http://www.balashon.com

I would love to learn French also. But I'm targeting Korean. I already know how to read and write Hangul/Hanguk, their alphabet. I taught English to Korean kids before so it's something "close" to my heart, plus I'm an avid fan of Korean drama/actors. :)

Ok, good luck, or should I say, God bless you on your lessons and on your Journey to the Land of Promise. I read the Bible so Hebrew is not a strange word to me. :)

Balashon sounds a bit Israeli-like, is it a specific Israeli site?

Thanks for the hints, and if you need advice on French I'd be happy to help (not a native speaker but learnt it at school and used it frequently for my job)

•••
MyLanguageExchange.com only allows a free "HI" to a member but no PM communication :( unless you pay. But if I pay, I can just as well go with HebrewOnline.com which is approved by the Israeli government and run by professional teachers. If I choose for the far less professional methods such as language exchange instead, I'd at least expect it to be free, if I do pay I'd rather have a professional teacher...

Is there any language study website that is free and where Hebrew is offered?

•••
As a person that English is my 3rd language. I recommend you get 3x5 cards and label everything in your house. Memorize a few words to talk to yourself asking what this item and another item and the relationship from one item to another item. It'll help.
Then do NOT memorize.. absorb and live the language! The goal is to think in the language, not translate. Then as you learn to think in in the language, you can add to it and learn who, what, when, where, how... and everything else.. then start and keep talking to yourself in the language. You need to immerse yourself in it.

•••
That is a good idea, but how do you do the grammatical part? You can indeed look up translations in dictionaries and start expanding your vocabulary, but to make sentences you need to use verbs and such as well.

(I won't mention the different alphabet Hebrew uses because I guess that's just a matter of memorising which Hebrew character equals which character in Latin alphabet)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back