IT.COM

Dreamweaver or Front Page?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have recently setup a website but updating it I usualy use Dreamweaver MX but iv heared that Microsoft Front Page is better? can you give me advice please. Thanks in advanced:cy:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well.... I think Microsoft Front Page is good. For beggingers and advanced. At the moment I use Frontpage to do my layouts. Because for 2 yrs I started using front page and i forgot how to use dreamweaver :(

•••
Dreamweaver.

If you are looking to build professional websites and have a lot more control over it, I would recommend Dreamweaver hands down. Frontpage is mostly a beginner one while dreamweaver can be used as an advaced one and is also a lot more better. I have used frontpage, golive and dreamweaver and i believe dreamweave will you give you your money's worth.

Also for uploading files don't use dreamweave, or frontpage. Always use an ftp program like cute ftp or wsftp. There are also many free ones out there. Just To Let You Know.

•••
Thanks for your opions, I am using Dreamweaver now and a FTP programe - Smart FTP. Just I had doubts with so many people saying to me that I should use Front Page, But i think ill stick with Dreamweaver MX after your positave post about the software. Thanks

•••
Yeah, have to agree with the others. Frontpage is more for the beginning-designer and Dreamweaver for the advanced designer. Although I just use EditPlus (2) and hand-code my web site.

Frontpage is actually also meant for beginners. It looks very similiar to Microsoft Word, and (most) people know how to use that, so they also know how to use Frontpage.

•••
Yes.... do NOT! upload with frontpage/dreamweaver only use a ftp prog e.g. FlashFXP because it can be used to exploit your host, and thats how hackers deface website........

•••
Definatly Dreamweaver MX Bulldog :)

•••
Originally posted by hilljd00
Yes.... do NOT! upload with frontpage/dreamweaver only use a ftp prog e.g. FlashFXP because it can be used to exploit your host, and thats how hackers deface website........
Are you sure about that? I've heard about Frontpage exploits, so it might be true for Frontpage, but for Dreamweaver? Doesn't that just use standard FTP functions?

•••
I didnt even know i could upload via dreamweaver? iI thought only Front Page could do that, and even then you needed front page enabled on your webhost?

•••
Well.... I am not 100% sure about dreamweaver, but I have read it is possible, I will go read some more, and let you know :)

•••
Originally posted by BuLLDoG
I didnt even know i could upload via dreamweaver? iI thought only Front Page could do that, and even then you needed front page enabled on your webhost?
You're right about that. You need Frontpage Extensions installed on the webserver you're uploading too (IIRC).

I'll check if Dreamweaver has FTP functions.

edit: Dreamweaver does have FTP functions; http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/dw_ftp.htm.

•••
FrontPage SUCKS!
If I had a choice between FrontPage and Notepad I would choose NotePad.

DreamWeaver and HomeSite are what most of the pros use.
The built in FTP functions for both of these work fine for me.

Did I mention that FrontPage SUCKS? :p
Cheers!

•••
Originally posted by NameCaster
DreamWeaver and HomeSite are what most of the pros use.
Well, I doubt that. I rather think most pros use a simple text editor (e.g Notepad or EditPlus for more features) and handcode their HTML. I do know that you can also do this in Dreamweaver, but it's still a WYSIWYG-editor.

Dreamweaver doesn't produce standards-compliant code either, last time I used it. I never use WYSIWYG-editors just because of that, mainly. And, of course, they're not as powerful as hand-coding it yourself.

(Oh, and I agree with you, Frontpage sucks :p)

•••
I found out dreamweaver is better than notepad and you can hand code in dreamweaver, but i dont know if its better than the ones you have listed.

•••
I wouldn't be quite so hard on FrontPage... it has a lot of things going for it. I would agree that if you are thinking long term, you are better off with Dreamweaver, but you can still do a very good job with Front Page. Just stay away from those awful templates and learn some coding on your own too.

The big advantage of FP is that it is very easy to learn and use, and it still has a lot of functionality. I suspect that is also what a lot of people don't like about it (the snob factor)

I personally would never have had the confidence to get into web design as a business (years ago) if I did not have some of the FP extensions to fall back on. It really helped pave the way for me to make the leap into this biz.

•••
Originally posted by FrontRow
I wouldn't be quite so hard on FrontPage... it has a lot of things going for it. I would agree that if you are thinking long term, you are better off with Dreamweaver, but you can still do a very good job with Front Page. Just stay away from those awful templates and learn some coding on your own too.

The big advantage of FP is that it is very easy to learn and use, and it still has a lot of functionality. I suspect that is also what a lot of people don't like about it (the snob factor)

I totally agree with that. FP is still quite good. A lot of people use it. But its best to start to learn html and make layouts with FP then move on :)

•••
dreamweaver

Originally posted by BuLLDoG

Yes you can upload with Dreamweaver. At first i used it, but then found ftp programs more flexible and useful too.

•••
Originally posted by FrontRow
I personally would never have had the confidence to get into web design as a business (years ago) if I did not have some of the FP extensions to fall back on.
Well, I must admit, I did start with Frontpage (98), and it has helped plenty of times. It doesn't truly suck. When I mastered HTML I've switched though. I just don't need it anymore, really.

I do tend to use it now and then, especially to check a color (e.g what's the value of red #something). I've also got Frontpage XP (2002, 2000, whatever).

•••
yeah! I also started with frontpage, to learn about layouts and coding. I moved onto dreamweaver 4 (i think) then i reformatted and lost my cd :( so went back to frontpage to make layouts, I do coding and filtering in notepad :)

•••
I would always recommend Dreamweaver over MS Front Page!

•••
okie dokies :) May i ask why? I know its better, I just want to know your view.

•••
Originally posted by hilljd00
okie dokies :) May i ask why? I know its better, I just want to know your view.

For starters DW isn't a microsoft product. :p

FP may work ok for designers but its not what serious developers use. Nobody likes an editor that rips out perfectly legit code or tags and replaces them with nothing or vermeer jibberish.

DreamWeaver is also very extensive and flexible. Its plug-in/modular design makes it great for integrating your own script into its behavior/function library.

It also handles ASP, PHP, CFM and several other server models.
Try and do that with FP :p

If your needs are to simply build a static website then FP may be the right tool for you.

Conclusion:
FP is for the hobbiest and Johnny the next store neighbor creating his first masterpiece.
DW and HomeSite are tools of the proffesionals.

Did I mention FrontPage Sucks?
:notme:

•••
ok dokie... dont want to start a mass arguement or anything

•••
dream

soon this topic is going to become dreamweaver fans vs frontpage fans.:hehe:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back