NameSilo

discuss I'm a meat eater, but did you know that plants feel pain and scream when being harvested/slaughtered too?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
A lot of vegans and vegetarians reference the horror of the thought of an animal being in pain or screaming out when being slaughtered/harvested to become food for meat eating humans. But did you know that plants also scream out and feel pain when being harvested/slaughtered to become food for plant eating vegetarians and vegans, too?

I eat both; Meat and Plants, as our bodies need a little something from both to develop, heal, grow, maintain energy, and function properly. Sure there's supplements, but even those came from a harvest/slaughter and then ground up into powder to make pills and shakes from later at one point.

Some interesting references to help in your own research to fact check if plants actually feel pain or scream when in danger or damaged:
Cutting grass obviously causes damage to the plant, so it screams in pain, but it does in smell. The grasses release smelly volatile molecules that indicate something is harming the plant...
Source
Stressed plants show altered phenotypes, including changes in color, smell, and shape. Yet, airborne sounds emitted by stressed plants have not been investigated before. Here we show that stressed plants emit airborne sounds that can be recorded from a distance and classified. We recorded ultrasonic sounds emitted by tomato and tobacco plants inside an acoustic chamber, and in a greenhouse, while monitoring the plant’s physiological parameters. We developed machine learning models that succeeded in identifying the condition of the plants, including dehydration level and injury, based solely on the emitted sounds. These informative sounds may also be detectable by other organisms. This work opens avenues for understanding plants and their interactions with the environment and may have significant impact on agriculture...
Source
According to researchers at the Institute for Applied Physics at the University of Bonn in Germany, plants release gases that are the equivalent of crying out in pain. Using a laser-powered microphone, researchers have picked up sound waves produced by plants releasing gases when cut or injured...
Source

The above has me looking at my thriving garden a bit differently now, similar to that juicy steak, chicken strips, and pan seared salmon... But dang, they taste good when seasoned and cooked to perfection. So, I suppose I'll keep gardening and harvesting to get the fresh seasonings for my protein meats and side dishes.

Sorry my little screaming potatoes, but you sure do taste great baked and fully loaded!

There's really no reason or motivation for this thread. It's just some interesting information for break-room discussion. :)

Stay hungry my friends (Meat eaters, Vegans, and Vegetarians)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now I feel better when I pull those blasted weeds out :)

•••
The Simpsons figured that out a long time ago already...

circle of food, simpsons.jpg

•••
Guess I'll go back to getting veggies from the store - let someone else murder my food for me.

Wonder about this/this direction as a more humane option in the future:

Nature's Ultimate Protein Made from Air

We’ve unlocked nature’s ultimate protein, grown with air, water, and energy – defining the future of wholesome food production through landless agriculture.

https://airprotein.com/

•••
Now I feel better when I pull those blasted weeds out
Hi

i feel better when i blaze up my weed
and i saved the seeds, to plant again next year.

:)

imo...

•••
If you love animals, don’t be a vegan, eat meat …

Last edited:
•••
•••
I always fine-chop dill and garlic being as humane as possible.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back