NameSilo

news Is GoDaddy the Next Google? How a Brewing Antitrust Battle Could Impact GDDY Stock

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Future Sensors

78% of human domainers will be replaced by robotsTop Member
Impact
Is GoDaddy the Next Google? How a Brewing Antitrust Battle Could Impact GDDY Stock

Samuel O'Brient
Fri, Aug 16, 2024

For years, the tech sector has functioned as a de facto Wild West, an economic landscape thriving thanks to a clear lack of regulation. Even as industry leaders such as Mark Zuckerberg have advocated for stricter rules, until recently, few steps were taken to impose further regulatory measures. Last week, a judge handed down a historic ruling against one of Silicon Valley’s most powerful companies. According to a verdict from the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOGL, NASDAQ:GOOG) has violated antitrust laws by abusing its monopoly on internet searching through rival stifling measures.

However, Google isn’t the only big name currently facing antitrust action. Another company is levying a similar case against @GoDaddy (NYSE:GDDY). If it succeeds, GDDY stock could be severely compromised as the alleged monopoly upon which its empire is built collapses.

Read more

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/godaddy-next-google-brewing-antitrust-180000745.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From the article:

"However, some industry experts claim that GoDaddy has a history of using its power to create a costly and complicated user experience that benefits itself at the expense of its customers."

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Let's not forget that Verisign is another Monopolist of COM domain names, it's time for some cleaning.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
I do not see why GoDaddy would be forced to make their system work with some third party application. I don't see how this lawsuit could go anywhere. However, I'll add that, we're getting into a place where making a company that becomes too great is a problem.

Last edited:
•••
I do not see why GoDaddy would be forced to make their system work with some third party application. I don't see how this lawsuit could go anywhere. However, I'll add that, we're getting into a place where making a company that becomes too great is a problem.
GoDaddy created Domain Connect as an open standard published under the MIT license in 2016.

https://www.domainconnect.org/

Last edited:
•••
If Domain Connect is a GoDaddy product then I would think that it's their option to create a software platform to enhance their own services. But I don't see why GoDaddy would be forced to modify their current systems to work with any other third party that decides to attempt to integrate with them. I sure wouldn't want to have to modify my systems to integrate with any third party that wishes to integrate with me. It sort of sounds like forcing the company to offer an API when they shouldn't have to.

•••
If Domain Connect is a GoDaddy product
It's not a GoDaddy product, it's an open standard published under the MIT license. It was designed and is being maintained by a community of developers across multiple companies. The standard was submitted to the IETF as a draft.

https://www.domainconnect.org/

The lawsuit states that, at GoDaddy’s request, Entri began using the Domain Connect protocol for GoDaddy connections beginning in April 2022 and signed an agreement.

You can read more here:

https://domainnamewire.com/2024/07/11/dns-company-files-antitrust-lawsuit-against-godaddy/

Last edited:
•••
It's a very complicated issue, but I would tend to side with GoDaddy, including their current policy where they appear to be now asking companies that use Domain Connect to pay a fee if they want it connected to GoDaddy. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that. Theoretically, Google should be able to implement a charge to use their search engine too. There are other alternatives. Just because something becomes great, doesn't mean it should be provided free. That is my opinion on it.

•••
Thank you for contributing to the discussion.

•••
Thank you for contributing to the discussion.
Interesting the views people take.
I remember reading that article when Andrew published it. It sure sounds to me like Entri would have a very strong argument when it comes to Antitrust. I shall await the outcome of that one with interest.

•••
We are forced to depend on Verisign, they dictate COM prices.
It is almost impossible to not use Google search, because they own the biggest crawl data.
But we can use something else than Godaddy, I was thinking to try Afternic but I m still considering if to try it.
Also because of such companies that eat everything on their way, the internet becomes Dead if not already is dead, I put in this baggage social media, chat applications and AI, but I think this AI will eat everything we know if we don't act now.

•••
We are forced to depend on Verisign, they dictate COM prices.
It is almost impossible to not use Google search, because they own the biggest crawl data.
But we can use something else than Godaddy, I was thinking to try Afternic but I m still considering if to try it.
Also because of such companies that eat everything on their way, the internet becomes Dead if not already is dead, I put in this baggage social media, chat applications and AI, but I think this AI will eat everything we know if we don't act now.
Personally, if I were trying a different registrar I'd be checking out Dynadot or Porkbun. But that's just me...

•••
Is GoDaddy the Next Google? How a Brewing Antitrust Battle Could Impact GDDY Stock

Samuel O'Brient
Fri, Aug 16, 2024

For years, the tech sector has functioned as a de facto Wild West, an economic landscape thriving thanks to a clear lack of regulation. Even as industry leaders such as Mark Zuckerberg have advocated for stricter rules, until recently, few steps were taken to impose further regulatory measures. Last week, a judge handed down a historic ruling against one of Silicon Valley’s most powerful companies. According to a verdict from the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOGL, NASDAQ:GOOG) has violated antitrust laws by abusing its monopoly on internet searching through rival stifling measures.

However, Google isn’t the only big name currently facing antitrust action. Another company is levying a similar case against @GoDaddy (NYSE:GDDY). If it succeeds, GDDY stock could be severely compromised as the alleged monopoly upon which its empire is built collapses.

Read more

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/godaddy-next-google-brewing-antitrust-180000745.html
And GD's legal woes don't stop there...
"GoDaddy sued over expired domain purchase clawback"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back