Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sedo

Top Member
Impact
Hi All! :hi:

By request, we've decided to start a thread dedicated to Sedo. We're looking for invaluable insight into what domainers want and need out of our parking program (and marketplace, of course).

Questions, comments, suggestions, tips are welcome! We're hoping this will be a great discussion about what works at Sedo and what might not (please be constructive and respectful to others in your feedback) so that everyone involved can benefit and learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas! Happy Holidays!

Always,
Keith
(on behalf of Sedo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @Sedo Chris,

There’s a small issue while editing prices in the dashboard, specifically in the “Price” column, and not the “Min. Offer” column.

When editing a price in the “Price” column, it can only be confirmed with the “OK” button, not with the Enter key.

However, editing a price in the “Min. Offer” column can be confirmed with both the “OK” button and the Enter key.

Could you please investigate why the Enter key isn’t working for confirming the newly set price in the “Price” column?

Thanks a lot.

sedoprice.png

•••
Hi @Sedo Chris,

There’s a small issue while editing prices in the dashboard, specifically in the “Price” column, and not the “Min. Offer” column.

When editing a price in the “Price” column, it can only be confirmed with the “OK” button, not with the Enter key.

However, editing a price in the “Min. Offer” column can be confirmed with both the “OK” button and the Enter key.

Could you please investigate why the Enter key isn’t working for confirming the newly set price in the “Price” column?

Thanks a lot.

Show attachment 262493

Yup I’ve got the same issue. Pretty sure it only started in the last few weeks.

•••
Hi @Sedo
It would be great if you added a "Request price" page. Like in Dan.com. The buyers ask for a price and then everything looks the same as if they had made an offer. And I also wanted to ask about CamelCase. Is this in your plans for the future?
Thanks in advance
Hi Timkh,

Thank you for your suggestions I will forward them on to the relevant department so that they can be considered when future updates are made.

All the best
Chris

•••
Hi @Sedo Chris,

Thanks a lot.

Show attachment 262493
Hi Future Sensors,

Thanks for the feedback, I have asked our Tech Team to investigate and repair this issue as even though I cant replicate the issue I have seen a few issues complaining about this. Hopefully it will be resolved asap. We apologies for the inconvenience.

All the best
Chris

•••
Since I joined Sedo in 2007, I have always verified my domains using Screenshots from my Registrar Dashboard. Suddenly, Sedo, instead of seizing the opportunity of Afternic Boost for their own good, decided to join the party of milking domain investors for their own.

They removed the option to verify using screenshots and now require one of the following: DNS, TXT Record, and Whois Privacy Off.

DNS: I have to use their ns1.sedoparking.com.
TXT Record: I have to use my registrar's DNS, so I'll not be using any marketplace NS (ns1.afternic.com, ns1.atom.com, etc.).
Whois Privacy Off: I have to risk my Whois email being listed in spam lists.

Why is Screenshot Verification suddenly not an option anymore? It worked for years, right?

Last edited:
•••
Why is Screenshot Verification suddenly not an option anymore? It worked for years, right?
My best guess is that a screenshot can easily be faked, while it's more difficult to tamper with TXT verification.

•••
My best guess is that a screenshot can easily be faked, while it's more difficult to tamper with TXT verification.
True but it has been working for more than 17 years now. I just think it's a weird timing.

•••
I find that if I set txt and nameservers first, then list domain, it goes through without a hitch. when I list first, then set, there is a delay.

•••
Since I joined Sedo in 2007, I have always verified my domains using Screenshots from my Registrar Dashboard. Suddenly, Sedo, instead of seizing the opportunity of Afternic Boost for their own good, decided to join the party of abusing, milking, and blackmailing domain investors for their own.

They removed the option to verify using screenshots and now require one of the following: DNS, TXT Record, and Whois Privacy Off.

TXT Record: I have to use my registrar's DNS, so I'll not be using any marketplace NS (ns1.afternic.com, ns1.atom.com, etc.).

It is the only industry where almost every company works against their customer base.

