Dynadot

events It's bad. No worse. It's sad.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
OK imagine you run a domain business and you sell $7.9 million dollars a year worth of domains but it costs you $18 million dollars to operate the business.
What would you do?
Well MMX owners of such names as .work .beer .london .boston decided to pay the CEO $1.1 million and stop outbound sales.
Did you hear that guys, the main stream bloggers will not pick that up THEY STOPPED OUTBOUND SALES OF PREMIUM NAMES.
They had 13 sales people whose only job was selling premium names in 2015 and it didn't work. These sales people could negotiate the price given they own them and had millions to choose from, a big advantage but it was not financially viable; endusers were not interested.
So a $10million operating loss. They are one of the biggest pure play new gTLDs company and they are hurting like many of them. Will be sold for cents on the dollar within 2 years. Their only hope is .vip launches next month in China.
Invested? Strong sell.
Announced today by the CFO reporting 2015 audited accounts to the London Stock Exchange

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The new gTLDs need to cut the premium cr4p and stop trying to do what domainers exist to do.

We will never know if a successful model was to allow all names available on a first come first serve basis with .com like renewals. No ngTLD had the balls to do it or they were all to greedy out the gate to leave some red meat for domainers to do their work. Totally undervalued species the domainer

•••
They will go bust and be bought, rather than vanish.
That is true but some are performing so badly I cant see that they $25,000 annual fee you have to pay for each string. dotHorse will be the first one put down to stop the poor thing unduly suffering any longer.
We should have a book on which will be the first new gTLD to be put down.

•••
That is true but some are performing so badly I cant see that they $25,000 annual fee you have to pay for each string. dotHorse will be the first one put down to stop the poor thing unduly suffering any longer.
We should have a book on which will be the first new gTLD to be put down.
EDIT: That is true but some are performing so badly I cant see that they WILL JUSTIFY THE $25,000 annual fee you have to pay ICANN for each string.

•••
I think part of the problem is there were too many released too fast. The supply was way larger than demand.

•••
It certainly creates a tense market and again it is downright criminal imho. Failures are going to bring instability to the DNS at the expense of the registrants.
Have you noticed that when they used to release extensions one by one (about one per year or so) - they weren't successful either. You know what they say: insanity is doing the same thing over and again - and expecting different results.
Competition is good, but what we have is not competition but chaos. The whole program is poorly thought out.

I have a better idea: any TLD applicant should go through a 'prerelease' phase where they would solicit paid pre-registrations from end users. For example if they get 10K paid pre-registrations @ $10 a pop - then the TLD could be deemed financially viable and approved for delegation since it has established the existence of a market before even being launched.
If they fail => back to square one, review the business proposal and try again.

Pros: We would have more financial security thus more stability, fewer zombie TLDs, less spam and probably more bona fide development.
Cons: Icann and the registries stand to make less money in the process. This is the biggest problem.

Optional: require that applicants pass drug and alcohol tests...

•••
I think part of the issue is there were alternate root DNS systems starting to appear, and ICANN wanted to stop that.

I love the concept of the new gTLDs.

There are several keywords where the price domainers wanted for the .com was just way out of reach and I was able to get the same keyword on a new gTLD for a very reasonable price.

I didn't like the fact that the Internet was essentially becoming a playground for the well-funded excluding people like me. New gTLDs solve that problem, though it could have been implemented better.

•••
people like me. New gTLDs solve that problem, though it could have been implemented better.

Really? Where are all the great new gTLD at reasonable prices? They hardly exist.

Most desirable terms are registry held for high registration and/or renewal fees. I don't see many problems being solved with the new gTLD program, other than how to make ICANN a bunch of money.

