NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks @Candace Cooke for the attempt at clarification :)

The chart that @equity78 just posted is titled "Keyword Sales Breakdown" and includes a subset called "Word + Suffix".. so that would lead me to think that when BB talks in the newsletter about keyword 60% and invented 40%, then "keyword + suffix" is included in the broader Keyword category, not invented.

•••
This link shows that many names classified as "Invented" by BB are simultaneously based to some degree off of a keyword:

https://www.brandbucket.com/invented-business-names

On another note, I had my 10th sale at BB today. It was a little over 10 months from 1st sale to 10th, and my all-time annualized rate is now 6.3%.

GLTA

•••
It is clear from the comments being posted on this thread over the past year that some people have had a positive experience with BB and others have not.

I am currently enjoying my experience with BB as I believe BB offers me the best avenue to make money with brandables.

I am continuing to acquire domains with a view to list them on BB. Not everyone will agree with this strategy - and I accept that.

I am glad I have met some nice people on this thread - and am looking forward to continuing to learn from them as I build my BB portfolio.

•••
It is clear from the comments being posted on this thread over the past year that some people have had a positive experience with BB and others have not.

I am currently enjoying my experience with BB as I believe BB offers me the best avenue to make money with brandables.

I am continuing to acquire domains with a view to list them on BB. Not everyone will agree with this strategy - and I accept that.

I am glad I have met some nice people on this thread - and am looking forward to continuing to learn from them as I build my BB portfolio.

You just summed it up! I am LOVING my experience with BB!

I can understand that if someone isn't happy, they would leave, I would leave too if I wasn't happy.

What I don't understand is why they would then spend all of their time for years after continually posting negative things in this thread. I just feel sorry for them.

•••
•••
What I don't understand is why they would then spend all of their time for years after continually posting negative things in this thread.

What about the sellers who move on quietly? Just because they don't waste their time informing others, doesn't negate their negative experience. I'm sick of watching insiders hype up the market.

Good-bye bb experience thread

•••
Congrats for the sale, @Nat Hunt!

I've been a seller for about 8 months, over 120 names now, close to 15,000 listing days... still nothing.

Even if my first sale was confirmed by the end of today, that would make a not-so-exciting 2.5% rate (your 6.3% looks like in the outter space to me).

Many questions in my mind about my brandable strategy right now...

•••

I can understand that if someone isn't happy, they would leave, I would leave too if I wasn't happy.

What I don't understand is why they would then spend all of their time for years after continually posting negative things in this thread. I just feel sorry for them.

I don't usually post, but I do read this thread often.

And this is called 'Brandbucket experience', not 'Brandbucket GOOD experience'.

If someone was disappointed with his/her BB experience, it's absolutely fair for them to post about it, and to question things if feeling they're not clear.

This is all about helping others. If you have a wonderful experience at BB you may try to help others by telling them to become BB sellers. But if you have an overall negative experience you'll try to point what you think it's not working, so others can analyze and make their own decissions.

Frankly, I thank all those who try to give food for thought. The all-is-terrible, all-is-wonderful posts seem quite useless, though.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

•••
I don't usually post, but I do read this thread often.

And this is called 'Brandbucket experience', not 'Brandbucket GOOD experience'.

If someone was disappointed with his/her BB experience, it's absolutely fair for them to post about it, and to question things if feeling they're not clear.

This is all about helping others. If you have a wonderful experience at BB you may try to help others by telling them to become BB sellers. But if you have an overall negative experience you'll try to point what you think it's not working, so others can analyze and make their own decissions.

Frankly, I thank all those who try to give food for thought. The all-is-terrible, all-is-wonderful posts seem quite useless, though.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I agree, but unfortunately many do not speak from their experience but from conspiracy theories and paranoia. They make assumptions and conclusions without any basis. I don't think anyone has complained about someone sharing a bad experience.

•••
I agree, but unfortunately many do not speak from their experience but from conspiracy theories and paranoia. They make assumptions and conclusions without any basis. I don't think anyone has complained about someone sharing a bad experience.

I may have that feeling in some cases too. But in the end, one position looks as suspicious as the opposite.

I mean, real life tends to be grey. When someone says it's all white / it's all black, always, all the time... you can bet he'll probably be wrong, or maybe even worse, is trying to deceive you who knows why.