Screenshots can be faked by bad actors looking to list and steal assets they don’t own. And with the plethora of editing and AI tools that are now available to all, the possibility of this happening is higher than ever.

If they're refusing to verify listings via screenshots, it’s for our protection and we should support the policy.

@Sedo -- To make it easier to verify listings and automatically move old listings from previous owners’ accounts, can you guys please add unique ownership IDs that can be added as the 3rd NS?

•••
Since I joined Sedo in 2007, I have always verified my domains using Screenshots from my Registrar Dashboard. Suddenly, Sedo, instead of seizing the opportunity of Afternic Boost for their own good, decided to join the party of abusing, milking, and blackmailing domain investors for their own.

It is the only industry where almost every company works against their customer base.
Hi Sameh,

Thank you for your comment.

Just to be clear, you can still verify your domains with a screenshot if you have less than 20 domains to verify. I can not see your account so I don’t know how many domains you have, however if you are trying to add 20 at a time and verify them with screenshots this is not allowed. Sedos verification team does not have the manpower to manual check and verify each domain in cases like this as its too time consuming, this is why we limit it to 20 domains. The automated verification methods will need to be utilised if you are adding large amounts if domains.

You suggest that Sedo has abused and blackmailed you. Can you please elaborate more on where a member of Sedo has abused or blackmailed you? I would like to investigate this for you further but I will need full information on who you were dealing with. Please provide me with the reference number to any emails you have been using to correspond with us.

All the best

Chris

•••
I find that if I set txt and nameservers first, then list domain, it goes through without a hitch. when I list first, then set, there is a delay.
This aspect of TXT verification could certainly be improved on Sedo's side.

It could be done by clearing their DNS cache, and checking the TXT RR in DNS way more often. There are other methods, as well.

It will immediately add to a better user experience for those Sellers that first add their domains to Sedo, and then change TXT records (while they would have been better off doing this the other way around).

@Sedo Please submit this suggested improvement to development.

Last edited:
•••
Hi Sameh,

Thank you for your comment.

Just to be clear, you can still verify your domains with a screenshot if you have less than 20 domains to verify. I can not see your account so I don’t know how many domains you have, however if you are trying to add 20 at a time and verify them with screenshots this is not allowed. Sedos verification team does not have the manpower to manual check and verify each domain in cases like this as its too time consuming, this is why we limit it to 20 domains. The automated verification methods will need to be utilised if you are adding large amounts if domains.

You suggest that Sedo has abused and blackmailed you. Can you please elaborate more on where a member of Sedo has abused or blackmailed you? I would like to investigate this for you further but I will need full information on who you were dealing with. Please provide me with the reference number to any emails you have been using to correspond with us.

All the best

Chris
Thank you for the clarification. However, the customer care representative did not explain the 20-domain limit to me. I was attempting to verify 37 domains.

No one has abused or blackmailed me. I used that phrase metaphorically. I removed that part from my post to prevent any misunderstanding. I apologize for any confusion.

Following @Vivere's suggestion, could you add a special NS to verify domains? It would be more convenient and practical.

•••
When a domain sells through @Sedo, how long does domain transfer typically take, please?

•••
Anyone have the best / quickest way to list about 1,500 domain names at SEDO?

It seems their automated process will involve TXT or CNAME changes -- both of which are tricky at GoDaddy as I first have to change to use the GD NameServers, then I can apply the TXT Records. I don't really want to change the Nameservers just so I can update the TXT records, and then later change the Nameservers back to what they were (I use several NameServers - example Efty, Afternic, Namepros).

Any guidance is appreciated...

Thanks,
DN

•••
Anyone have the best / quickest way to list about 1,500 domain names at SEDO?

It seems their automated process will involve TXT or CNAME changes -- both of which are tricky at GoDaddy as I first have to change to use the GD NameServers, then I can apply the TXT Records. I don't really want to change the Nameservers just so I can update the TXT records, and then later change the Nameservers back to what they were (I use several NameServers - example Efty, Afternic, Namepros).

Any guidance is appreciated...

