Dynadot

question Domain Protection, yes or no?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ashash

Established Member
Impact
So I have been having a bit of fun and registering a couple of domains as a newbie.

Looking forward, it would become extremely expensive for renewals if I did grow to any sizeable portfolio, particularly when the cost of domain protection is added in, which makes renewal double the cost, thereabouts.

How common is it for domains to be hacked/stolen? I guess the question is, how important is it to pay for the domain protection on top of the renewal fee?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, don't purchase it. Registrar lock is what all you need to protect your domain. On top of that, make sure that nobody have an access to your account and email.

•••
I'm pretty sure hackers won't target your newly registered domains, but regardless of that, the measures you take to protect your account, such as password hygiene, should be enough in 99.9% cases. Registrar-side protections services are more useful for established websites, to prevent domain theft or dns hijacking. Then it's worth paying $10-20 extra for peace of mind.

•••
•••
Also, the registrar (GD) you're currently using, is extremely expensive. Try Porkbun.
Yes, that was going to be my next question! Thank you, I am going to look at transferring my domains over.

•••
I'm pretty sure hackers won't target your newly registered domains, but regardless of that, the measures you take to protect your account, such as password hygiene, should be enough in 99.9% cases. Registrar-side protections services are more useful for established websites, to prevent domain theft or dns hijacking. Then it's worth paying $10-20 extra for peace of mind.
Great, thank you. A couple of my domains will end up having websites eventually, so I will protect them and not worry too much about the standalone domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back