Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Afraid I can't say because of BB's rules...

•••
Good to hear sales are being made. Haven't sold any names with them in a while but decided to list some of my recent acquired names with them this week again.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sure...

First I would like to mention that I have just become a BrandBucket Brand Ambassador which I am very excited about! I was able to meet Margot and the BB team last week at their offices, and they have some exciting plans for the future. So if anyone has any questions, comments, etc about BB you can email me at my address below or shoot me over a PM.

To tomcarl's question... Some of my previous sales include

G/i/v/v/e
R/e/a/d/y/E/d/g/e
G/i/v/e/N/G/o
G/e/t/B/u/z/z
L/i/n/k/E/f/f/e/c/t
L/a/u/n/c/h/v/i/l/l/e

•••
Sure...

First I would like to mention that I have just become a BrandBucket Brand Ambassador which I am very excited about! I was able to meet Margot and the BB team last week at their offices, and they have some exciting plans for the future. So if anyone has any questions, comments, etc about BB you can email me at my address below or shoot me over a PM.

To tomcarl's question... Some of my previous sales include

G/i/v/v/e
R/e/a/d/y/E/d/g/e
G/i/v/e/N/G/o
G/e/t/B/u/z/z
L/i/n/k/E/f/f/e/c/t
L/a/u/n/c/h/v/i/l/l/e

Interesting! I noticed the huge influx of your names on BB last year Michael and also noticed quite a few of them sold! I always used to be a sort of "unofficial" ambassador/supporter of BB but got a bit fed up with the long waiting times, slow response on questions and a couple of other things that are not worth going into details about here on NP. Anyway, i decided to list a percentage of my recent names with them again this week and i noticed they've tackled the long waiting times and i also got a very quick response on a support ticket (within the same day) so it's promising. Definitely looking forward to their future plans and of course to making some sales again!

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I have definitely had a good rate of success at BB. They would be the first ones to tell you that they are still a small startup with limited resources, and the wait times are definitely some growing pains that any similar marketplace will experience when trying to increase their inventory. Like you said though, things are definitely improving.

Good luck with your submissions, and hopefully sales are in your near future!

•••
Yes, I have definitely had a good rate of success at BB. They would be the first ones to tell you that they are still a small startup with limited resources, and the wait times are definitely some growing pains that any similar marketplace will experience when trying to increase their inventory. Like you said though, things are definitely improving.

Good luck with your submissions, and hopefully sales are in your near future!

Considering the fact that you have more than 400 names listed I personally don't think your success rate (18 sold) is that good (yet). That said, brandables and domaining in general is a waiting game and I know some names on BB can sit there for years before they sell so I'm sure your success rate will only increase over time.

Last edited:
•••
I have 20 sales now, and about 275 of my names have just gone live in the last 2-3 weeks. Like most things in domaining, it is a numbers and waiting game.

•••
I've submitted 2 of my brandable domains, after 2 weeks or more they got accepted but their price tag was below my most pessimistic expectation so I didn't list them.

•••
added few domains let see what heppen next

•••
•••
Submitted 1 name yesterday, and it got accepted, but the price suggested is way below my expectations.

Any help on what should i do?

•••
Feel free to PM me the name along with what you are looking to get for it, and we will see what we can do.

•••
So If I get a few names accepted they will do the logos for free? Used to remember you had to pay extra for a logo but is it now standard?

•••
There is a $10 fee for each name submission, and then you select how much you are willing to pay a logo designer if the names sells ($100-$500). As far as I know it has been this way for some time.

•••
There are some pigeon doo-doo domains there. Namerific too. I understand it's mostly subjective, but wow...

•••
Also beware that BrandBucket.com expect to take a 30% cut from every sale. And they expect you to pay for one of their designers to make a logo design when your domain sales. If you want to design a logo for one of your own domains sold you need to sign up to be an (approved) designer.

•••
Get out of "brandables" while you still can!

•••
Get out of "brandables" while you still can!

Why? I like bold statements like these but only if they come with some sort of substantiation.

•••
Why? I like bold statements like these but only if they come with some sort of substantiation.

I've written a diatribe on brandables previously somewhere. I can't write 20 minute epilogues all of the time :p

To sum it up... companies aren't naive to the whole 'brandable' game anymore. It is why Brandbucket has released their onslaught of 'acceptance' for every name they can get into their marketplace. The business model is no longer viable and they can take what they can get.

Notice how bad their lists of names have become?

There is a learning curve to domaining that businesses had not caught up to yet, and they are catching up. So back in Brandbuckets hayday you could hand reg some decent brandabes and sell them for thousands because their marketplace had a decent sales pitch.

Now companies know better and know that they can find better names for cheaper prices, or handreg them on their own.

In addition, most companies are willing to pay more for a better keyword related name than to spend any money on a brandable they they will have to dump a lot of marketing into.

The game is over, and the actions of the marketplaces are clear signs of that.

Domainers will always be on the cutting edge of domains, it's the business, but eventually people catch up. Why pay a huge amount of money for a domain from a domainer when you can just do exactly what we do and get a great name at auction prices.

It's not rocket science.

In about 5 years, jig will be up completely, so to speak.

It's already happening now, but businesses have such a slow learning curve that it will take at least 5 years for all industries to catch up. In 7 years, the general public will rush to domaining like wildfire.

Notice how Google has gotten involved in domains all of the sudden, they see what's coming.

I equate the industry right now to the BitCoin industry when a BTC was $50 - $75. Sure 10,000 BTC = 1 Pizza at one time, and amazing six figure names could be scooped up for $5k, but now things are a little more pricey... but there is still a great deal of room for a booming profit.