Thanks,
DN
I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you can mail them to Sedo Support via CSV. Are there already any other unique TXT records or verification name servers from another marketplace present, so that Sedo can quickly see that all these domains belong to the same owner? Something like that would be my approach.

Last edited:
•••
Hi all

For the last few responses about the third name server. I have forwarded your recommendations on.

Thanks Chris

•••
When a domain sells through @Sedo, how long does domain transfer typically take, please?
Hi Vivere,

Thanks for your post.

Typically the transfer takes between 3 and 7 business days, if you need a more accurate time frame for your transfer, just reach out to the transfer agent in the Transfer Centre tool within your Sedo account and they will give you a better idea of how long it will take based on your transfer.

All the best
Chris

•••
I've seen push transfers to Sedo's holding account accepted at Porkbun even the same day, even on Saturday. Payment to me followed on Monday.

Last edited:
•••
Hi Vivere,

Thanks for your post.

Typically the transfer takes between 3 and 7 business days, if you need a more accurate time frame for your transfer, just reach out to the transfer agent in the Transfer Centre tool within your Sedo account and they will give you a better idea of how long it will take based on your transfer.

All the best
Chris

Thanks for your response.

I sold a domain via Sedo. It is/was a small sale (approx. $1.8k), but I was excited because it was my first Sedo sale, etc.

Over a week later now, Sedo hasn’t been able to complete the domain transfer let alone proceed to payment. Sedo support has said the buying registrar is having difficulty restarting* the transfer, they’ve said they’ve prompted the registrar a few times, and they’ve also said they can’t verify what the issue is.

In short, it looks like the sale has been bungled and will be cancelled. And my excitement has given way to disappointment and more.

* restarting the transfer --- I mistakenly rejected the first (auto) transfer-out of the domain from my registrar’s end, but I provided the Sedo team with the auth code immediately after.

•••
I've seen push transfers to Sedo's holding account accepted at Porkbun even the same day, even on Saturday. Payment to me followed on Monday.

Wish my experience was this smooth. Lol. @Sedo

•••
Wish my experience was this smooth. Lol. @Sedo
From your description I gather that the automatic systems are now a bit confused by the initial rejection. This makes it a somewhat less common case. Nevertheless, it is fair to assume that Sedo should then work with the registrar to get this back on track. Sedo should continue to work on this with priority, and not cancel the sale.

•••
From your description I gather that the automatic systems are now a bit confused by the initial rejection. This makes it a somewhat less common case. Nevertheless, it is fair to assume that Sedo should then work with the registrar to get this back on track. Sedo should continue to work on this with priority, and not cancel the sale.

Yeah, the MLS automatic transfer failed because of the initial rejection. But I shared the auth code with them immediately after, so they could initiate a manual transfer with it. And I'm not sure why this part has been difficult. AFAIK, the buying registrar isn't experiencing general issues with transfers.

I'll use Afternic as an example here: Sometimes, their buggy Fast Transfer system fails and interrupts the automatic transfer of sold domains. When that happens, one simply sends them the auth code, and they initiate a manual domain transfer with it. I've done so more than once, and it didn't take this long to sort out.

What am I missing here?

cc: @Sedo

•••
Yeah, the MLS automatic transfer failed because of the initial rejection. But I shared the auth code with them immediately after, so they could initiate a manual transfer with it. And I'm not sure why this part has been difficult. AFAIK, the buying registrar isn't experiencing general issues with transfers.

I'll use Afternic as an example here: Sometimes, their buggy Fast Transfer system fails and interrupts the automatic transfer of sold domains. When that happens, one simply sends them the auth code, and they initiate a manual domain transfer with it. I've done so more than once, and it didn't take this long to sort out.

What am I missing here?

cc: @Sedo

Is it possible that a new auth code is needed after the initial rejection? I'm not sure but I suspect that the first one might be toast.

•••
Is it possible that a new auth code is needed after the initial rejection? I'm not sure but I suspect that the first one might be toast.

I generated the auth code after the rejection. They haven't indicated that there's a problem with it, but you could be right.

