IT.COM

Is this not just blatant scamming

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all

Have just been looking around ebay for a high definition tv when I came across these 2 sellers:-

vgl8aucvn
usqi70re7

Firstly look at the sort of items they are selling (only high definition tv's) then look at when they both registered (both on the same day 21st dec 2005), now look at what they have supposedly sold in the past (very small value items). Lastly look at their feedback page.

They both have 10 piositive feedbacks from very random looking usernames (if you signed up to ebay would you choose such a username?) Also look at when those feedbacks were left. All 20 feedbacks were left in a 2 hour slot (each accounts feedback made within minutes of each other, did he ask his buyers to coordinate or something?)

The worrying thing is there has been a total of 6 bidders on these items (not the ones still showing, they have either finished or ebay has taken them down not sure).

This of course seems like the same person and I bet all the users who left feedback are also him.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what worries me more then scammers on ebay is that you or someone else can find this out no problem yet ebay cannot.

•••
I found it by looking for the product they were selling. To be fair I would not have found that otherwise, ebay have millions of auctions up at any 1 time.

Sure they should do more and of course make it much easier to report stuff (sometimes you have to go through hoops) but to check every user and auction would be near impossible.

P.S. where in Scotland do you live?

•••
Look at the similar pattern at all the user ids :)
i got my account susoended for participating in an auction, just need to fax my id and since over a month i forget to do do... :)

•••
I dont even consider buying from someone on ebay unless they have well over 100+ feedbacks.

•••
Regarding my earlier message about having tio run through hoops to report stuff with them. Just received a response from an email I sent them regarding these scammers:-

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay. I am happy to assist you further with
your concerns regarding the provided members, however I am unable with
the provided information.

We are concerned about violations on our site and strive to thoroughly
investigate each report we receive. Unfortunately, we are only able to
accept reports of this nature through our Rules and Safety Web Form

This form will help us classify and investigate the matter in a timelier
fashion. Please be aware that in order to use this form, you must have
the specific item number of a questionable listing. We cannot accept
reports of eBay User ID's, search results, or URLs

To resubmit your report, please choose the appropriate policy from the
following Listing Policies page:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-ov.html

For information on infringing or illegal items or for information on
other eBay listing guidelines, please view the following URL:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/item_allowed.html

These policies are reviewed and updated from time to time, so please be
sure to double check on terms or policies that you may not be familiar
with.

We appreciate your continued help in keeping eBay a safe and fair place
to trade. Thank you for being part of the eBay community!

Again, thank you for your email and please don't hesitate to let us know
if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Barry McKarter
eBay Community Watch Team

Any organisation that was worried about scammers and had any resolve to combat it would not care where the reports would come from.

In the time it took him to reply to my message he could have looked into those usernames and quite easily have seen they were scammers. What makes it worse they do not even have a section for this type of thing in the address he sent.

•••
I'd say that comparatively, Ebay are pretty good about banning scammers.

In China there are 2 major auction sites:

taobao.com
ebay.com

There are far more fraudulant or illegal auctions on Taobao than ebay.

I suggest you resubmit the information you sent in the right way.

I guess Ebay's budget for responding to customer queries is limited.

•••
filth@flexiwebhost

The reply you got from them is proberbly a standard reply
they proberbly do not even take the time to type out the reply's
and we as Joe Public see the scams ( well some of us )
ebay sometimes i think are blind to it :(

•••
mkellerman said:
I suggest you resubmit the information you sent in the right way.

That would be difficult, the time it took them to respond the auctions have finished. And to submit using the correct form you need the item numbers otherwise it will not submit.

•••
"No longer registered with eBay"

Did the items sell or not in the end?
Or were they pulled?

•••
The two accounts (together with a dozen more similar ones appearing in their feedback) are all NARUed . It must be a fraud since they were all registered in China on the same date . They were probably planning to use those accounts to either shillbid or just to send good feedback to one another . It appears that eBay (possibly due to your reporting) looked into it and nailed them (they seem to have missed diiwvuh , ozm1n3tl , gylbn9d , which also appear on an account's feedback) . Congrats for possibly nipping a big-fraud-to-be right in the bud .

In general , if you want to find a past listing do the following ...

While logged in (either on eBay.com or eBay.co.uk) click on "Advanced Search" on the top right corner .

While there , type a search term , choose the category and check the box "completed listings only" .

If an item ended (with or without a sale) and was not removed by eBay , it will be there .

To report any problems on eBay in general , click on "Help" on the top and then "Contact us" on the left . Then by choosing the correct categories send a message explaining the situation .

eBay is very vigilant regarding fraud and other problems on their site . Unfortunately , their reaction is a bit slow , but , if they have the necessary info on their hands (eg. itemID) , they will act on a problem or a scammer even if a listing has ended (they can retrieve a listing if needed) .

•••
Sabre said:
"No longer registered with eBay"

Did the items sell or not in the end?
Or were they pulled?

Some were definately sold

•••
Iam sure Ebays vero team are aware of these people...Alot of the time the problem is...They have to comit a crime before Ebay does anything....This proly for legal reasons and such imo.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back