Dynadot

question .COM maximum renewal period

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MasterGuru

Established Member
Impact
Dear colleagues,
Would you be so kind to clarify what is the maximum possible renewal period for .COM from the current date?
I have domain in .COM with expiration date in May-2033. If I transfer it from one registrar to another - will the expiration date renewed for this domain for additional year and will be May-2034?
I'm asking this question because in one sources I got information that .COM extension period is possible for up 9 years from current date and in other sources I got that .COM is possible for 10 years renewal from current date.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It'll just extend for one more year!

•••
Hi @MasterGuru

Does this thread answer your question?
I really got stuck with this question.

I have one .COM domain in one registrar with expiration date in October-2033 - and their support replied that it cannot be renewed or transfered with additional year extension - as they said October-2033 is the maximum for that .COM domain
and I have another .COM domain with other registrar with expiration date in May-2033 and in their control panel allows for one more one year renewal, but if I trying to transfer it to other registrar - there is error message on new registrar that "transfer is locked" while domain is unlocked and have "OK" status in the Whois.

So where is the truth?) 9 or 10 years is the maximum period for .COM domains?

•••
Solved this issue. Now got perfect answer from Registrar support. It explained all my questions and concerns perfectly. Now I understood how it works for .COM domains.
Dear colleagues,
Thank you very much indeed for your help!

•••
10 years is the maximum.

The gaining registrar should still be able to transfer it, but the expiration date would become exactly 10 years.

e.g. today is July 14, 2024. If the current expiration date is October 1, 2033, then the new expiration date would become July 14, 2034 (instead of October 1, 2034, as this would exceed 10 years from today)

Last edited:
•••
10 years is the maximum.

The gaining registrar should still be able to transfer it, but the expiration date would become exactly 10 years.

e.g. today is July 14, 2024. If the current expiration date is October 1, 2033, then the new expiration date would become July 14, 2034 (instead of October 1, 2034, as this would exceed 10 years from today)
Thanks for this perfect explanation.
And if for the .COM domain, that I renewed 7 days ago, at the current registrar that now have expire date in May-2033 (before renewal it was 2030) - can I now transfer it to another registrar? and will in this case additional year will be added after transfer?

•••
Thanks for this perfect explanation.
And if for the .COM domain, that I renewed 7 days ago, at the current registrar that now have expire date in May-2033 (before renewal it was 2030) - can I now transfer it to another registrar? and will in this case additional year will be added after transfer?
Assuming that the domain name is past the 60 day period since creation, and wasn't recently transferred to the current registrar (another 60 day lock period, although this might be changing as the transfer policy is under review; comment period coming in August 2024 at ICANN), then the answer is YES. After the transfer, the expiration date would become May 2034, so no problems with that domain getting the full additional year.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back