After I shared the auth code with them and prompted for a response, Sedo sent me the following the next day:

"...We have informed the buying registrar/MLS Partner yesterday to restart the transfer and received an Auto Response in regards to a ticket that has been opened on their end.
As soon the buying registrar has worked on the ticket and restarted the transfer, they will inform us so we can let you know"

Followed up the next day and received this:

"... We have reminded the buying registrar today to restart the transfer asap.

Sent a reminder the day after. Received the following 2 days later:

"... We have been informed by the buying registrar that they have forwarded the ticket to the correct contact person. We have asked them to restart the transfer as soon as possible.

Some more back and forth... At some point, I asked why a manual transfer wasn't being pursued. They said this:

"... We've already asked them to start the transfer manually, and sent them the auth-code separately to do so. We're afraid at the moment we can't verify what the issue is, and we hope to hear back from them today.

Followed up today, and they said this:

"... We reminded the buying registrar again to start the transfer with the provided code until Friday, 4pm at the latest and to let us know when this has been done.
In case the transfer is not in pending transfer status /we receive not a response that the transfer has been started until Friday, 4pm, we will let you know and ask you then to lock the domain for transfer out at your registrar so the transfer can be cancelled.

I'm confused. Why does a ticket have to be sent to some contact person at the buying registrar? Shouldn't the marketplace (Sedo) take charge of the domain, i.e. transfer it to its own account at the receiving registrar with the auth code the seller provides, then push the domain to the buyer/the registrar's account? This opening a ticket at the buying registrar --> having it forwarded to the "correct contact person" (whatever this means) --> waiting for a response --> reminding the registrar flow seems inefficient and strange.

Is this flow normal or is my understanding of how transfers (should) work at Sedo wrong?

•••
I generated the auth code after the rejection. They haven't indicated that there's a problem with it, but you could be right.

After I shared the auth code with them and prompted for a response, Sedo sent me the following the next day:

"...We have informed the buying registrar/MLS Partner yesterday to restart the transfer and received an Auto Response in regards to a ticket that has been opened on their end.
As soon the buying registrar has worked on the ticket and restarted the transfer, they will inform us so we can let you know"

Followed up the next day and received this:

"... We have reminded the buying registrar today to restart the transfer asap.

Sent a reminder the day after. Received the following 2 days later:

"... We have been informed by the buying registrar that they have forwarded the ticket to the correct contact person. We have asked them to restart the transfer as soon as possible.

Some more back and forth... At some point, I asked why a manual transfer wasn't being pursued. They said this:

"... We've already asked them to start the transfer manually, and sent them the auth-code separately to do so. We're afraid at the moment we can't verify what the issue is, and we hope to hear back from them today.

Followed up today, and they said this:

"... We reminded the buying registrar again to start the transfer with the provided code until Friday, 4pm at the latest and to let us know when this has been done.
In case the transfer is not in pending transfer status /we receive not a response that the transfer has been started until Friday, 4pm, we will let you know and ask you then to lock the domain for transfer out at your registrar so the transfer can be cancelled.

I'm confused. Why does a ticket have to be sent to some contact person at the buying registrar? Shouldn't the marketplace (Sedo) take charge of the domain, i.e. transfer it to its own account at the receiving registrar with the auth code the seller provides, then push the domain to the buyer/the registrar's account? This opening a ticket at the buying registrar --> having it forwarded to the "correct contact person" (whatever this means) --> waiting for a response --> reminding the registrar flow seems inefficient and strange.

Is this flow normal or is my understanding of how transfers (should) work at Sedo wrong?

Wow. I've generally had very good experiences with Sedo's handling of transfers and escrow matters.

I'm best guessing this...

When the automated transfer was rejected, the transaction shifted to manual mode. In manual mode, Sedo sends the buying registrar the auth code. They then need the winning registrar to initiate the transfer on their end. If they were dealing directly with the buyer, that would be sent to the buyer. In either case, the buyer or registrar needs to initiate the transfer so you can approve it.

It sounds like Sedo is following up with the registrar but the registrar is non-responsive thus far. That is disappointing but not shocking. When I have an Afternic transaction that departs from the norm, it can be a long time until I get a response or action.

Good luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back