IT.COM

events It's bad. No worse. It's sad.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
OK imagine you run a domain business and you sell $7.9 million dollars a year worth of domains but it costs you $18 million dollars to operate the business.
What would you do?
Well MMX owners of such names as .work .beer .london .boston decided to pay the CEO $1.1 million and stop outbound sales.
Did you hear that guys, the main stream bloggers will not pick that up THEY STOPPED OUTBOUND SALES OF PREMIUM NAMES.
They had 13 sales people whose only job was selling premium names in 2015 and it didn't work. These sales people could negotiate the price given they own them and had millions to choose from, a big advantage but it was not financially viable; endusers were not interested.
So a $10million operating loss. They are one of the biggest pure play new gTLDs company and they are hurting like many of them. Will be sold for cents on the dollar within 2 years. Their only hope is .vip launches next month in China.
Invested? Strong sell.
Announced today by the CFO reporting 2015 audited accounts to the London Stock Exchange

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I certainly empathize but I still don't like paying huge amounts for a good domain name because the supply has been artificially reduced by people who have six figures to buy up domain names they aren't using for actual websites.

The additional TLDs means I don't have to, which is why I like them. And probably is why domainers tend to not like them.
Domainers like valuable domains at great prices. Domainers have been probably the largest investors in new gTLDs. I don't like paying for anything, but I have to. I wish I could set the prices for everything I want.

•••
I certainly empathize but I still don't like paying huge amounts for a good domain name because the supply has been artificially reduced by people who have six figures to buy up domain names they aren't using for actual websites.

The additional TLDs means I don't have to, which is why I like them. And probably is why domainers tend to not like them.

You have made a great case why new gTLD make a poor investment. People looking for them are generally looking for cheap options, not to pay a premium price.

Brad

•••
Domainers need to face the reality that their trade is why there is demand for new gTLDs.

The hoarding by domainers has created a demand for additional supply, that is why we want new gTLDs.

I'm not supporting the premium names, I'm disgusted with how the registries are behaving.
I'm not supporting the sheer quantity that ICANN is approving - it is too many too fast.

But I am sick and tired of spending hours looking for domain names for a project just because the good ones on .com are all gone, with a very large chunk of them owned by domainers who haven't used them in years yet want insane prices for them.

And when I have contacted domainers to ask about buying them, I'm often met with high pressure sales tactics that make used car salesmen seem honest.

That's why I like the new gTLDs. Despite the fact that so many are premium, I can find good names without wasting hours of my time.

Why do you need many names?

Why are you hoarding them? Just first develop a project, only after you are done and ready to launch spend few minutes looking what is available, register and that is it!

Calling others hoarders while doing exactly the same is quite weird.

•••
But I am sick and tired of spending hours looking for domain names for a project just because the good ones on .com are all gone, with a very large chunk of them owned by domainers who haven't used them in years yet want insane prices for them.

What makes you think that if a domain is not owned by a domainer, it would still be available and not taken ? There are million of students, developers, SEO's etc out there who would want cars.com for a fun project.

The market dynamics command that good domains will be taken.

•••
a lot of corps are designed to eventually LOSE $$$ on purpose!

•••
What makes you think that if a domain is not owned by a domainer, it would still be available and not taken ? There are million of students, developers, SEO's etc out there who would want cars.com for a fun project.

The market dynamics command that good domains will be taken.

Certainly some would be taken, but an awful lot of the domains I seek that are taking are parked with a "buy me" notice.

That's fine, it's all about free market, but free market means that additional supply is welcome.

•••
You have made a great case why new gTLD make a poor investment. People looking for them are generally looking for cheap options, not to pay a premium price.

Brad

Something costing more doesn't make it better.

However paying more when there are less expensive options that have no technical advantage is foolish.

-=-

Someome earlier said the .com button his phone is a technical advantage. I thought about that.

deviant.email - that's thirteen keys to press

deviantemail.com - that's sixteen keys for those without a .com key and thirteen for those with.

What's the technical advantage again?

•••
I actually like new gtlds. The end users buy them, because they don't want to pay fraction of 1% of their investment for something that could improve the bang on their buck by 5% to 50%, without even thinking on renewal prices, difficulty to communicate, length, traffic/sales leak etc. They operate like that for a year or two and then they go back to .com and suddenly they are fine paying mid $x,xxx for the name.

I have already had few sales of that nature and ngtlds do prep end users very well to a good name's values.

•••
The only reason .com gives more "bang for the buck" is because it has momentum.

Quality content and services on the new gTLDs can easily change that momentum, just like quality search results made Google king.

•••
The only reason .com gives more "bang for the buck" is because it has momentum.

Quality content and services on the new gTLDs can easily change that momentum, just like quality search results made Google king.

Momentum is everything. Quality content and services will be placed disproportionately more on .com, .org, .cctld, as those with money, skills and ideas to do that will not be wasting their efforts trying to help ngtld owner registries to overturn the momentum.

•••
In the interest in fairness there is one technical advantage to .com - when used for e-mail.

Many web applications have broken code that does not see the new gTLDs as valid. Bad programming, but its out there.

However that will change with time and it also isn't a major issue since most companies outsource their e-mail to an Email Service Provider often with a different domain than their website.