Brad

•••
DomainInvesting.com just highlightedh a nTLD myths busters video sponsored by 101Domains. One of the major selling points of the new TLDs is keyword availability "because all the good .COMs are taken". Well now that we have 16 million new TLDs mostly registered by domainers and many more with expensive premiums or renewals, do the new TLDs really offer keyword availability for a typical .COM registration fee? Not at all. To get a decent keyword in most any TLD, you are going to have to pay a premium price. So would you rather pay a premium for a .COM or a .XYZ? TLDs like .Net, .CO, .TV offer a more brandable and recognizable TLD at a pricepoint less than the .COM but not as ridiculous-looking as many new TLDs. Regardless selling any alternate extension is not an easy task. I see no evidence yet that bulk buying of new TLDs is going to turn out to be a good investment. The more logical alternative is that buyers go to two-word .COMs or short brandables.

•••
Really? Where are all the great new gTLD at reasonable prices? They hardly exist.

Most desirable terms are registry held for high registration and/or renewal fees. I don't see many problems being solved with the new gTLD program, other than how to make ICANN a bunch of money.

Brad

The ones I have registered have all been under $30 - like deviant.email and tease.network

tease.net - it is for sale. Look at what they are asking for it. I won't pay that, but tease.network I think was only $25 or something close.

•••
Alice-put yourself in the position of a developer who wanted to develop a site with the keyword "tease"

Go to Godaddy. Type in "tease" in the domain search box. Of course .COM is taken but Godaddy will give you about a dozen choices available under $60. You can also go to Godaddy Auctions and you will find eight domains which are tease.TLD. There are hundreds of aftermarket domains listed at Godaddy Auctions which contain the word "tease" so which would you choose if you were a developer with a limited budget? How much are you asking for tease.network and why would they choose yours when there are so many other options available for less than what you are asking? Keep in mind Tease.net sounds a whole lot better than Tease.network and we are talking about the brand for a project which will entail many thousands of dollars in development and marketing costs.

•••
Alice-put yourself in the position of a developer who wanted to develop a site with the keyword "tease"

Go to Godaddy. Type in "tease" in the domain search box. Of course .COM is taken but Godaddy will give you about a dozen choices available under $60. You can also go to Godaddy Auctions and you will find eight domains which are tease.TLD. There are hundreds of aftermarket domains listed at Godaddy Auctions which contain the word "tease" so which would you choose if you were a developer with a limited budget? How much are you asking for tease.network and why would they choose yours when there are so many other options available for less than what you are asking? Keep in mind Tease.net sounds a whole lot better than Tease.network and we are talking about the brand for a project which will entail many thousands of dollars in development and marketing costs.
I saw that TeaseSpace.com, TeasePlace and many other names with Tease are available :)

•••

I actually own many of the tease.TLD that are taken. All of them very reasonably priced.

And I am a developer who wants to develop a site with the keyword "tease" - several of them, actually.

•••
I saw that TeaseSpace.com, TeasePlace and many other names with Tease are available :)

None of which I like, nor do I believe they would stick in the mind better than tease.Network (or the other TLDs I have for this project)

One word plus TLD is better. Easier for brain bookmarks.

•••
I just think that the "newness" factor is dying quickly and I think the new tlds will be very, very slow going. Sure, domainers will do flips here and there, but I just don't see them, except for one or two, doing much any time soon.

The registries need to get creative and do some marketing. Build some nice sites. You have to spend a bunch of money and get some good companies using them. It's gonna take alot of time.

And let's not forget the ccTLDs. Alot of people use ccTLDs over the new gTLDs too. There are just so many, and some of them are just downright useless.

•••
I should not that for all the new gTLDs I have ideas for centered around the keyword tease, only one was a premium and for that one, there was a similar gTLD where it wasn't premium.

I would have preferred the premium one, but I don't need it. Just like I don't need the .com or .net even though both would be nice.

The new gTLDs give me one word options that don't exist with .com unless you have a lot of financial backing.

