IT.COM

Google-transferred domains to Squarespace cannot be renewed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

789.xyz

Established Member
Impact
Recently, many people have received emails notifying them that their Google domain has been transferred to Squarespace. However, they've discovered that they can't renew their domains on Squarespace. While the price is displayed as the same as it was with Google, they're unsure whether they can renew at the original price.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So they actually can renew, but are unsure about the price? What's the price of a successful renewal, has noone tried this?

Last edited:
•••
So they actually can renew, but are unsure about the price? What's the price of a successful renewal, has noone tried this?
The price displayed is the original price, but there is no "Renew" button.

•••
Imagine buying a registrar with 10M domains and forgetting to put a renew button for them.
Is there a transfer out button at least?

•••
Last edited:
•••
This is from their website, does that solve your issue?

"By default, all Squarespace domains are set to renew automatically each year. If your domain has auto-renew turned on and we successfully collect your renewal payment, your domain will renew."

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/...18-Squarespace-domain-renewals-and-expiration
Yes, it's only automatic renewal. However, the issue is that regardless of automatic renewal, there should be a manual renewal button. But I can't find it now.

•••
Yes, it's only automatic renewal. However, the issue is that regardless of automatic renewal, there should be a manual renewal button. But I can't find it now.
I don't think that's an obligation, as frustrating as that can be. I know of other registrars who do it this way.

•••
I don't think that's an obligation, as frustrating as that can be. I know of other registrars who do it this way.
I've never seen a registrar only have an option for auto-renewal. What if I want to renew in advance?

•••
I've never seen a registrar only have an option for auto-renewal. What if I want to renew in advance?
You see this more often when it is a company that primarily focuses on website building and hosting services.

With Squarespace, the only option seems to be an automatic +1-year renewal every time, without the option to extend for more years yourself. However, this is not unique, and can also be seen at some other hosters.

Last edited:
•••
I once left such a hoster because this exact point irritated me as well. I was unable to renew a .com myself in advance, but was dependent on the automatic annual renewal, the date of which was completely out of sync with the expiration date of the .com domain.

Last edited:
•••
However, the issue is that regardless of automatic renewal, there should be a manual renewal button. But I can't find it now.
Do you see anything that says "reactivate"? Per:

To renew an expired domain, ensure that your site has a valid credit card linked, then reactivate your domain in your domains dashboard. If your domain can’t be renewed, contact us and we'll help you reactivate the domain.

1715887014306.png

It seems that there's two different renewal options depending if your domain is registered at Tucows or Squarespace Domains LLC.

Last edited:
•••
\
This is from their website, does that solve your issue?

"By default, all Squarespace domains are set to renew automatically each year. If your domain has auto-renew turned on and we successfully collect your renewal payment, your domain will renew."

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/...18-Squarespace-domain-renewals-and-expiration
So hopefully they will add some way that also allows for manual renewal as well, if the customer wants that.

if they don't don't do that, perhaps it would be reassuring if they allowed a backup payment method, such as a second credit card?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Do you see anything that says "reactivate"? Per:

To renew an expired domain, ensure that your site has a valid credit card linked, then reactivate your domain in your domains dashboard. If your domain can’t be renewed, contact us and we'll help you reactivate the domain.
Thank you. That's not what I meant. The domain hasn't expired. What I meant is that the domain transferred from Google only has the option for automatic renewal, but there is no manual renewal button.

•••
What I meant is that the domain transferred from Google only has the option for automatic renewal, but there is no manual renewal button.

Great observation!

... Not sure if we have one yet, but maybe somebody should start an unOfficial Squarespace Domains Discussion thread, where we can discuss and aggregate Squarespace Domain discussion.

I assume given all the newly on boarded Google customers there's going to be others with questions. Perhaps it may even help nP in search engines and deliver new members to joining...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back