What I can't understand is why someone saying it's all white complains about people who says it's all black. Because honestly, to me they're both sides of the same coin.

That complaint sounds a bit hypocritical.

•••
I may have that feeling in some cases too. But in the end, one position looks as suspicious as the opposite.

I mean, real life tends to be grey. When someone says it's all white / it's all black, always, all the time... you can bet he'll probably be wrong, or maybe even worse, is trying to deceive you who knows why.

What I can't understand is why someone saying it's all white complains about people who says it's all black. Because honestly, to me they're both sides of the same coin.

That complaint sounds a bit hypocritical.

I agree with your general premise. There is always improvement in something which means there are always gray areas. If you look at my past posts I am personally very emphatic about liking some things and disliking some things in BB. A major point of this thread, IMHO, is to find ways that BB can improve - or we can improve our usage of BB.

That being said, consider the following two scenarios:
- Person A: Says everything this is awesome with BB because he is selling at a 8% rate of his portfolio. Doesn't see anything wrong with BB since he is making a good return off of them.
- Person B: Says everything is awful with BB because they are only selling at a 1% rate of his portfolio.
Sees everything wrong with BB since he is losing $$ on them and assumes person A must have an advantage.

I am far more suspicious of Person B.
- I totally get Person A - they have rose colored glasses which is as to be expected. They are doing well and thus its hard to see the negatives. Understanding this, I take it into consideration and don't assume everything is as rosy as they think.
- I also understand Person B, but they appear to have a bad attitude because they are losing money. I know what its like to lose money and to be stressed about it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be a good sport about it. Why do we (humans in general) always tend to be blame shifters? Why do we automatically assume its BB or underhanded favors toward Person A that is making them do better than us? Why can't we examine the domains we have listed? Why don't we find out what those other people are doing (like emailing potential customers and directing them?). Please understand that I am not saying there is no blame on BB - but if there is, you should have some hard facts/reasons for it. I WANT to hear from people who are not selling on BB, but keep it to that unless you have evidence to why you are not selling and how it is BB's fault.

Again, I am in agreement on you that I am suspicious of both (or maybe it would be better to put it that I take their opinion with a sort of grain of salt knowing where they are coming from). However, when someone goes beyond simply being 100% negative about BB and making accusations, that is where I become more suspicious of them.

Hope that explains my position and thoughts better! No hard feelings are meant by any of it (not thinking of any specific individual in writing this), just very bluntly how I feel. :)

•••
Negative BB sellers probably believe that just because BB approved a name they submitted it should have an equal chance of selling just like MK's names do.

To succeed on BB I believe it is a combination of several factors. It includes targeting popular search terms, having a large inventory, submitting short catchy words or in the case of compound words, containing less than 13 characters, and most importantly, you need luck.

Last edited:
•••
Here we go again with conspiracy theories and corrupt data. I gave you my conclusion when I went through those 82 sales and posted the info here last night. Now remind everyone for the tenth time that you're a software engineer and pull out that software and explain to us how any of it is corrupt data.

78 out of 82 confirmed May sales so please explain how it is corrupt data.

Ray at TLDinvestors put the information up on his website last night and Ray doesn't put up anything that is corrupt or misleading. Who cares if it's 82 sales or 182 sales. We are only analyzing the ones that are here, nothing more nothing less. Take your software and explain to me with logic how that is not good information? If you can see it in black and white that only 1 sale out of 82 was a true made up name how is that not good and extremely useful information?

I can promise you that everyone that sees that info will stop buying names that are purely made up. Krell can say that this info is blatantly false but it's right in front of everyone's eyes that the only thing that CONSISTENTLY sells on BB are keyword or partial keyword based names.

Tape/no, Tape/zo, Zoom/ati and many more are in the invented category and Pay/apo, Hub/ova, Spot/ina, Spin/iva etc....are in the keyword category. Tape/zo is in the invented category and it says it's based off the word Tape. So then how in the hell is it an invented name if it's based off the word Tape? Zoom/ati? Yep, says it's based off the word Zoom. Net/evia? Yep, based off the word Net. Bot/amo? Yep, based off the word Bot. They don't even know the difference between a invented name and a keyword name. There are mass amounts categorized wrong. This is why they say it's a 60/40 split between keyword names sales and made up name sales but the problem is the names are not categorized correctly so the correct percentages are way off. The new BB newsletter should have a pie graph where the whole thing is red and all it says is 99% of our sales are based off a keyword because that's the flat out truth.

