Dynadot

Dreamweaver or Front Page?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have recently setup a website but updating it I usualy use Dreamweaver MX but iv heared that Microsoft Front Page is better? can you give me advice please. Thanks in advanced:cy:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Originally posted by hilljd00
ok dokie... dont want to start a mass arguement or anything

True, we wouldn't want to do that :)

But,
Did I mention FrontPage Sucks?
:notme:

•••
nope :p Its ok for beginiers, like it was designied for.

•••
I dislike both, but if I had to chose, dreamweaver

•••
woow, thanks for the many replys. I think you's have all defo helped me to make my mind up on which to use which is Front Page... Ha jokin its defo Dreamweaver :)

•••
DW ownz.... if you know how to use it :)

•••
•••
NOTEPAD BABY!

I once moved to TextPad, but soon went back to NotePad. Been using it for 8 yrs now hard coding. And before you all say "bahhh, for large sites, DW or FP..."...well, I use PHP file includes, so to change the menu, I change one text file. To change set content, 1 text file.

Easy peasy :)

If I HAD to choose....I would stop coding ! :)

•••
Using most notepad and frontpage..
So i prefar Frontpage :)

•••
FrontPage - D-: :zzz:

DreamWeaver - :)

GoLive - :xf.love:

I have and have used all three. FrontPage is too dependent on the "stuff" that must be built into your server. Seldom does one see a 'serious' site based on FrontPage.

I use GoLive instead of DreamWeaver only because I "grew up" on Adobe products, and for some reason find GoLive a little more "comfortable."

•••
Originally posted by SirSpider
FrontPage - D-: :zzz:

DreamWeaver - :)

GoLive - :xf.love:

I have and have used all three. FrontPage is too dependent on the "stuff" that must be built into your server. Seldom does one see a 'serious' site based on FrontPage.

I use GoLive instead of DreamWeaver only because I "grew up" on Adobe products, and for some reason find GoLive a little more "comfortable."

I'm a fan of Adobe products too. Mainly PS.
I used PageMill a few years ago and it was very easy to use.

In a production environment I always used HomeSite until DreamWeaver UltraDev/MX came along.
A lot of shops use it as a standard tool now. Especially since Macromedia bought addaire and now packages HomeSite with DW.
Cheers!

•••
Originally posted by NameCaster

In a production environment I always used HomeSite until DreamWeaver UltraDev/MX came along.
A lot of shops use it as a standard tool now. Especially since Macromedia bought addaire and now packages HomeSite with DW.
Cheers!

Gotta agree with Namecaster on this.

Homesite and DWMX are the way to go for anyone who is serious about development.

We use DWMX in conjunction with Contribute for my clients. so they can update minor things without screwing up the code on some of the more complex dynamic sites.

I also love the way MM has integrated All its MX product line.
between DWMX, Fireworks, Flash, Freehand and Director

Can;t really speak on Pagemill as the only Adobe products we use are Photoshop, Acrobat and Illustrator.

I don't think we have allowed FP on our network since 98, about the same time we ditched Hotdog :lol:

•••
dreamweaver

so i guess dreamweaver winsB-) Go Dreamweaver Fans:D

•••
Shame I forgot to mention HotMetalPro
That puppy was powerful for its day.
Funny thing is that occasionally bundled with MM packages.
I don't think its supported anymore but the core HMP code seems to be part of the HMX.

Another honorable mention IMO would be Arachnophilia
http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia
Its been one of the most popular HTML editor downloads on tucows.com for years.

I would encourage any hack to have it in the tool bag.
It was one of the first editors I used as a webmaster to do global search and replace. Even "Visual Studio" didn't offer that feature at the time.

Paul Lutus, the author/programmer is a very interesting person to say the least. Very impressive background with Apple™ and microsoft™
Old school hack fullfilling his dreams one day at a time.
If you dig deep enough on his site you'll see that even computer geeks can lead very interesting and rewarding lives.
He has more good karma/postive energy than most of the wealthy have money :p

http://vps.arachnoid.com/index.html

Cheers!

•••
Originally posted by NameCaster
Shame I forgot to mention HotMetalPro
That puppy was powerful for its day.
Funny thing is that occasionally bundled with MM packages.
I don't think its supported anymore but the core HMP code seems to be part of the HMX.

I agree a very powerful program for its day. I liked the fact it was originally developed here in Toronto.

If I remember correctly Corel bought them out a few years ago and ceased development, primarily due to MM's marketshare

•••
As i said before. I use notepad to hard code. Thats about it. best thing with PHP is. If you want to edit the navigation. You edit one! file. And it changed on everypage. Unless you messed up big time, lol

•••
O.K., I must chime in . . .

I can tell a Front Page made site from byte-years™ away.

Someone mentioned that FP is good for beginners to learn with. I disagree. What is so hard about learning HTML with a simple text editor? If you can spend time on learning some convoluted WYSIWYG program then you certainly should have no problems learning HTML in the 'raw'.

Dreamweaver is used by an overwhelming amount of designers, especially those coming from a graphics design background. Still, I can't understand what this mainly WYSIWYG editor does that can't be done with a plain text editor. I've tried DW about 3 different times and each time I had to go to the code window to correct a couple of things here and there.

I guess if I were forced to choose between the two I would go with DW because it is as close to error free coding as possible with a WYSIWYG editor.

Lastly, my choice for and reccomendation of an almost perfect coding editor is HTML-Kit

•••
hmmm... ok :) thanks for your input

I think notepad is good as well. But when I was a begginier FP helped me a lot along the way :)

•••
I like dreamweaver it's awesome!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back