This is good for us now because any decent names that we can snatch up now will be a windfall of profit when the market is at its peak.

But I digress...

I'm not saying brandables are out as a whole. The USPTO recommends that you name your company something brandable, they are legally called 'fanciful' names.

However, the game is over for brandables unless they are TRULY brandable domains that you fight for at auction, not this handreg junk Brandbucket has flooded its market with.

Even if you have an amazing brandable domain, selling it with brandbucket is foolish. 30% gone off the bat, fees, low pricing evaluatins by Brandbucket staff, and putting your name among that garbage only devalues your asset.

Okay, you got me to write a diatribe anyway. Lol. That's my take.

•••
I've written a diatribe on brandables previously somewhere. I can't write 20 minute epilogues all of the time :p

To sum it up... companies aren't naive to the whole 'brandable' game anymore. It is why Brandbucket has released their onslaught of 'acceptance' for every name they can get into their marketplace. The business model is no longer viable and they can take what they can get.

Notice how bad their lists of names have become?

There is a learning curve to domaining that businesses had not caught up to yet, and they are catching up. So back in Brandbuckets hayday you could hand reg some decent brandabes and sell them for thousands because their marketplace had a decent sales pitch.

Now companies know better and know that they can find better names for cheaper prices, or handreg them on their own.

In addition, most companies are willing to pay more for a better keyword related name than to spend any money on a brandable they they will have to dump a lot of marketing into.

The game is over, and the actions of the marketplaces are clear signs of that.

Domainers will always be on the cutting edge of domains, it's the business, but eventually people catch up. Why pay a huge amount of money for a domain from a domainer when you can just do exactly what we do and get a great name at auction prices.

It's not rocket science.

In about 5 years, jig will be up completely, so to speak.

It's already happening now, but businesses have such a slow learning curve that it will take at least 5 years for all industries to catch up. In 7 years, the general public will rush to domaining like wildfire.

Notice how Google has gotten involved in domains all of the sudden, they see what's coming.

I equate the industry right now to the BitCoin industry when a BTC was $50 - $75. Sure 10,000 BTC = 1 Pizza at one time, and amazing six figure names could be scooped up for $5k, but now things are a little more pricey... but there is still a great deal of room for a booming profit.

This is good for us now because any decent names that we can snatch up now will be a windfall of profit when the market is at its peak.

But I digress...

I'm not saying brandables are out as a whole. The USPTO recommends that you name your company something brandable, they are legally called 'fanciful' names.

However, the game is over for brandables unless they are TRULY brandable domains that you fight for at auction, not this handreg junk Brandbucket has flooded its market with.

Even if you have an amazing brandable domain, selling it with brandbucket is foolish. 30% gone off the bat, fees, low pricing evaluatins by Brandbucket staff, and putting your name among that garbage only devalues your asset.

Okay, you got me to write a diatribe anyway. Lol. That's my take.

Thanks for the write-up. Some arguments that I agree with. Others, not so much. To me it sounds more like you're saying: "Get out of "domaining" while you still can!". Because if companies know how to find Namejet or other domainer hangouts they can also get their own EMD instead of buying it from a domainer, right?

Personally I see a trend away from keyword domains and more companies choosing for a brand instead. Especially since Google doesnt care much anymore about EMD or keyword rich domains. Domain Holdings just released their Q2 sales report and with 15% of sales brandables accounted for large and growing number of the 10 million usd in sales that quarter.

•••
I agree, brandables are still a premium asset. Just not 95% of the ones listed on BrandBucket. Domain Holdings is an entirely different beast, they have brandables that would sell for low 5-figures at auction alone.

7 years is a long time, and the time is now to buy. But yes, in about 5-7 years domaining will be dead completely; with end users right at the point of auction purchase. So get what you can now and hold on tight.

It's the 'tech-curve' I saw it with eBay when I owned an online cell phone recycling business. I was wildly successful at a time when people were still afraid to use eBay, or didn't understand it; and companies were not buying back phones yet (2004-2007).

Four years later, the market was so flooded that margins became low, and that was a wrap.

I see this happening with domaining in the 5-7 year range.

It also doesn't help that every spamming idiot eMails domain owners and lets them know that a domain they 'could be interested in' will be available shortly and they will get it for you for $250. As the years go on, more of these kind of 'companies' will emerge and premium domain buyers will just go an buy it themselves as soon as they get an eMail like that.

Of course by this time any good 5L.com will all be taken, possibly all combinations, and the excellent domains that we buy now will all be 'premium'.

•••
Like DV mentioned, you seem to be against the domain industry in general.

When I take a look at your website, you seem to specialize in brandables, yet you are telling everyone to get out the marketplace.

Yes, BB takes 30%, but well over 90% of their sales are sold at listing price which is a pretty remarkable number. Only 1 out of my 21 sales have been below listing and I have had a handful sell in the mid-high $xxxx range.

Below is a very typical experience for me, and I think, for many other domainers...

Let's say you have a domain listed for $2K on your site. An interested buyer comes and offers you $1K and you both agree on $1.5K and you pay the escrow. If they pay by c/c, which they will, that is $100 right there. So your "$2k" name becomes $1400. If you have a $2K name on BB, your take home on that sale after commissions and paying a logo designer $100, is $1300.

The difference is only $100 or 5% of your asking price.

If you are super successful selling domains on your own, then by all means, continue doing what you are doing, but I learned very quickly in the business world, and the domain business specifically, that 70% of something is much better than 100% of nothing.

Last edited:
•••
It's worth noting that half, if not most of the domains sales reported on DNJournal.com are brandables...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back