Of course there are always the outlier made up 5 or 6 letter name that sell but why invest your hard earned money in names like that when those names clearly don't sell anywhere near as much as keyword or partial keyword based names.

Honestly, this industry is straight up full of sh*t sometimes. The brandable segment needs to be kept accountable. We all follow brandable sales across every market from Sedo and Godaddy to Brandroot and BrandBucket. We base our brandable purchases on what is selling or trending. If I see bullsh*t in any information I come across you can bet your ass I will speak up. We not only have a commitment to ourselves and colleagues but we have a duty to all the newbies that come along for the ride.

I saved you and many brandable domainers here thousands of dollars by showing them exactly what sells and what doesn't sell. The truth is you should be thanking me instead of bitching about it.
If made up words (not associated with a keyword) don't sell BB would not be accepting them. Period. BB knows their own market place better than DNBolt.
If you think they accept anything so they can receive a listing fee, think again. Have a look at the number of rejects people on this forum complain about.

•••
I think one of the most important issue is adding our own keywords/categories. I don't think it's fair to have names with 6 keywords and others with 40 keywords.

Contacted BB with this issue and they told me to send them my own keywords.

I thought that's why we pay the $10 fee, so we don't have to do it. It'll take a lot of time to go through 400 names and add keywords one by one.

* or at least make it easier, so we can do it in the dashboard.

•••
Congrats for the sale, @Nat Hunt!

I've been a seller for about 8 months, over 120 names now, close to 15,000 listing days... still nothing.

Even if my first sale was confirmed by the end of today, that would make a not-so-exciting 2.5% rate (your 6.3% looks like in the outter space to me).

Many questions in my mind about my brandable strategy right now...

I'm sorry you have not sold a name - can you post a link to your profile?

•••

It seems like you paint world in black/white only. Here are 2 possible reasons why people might share bad/negative experiences, if you can't figure it out yourself:

- Not everyone after slipping on an icy patch on a sidewalk gets up and walks away. Some will try to warn others about it or get rid of ice, if possible.

- Some might hope that by raising issues related to their negative experiences, measures would be taken to fix situation, not necessarily for themselves, but maybe for some that would follow.

Both possible scenarios above show that those people are the type with which any society would be better off and you should feel sorry for those people who think of them as nuisance.

•••
EDITED: MODS DIDN'T LIKE THE ORIGINAL VERSION.

Here we go again with conspiracy theories and corrupt data. I gave you my conclusion when I went through those 82 sales and posted the info here last night. Please explain how this is corrupt data?

Ray at TLDinvestors put the information up on his website last night and Ray doesn't put up anything that is corrupt or misleading. Who cares if it's 82 sales or 182 sales. We are only analyzing the ones that are here, nothing more nothing less. Please explain to me how that is not good information? If you can see it in black and white that only 1 sale out of 82 was a true made up name how is that not good and extremely useful information?

I can promise you that everyone that sees that info will stop buying names that are purely made up. Krell can say that this info is blatantly false but it's right in front of everyone's eyes that the only thing that CONSISTENTLY sells on BB are keyword or partial keyword based names.

Tape/no, Tape/zo, Zoom/ati and many more are in the invented category and Pay/apo, Hub/ova, Spot/ina, Spin/iva etc....are in the keyword category. Tape/zo is in the invented category and it says it's based off the word Tape. So then how in the hell is it an invented name if it's based off the word Tape? Zoom/ati? Yep, says it's based off the word Zoom. Net/evia? Yep, based off the word Net. Bot/amo? Yep, based off the word Bot. They don't even know the difference between a invented name and a keyword name. There are mass amounts categorized wrong. This is why they say it's a 60/40 split between keyword names sales and made up name sales but the problem is the names are not categorized correctly so the correct percentages are way off. The new BB newsletter should have a pie graph where the whole thing is red and all it says is 99% of our sales are based off a keyword because that's the flat out truth.

Of course there are always the outlier made up 5 or 6 letter name that sell but why invest your hard earned money in names like that when those names clearly don't sell anywhere near as much as keyword or partial keyword based names.