•••
Example...Today, for a project, I bought:
internet.gd - $29 p/yr

I could have chosen:
internet.build - $4,499 p/yr
internet.car - $2,590 p/yr
internet.cars - $2,590 p/yr
internet.courses - $2,999 p/yr
internet.degree - $2,999 p/yr
internet.desi - $6,999 p/yr
internet.family - $2,999 p/yr
internet.fashion - $1,249 p/yr
internet.film - $2,999 p/yr
internet.lgbt - $4,999 p/yr
internet.market - $2,999 p/yr
internet.ngo - $6,999 p/yr
internet.physio - $1,249 p/yr
internet.rodeo - $1,249 p/yr
internet.shiksha - $6,999 p/yr
internet.xyz - $12,999 p/yr

and so on..all very expensive.

These prices are ridiculous. I don't see anyone buying them. And by the way, try searching a domain on one registrar, then go to another. The prices are very different.

GoDaddy
internet.build - $3,799 p/yr

UnitedDomains

Dynadot
internet.build - $3.600 p/yr

NameCheap
internet.build - $4,095 p/yr

How's that? I can understand a dollar or two, but $600 per year different. Crazy stuff. I feel bad for new domainers and end users that don't know.

•••
The new gTLDs give me one word options that don't exist with .com unless you have a lot of financial backing.

In my case I think the .info is a better fit for the kind of content heavy, informational sites I like to build than the dot com. Given the tiny niches I am attracted to the dot com pricing makes no sense.

•••
Example...Today, for a project, I bought:
internet.gd - $29 p/yr

I could have chosen:
internet.car - $2,590 p/yr
internet.cars - $2,590 p/yr
internet.courses - $2,999 p/yr
internet.degree - $2,999 p/yr
internet.desi - $6,999 p/yr
internet.family - $2,999 p/yr
internet.fashion - $1,249 p/yr
internet.film - $2,999 p/yr
internet.lgbt - $4,999 p/yr
internet.market - $2,999 p/yr
internet.ngo - $6,999 p/yr
internet.physio - $1,249 p/yr
internet.rodeo - $1,249 p/yr
internet.shiksha - $6,999 p/yr
internet.xyz - $12,999 p/yr

and so on..all very expensive.

These prices are ridiculous. I don't see anyone buying them. And by the way, try searching a domain on one registrar, then go to another. The prices are very different.

GoDaddy
internet.build - $3,799 p/yr

UnitedDomains

Dynadot
internet.build - $3.600 p/yr

NameCheap
internet.build - $4,095 p/yr

How's that? I can understand a dollar or two, but $600 per year different. Crazy stuff. I feel bad for new domainers and end users that don't know.

Yes I agree the premiums are ridiculous and need to go away.

But for many keywords there are still plenty of domain names available on the new gTLDs that are not premium and are not available on .com except for very high prices from squatters.

The new gTLDs give me those options. There would be more options if there weren't premiums, but even with premiums, I still have many inexpensive options I would not have had without them, and that is why I like them.

I do think premiums need to go away, and I also think ICANN has approved way too many too fast - and in many cases what ICANN has approved is confusing because they are too similar to each other - like there being both a ,photo and a .photos

•••
Yes I agree the premiums are ridiculous and need to go away.

But for many keywords there are still plenty of domain names available on the new gTLDs that are not premium and are not available on .com except for very high prices from squatters.

The new gTLDs give me those options. There would be more options if there weren't premiums, but even with premiums, I still have many inexpensive options I would not have had without them, and that is why I like them.

I do think premiums need to go away, and I also think ICANN has approved way too many too fast - and in many cases what ICANN has approved is confusing because they are too similar to each other - like there being both a ,photo and a .photos

I believe it will take a long time for general use and acceptance of the new gTLDs. I don't think the goal should be to equal or rival .com. Most people simply think website=whatever.com and sites that do use the new gTLDs will lose some traffic and customers possibly, simply because of this fact.