•••
Momentum is everything. Quality content and services will be placed disproportionately more on .com, .org, .cctld, as those with money, skills and ideas to do that will not be wasting their efforts trying to help ngtld owner registries to overturn the momentum.

Momentum has value, I don't deny that, but it is easily changed and it is changing.

The young generation often has appeal to doing things differently than the generation before them.

•••
Many corporate firewalls also don't recognize new gtlds.

Idiots at google have forwarded domains.google.com to domains.google and now I cannot access it from work.

So probably will have to move my domains to another registrar from there. How is that for hurting your business by choosing ngtld over gtld?

Last edited:
•••
Many corporate firewalls also don't recognize new gtlds.

Idiots at google have forwarded domains.google.com to google.domains and now I cannot access it from work.

So probably will have to move my domains to another registrar from there. How is that for hurting your business by choosing ngtld over gtld?

I have not encountered corporate firewalls that block the new gTLDs but I suppose they may exist.

•••
This is too funny
Kelowna.com is gone, so I will get the .horse instead

•••
btw - I just looked up google.domains and it is not a valid domain, even without a firewall. Maybe that's the real problem.

It could be a DNSSEC issue, if they have invalid DNSSEC it will not resolve if your nameserver enforces DNSSEC (mine does)

•••
•••
btw - I just looked up google.domains and it is not a valid domain, even without a firewall. Maybe that's the real problem.

It could be a DNSSEC issue, if they have invalid DNSSEC it will not resolve if your nameserver enforces DNSSEC (mine does)

My bad. I meant domains.google (another reason not to do it, if even experienced person can confuse which word is on which side of the dot)

This site can’t be reached
domains.google’s server DNS address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

•••
My bad. I meant domains.google (another reason not to do it, if even experienced person can confuse which word is on which side of the dot)

This site can’t be reached
domains.google’s server DNS address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

confusion is actually one of the reasons I prefer the new TLDs.

A lot of domains I have trouble remembering because they are too many words. I can't remember if there is a dot between them or not, etc.

•••
Domainers need to face the reality that their trade is why there is demand for new gTLDs.

The hoarding by domainers has created a demand for additional supply, that is why we want new gTLDs.

I partly agree and disagree with this. That would warrant a separate thread, but put simply it is fallacy to think that by removing domainers from the equation there would be abundant supply of good domain names. First of all, not all great domain names are held by domain investors. Second, if there were no domainers the good domains would still be registered anyway, by private individuals or corporations, and many of which would be less willing to sell than we are.
While this is hard to admit, my conclusion is that domainers play a role in the domain ecosystem that might be positive sometimes. It is an unintended consequence of our trade.

I think the desire for alternative extensions has always been overrated. If there was any truth in that statement, people should have been flocking to new extensions long ago. They are not embracing them.

Brad
And that's why it's not business lost to domainers anyway. Those people have no intention of buying on the aftermarket.
However, if your domain name is not memorable or causing confusion, there is a hidden cost here. That also applies to any poor domain in general, even in .com

•••
http://lp.fiverr.com

There's an example of a .com that I would have a very difficult time remembering.

It could be argued they could get a better easier to remember domain name from a domainer and that is true, but most Internet businesses fail, so getting a better easier to remember domain name from a new gTLD seems more logical to me. Less loss when an idea does fail to profit.

EDIT - that domain has some other serious problems, such as the raw domain producing an error. http://lp.fiverr.com/lp-fb-cartoonists/ works.

•••
Perhaps developers don't realize this but at least some people do pay attention to the domain name when selecting a service provider (amongst competing alternatives). When I see some company operating on a hyphenated domain or inferior TLD like .Info I tend to seek other companies with a more respectable domain. That does not mean they have to have a one-word .COM - but part of my quality criterion is based on their branding. FYI any company operating on a new TLD is going to be disregarded by me (though I would consider a small local business on a .Net) .

•••
Perhaps developers don't realize this but at least some people do pay attention to the domain name when selecting a service provider (amongst competing alternatives). When I see some company operating on a hyphenated domain or inferior TLD like .Info I tend to seek other companies with a more respectable domain. That does not mean they have to have a one-word .COM - but part of my quality criterion is based on their branding. FYI any company operating on a new TLD is going to be disregarded by me (though I would consider a small local business on a .Net) .

I tend to not judge by superficial appearances but you are right, a lot of people do.

That's why conmen have it so easy - nice smile and firm handshake and people just turn over their money.

•••
That's right, a good name automatically instills more confidence and credibility. People don't always realize that, but they gauge URLs when looking for products/services.
What's your very first impression when you are looking for web hosting and you have a few providers URLs in front of you, before you even check out their respective websites:

hosting.com, 1sclasstwebhost.com, easyhost.net, superhoster.info, superbweb1.com

Which one would you instinctively perceive to be the most professional and trustworthy, just looking at their respective domain names ?

•••
I use OVH.com ) Of course, 3L right away conveys reputability. Have also used SoftLayer, which is ok brandable, but chose based on reference (would have skipped based on name) and that was before they were taken over and ruined by IBM.

In short, names matter, end users use them as criteria and not only because they look at it as cool thing, but also that subconscious/conscious experience have taught them that the better the name, the less chance of scam/dishonesty/bad service.

If someone got Furniture.com, he is never going to setup a furniture sale scam website there (get payment, never ship the furniture, move to another domain, repeat).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back