What I find interesting is that when I review the list of delegated strings from ICANN, it is almost like their program has created more corporate domain extensions than commercial extensions sold by registrars. Everything from .brother, cisco, .nec, .bridgestone, .hitachi, .xerox, .datsun, .infiniti, .nissan...and so on.
I think maybe the extension program is used by ICANN to sell extensions to big companies more than anything. Just find that interesting.

https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

•••
Seems like the list of extensions is longer at namesilo, did new ones come out?
https://www.namesilo.com/pricing.php
.tax
.taxi
.surgery
.network don't get it .net is a flop
.works
.lgbt
.exposed
.dental
.dentist
.review and .reviews .wtf
.sale and .forsale

It will be a long time before we see superbowl ads with .gripe

Releasing all these extensions has become stupid, and not releasing the good names is squatting

delete_icon.gif
420.army
Registration $834.00 $834.00
delete_icon.gif
420.college
Registration $10,310.00 $10,310.00
delete_icon.gif
420.faith
Registration $522.94 $522.94
delete_icon.gif
420.forsale
Registration $1,555.00 $1,555.00
delete_icon.gif
420.market
delete_icon.gif
420.news
Registration $51,510.00 $51,510.00
delete_icon.gif
420.racing
Registration $522.94 $522.94
delete_icon.gif
420.review
Registration $2,585.00 $2,585.00
delete_icon.gif
420.sale

PROCESSING: Free!
TOTAL: $70,949.88
:xf.eek:

•••
people had no problem accepting various ccTLDs used as gTLD such as no_url_shorteners, all the various .io, etc.

They will adapt. It would be nice to have the .com but when domainers want more for them than I am willing to pay, getting the new gTLDs now means I have them when people are more comfortable.

Waiting means that when people are more comfortable, other webmasters (or domainers) will have them.

There's no technical advantage of .com over any other TLD. All it has is momentum. America Online and Alta Vista use to have all the momentum. They don't now, because the Internet is still young and momentum changes.

•••
I totally agree regarding many "premiums". The ridiculous renewal fees for far too many names are just making people, including businesses, staying away from new extensions..

Meanwhile, the 3-4-letters new gTLDs with (mostly) $8-15 renewal fees are doing rather well...

.XYZ - 2,775,363 regs
.TOP - 2,123,549 regs
.WANG - 1,071,477 regs
.CLUB - 766,097 regs

IF I was the owner of .WEB, I would only charge about 7 dollars a name (as a wholesale price) and then auction out the 10,000 best names (still with standard renewals). All names should have standard prices, except this auction, and all names should have standard renewals. I think that would have been a road to success!

•••
I have never visited a .io website
Like my landlord said the other day " you can always lead a .horse to water, but sometimes you have to shoot it"
The technological advantage is that .com is on my phone
.com is a word that everyone knows
so you picked a few extensions that go with tease, there is only about 15 taken outside of the chosen ones,
tease.me is the only one of value

•••

Brad

Claim: The nGTLDs were introduced because all good names were taken by squatters.

Fact: Most good nGTLDs are now "squatted" by a few selected companies.

•••
I totally agree regarding many "premiums". The ridiculous renewal fees for far too many names are just making people, including businesses, staying away from new extensions..

Meanwhile, the 3-4-letters new gTLDs with (mostly) $8-15 renewal fees are doing rather well...

.XYZ - 2,775,363 regs
.TOP - 2,123,549 regs
.WANG - 1,071,477 regs
.CLUB - 766,097 regs

IF I was the owner of .WEB, I would only charge about 7 dollars a name (as a wholesale price) and then auction out the 10,000 best names (still with standard renewals). All names should have standard prices, except this auction, and all names should have standard renewals. I think that would have been a road to success!
Yes Yes Yes. That's exactly what they should do, which I have advocated from the start.
Will dot web have the foresight to do it and play for the long game, getting the extension publicly accepted rather than throttling the life out of it at birth by dripping out the premiums with stupid renewal fees.
Auction the lot and get an aftermarket going.
Oh I forgot that then includes domainers in the Eco system who may profit from it and in turn market the names to potential end users making every stakeholder a winner. No too simple too bloody obvious, instead let's stick to the business model that's failing so many of these strings from getting public breakout awareness.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back