Honestly, this industry is straight up full of it sometimes. The brandable segment needs to be kept accountable. We all follow brandable sales across every market from Sedo and Godaddy to Brandroot and BrandBucket. We base our brandable purchases on what is selling or trending. If I see bullsh*t in any information I come across you can bet your ass I will speak up. We not only have a commitment to ourselves and colleagues but we have a duty to all the newbies that come along for the ride.

I saved you and many brandable domainers here thousands of dollars by showing them exactly what sells and what doesn't sell. You should be thanking me instead of complaining.

•••
EDITED: MODS DIDN'T LIKE THE ORIGINAL VERSION.

Here we go again with conspiracy theories and corrupt data. I gave you my conclusion when I went through those 82 sales and posted the info here last night. Please explain how this is corrupt data?

Ray at TLDinvestors put the information up on his website last night and Ray doesn't put up anything that is corrupt or misleading. Who cares if it's 82 sales or 182 sales. We are only analyzing the ones that are here, nothing more nothing less. Please explain to me how that is not good information? If you can see it in black and white that only 1 sale out of 82 was a true made up name how is that not good and extremely useful information?

Honestly, this industry is straight up full of it sometimes. The brandable segment needs to be kept accountable. We all follow brandable sales across every market from Sedo and Godaddy to Brandroot and BrandBucket. We base our brandable purchases on what is selling or trending. If I see bullsh*t in any information I come across you can bet your ass I will speak up. We not only have a commitment to ourselves and colleagues but we have a duty to all the newbies that come along for the ride.

I saved you and many brandable domainers here thousands of dollars by showing them exactly what sells and what doesn't sell. You should be thanking me instead of complaining.
If you think made up/invented words don't sell on BB then how did all these made up/invented words on the link below sell?

http://dngeek.com/2015/05/here-are-1134-names-that-sold-on-brandbucket/

I have already counted 500 made up/invented words from that list...and I am still counting.

•••
•••
If you think made up/invented words don't sell on BB then how did all these made up/invented words on the link below sell?

http://dngeek.com/2015/05/here-are-1134-names-that-sold-on-brandbucket/

I have already counted 500 made up/invented words from that list...and I am still counting.
I never said that Made Up Pronounceables/MUPS don't sell but I did say they don't sell nearly as much as keyword or partial keyword based names. That list has sales that go back to 2007 and naming trends do change over time. Keyword based brandables were not very popular years back. It is around 8 years worth of names on that list just to be clear. If you're basing your naming criteria off of 8 year old information then chances are you heading the wrong direction. Much better to analyze confirmed sales off the list I posted last night. There are many other sales out there that are not confirmed but if you take some time and confirm them than that gives you an added advantage.

Unfortunately none of those sales on that list are confirmed so I won't comment on them but I'm sure many have a partial keyword in them that you don't see. With experience you will grasshopper. :)

When I looked at those names years ago the phrase "Fake it til you make it" came to mind. I know of many domain sales websites that when they would fine tune their inventory and drop names they would then list those names as sold on their website. Many sites you visit still do it today. Having SOLD tags on past inventory helps to play the part and put forth a certain successful image if you know what I mean. So unless I verified each and every sale I won't be commenting on any names from any websites except those that I confirmed for myself.

The bottom line is if you're going to invest your money then invest it in names that you know can sell based off of similar sold names. If you can confirm that keyword based sales have occurred then it's logical to invest in keyword names. If you can confirm that invented name sales have occurred then invest in invented names. No one here is trying to sway your opinion one way or the other but we are trying to give our opinion based off of what we know to be true.

•••
However, when someone goes beyond simply being 100% negative about BB and making accusations, that is where I become more suspicious of them.

For the record, not ALL is bad at bb.

The Good

• They sell more domains than any other brandable marketplace [I had 3 sales. (2) Dec '15 (1) Mar 16]
  • 30,000+ domains for their buyers to chose from. More domains / tags = more chances to meet their buyers needs
  • Advertising budget
  • Repeat buyers
  • Easy import system
  • Domain Reseller Transfer Option
  • First to market
  • Julia
  • Response time
  • Organic Traffic
  • 9,000+ FaceBook likes
  • A newsletter system that attracts buyers (when it's not flagged for including domains with a suspect history)
  • @margotb @DomainSherpa interview
upload_2016-6-7_21-5-50.png

upload_2016-6-7_21-18-54.png

• Voting system for FREE listing fee's

Good-bye bb experience thread
I figured it was necessary to leave this thread on a positive note... I have now 'unwatched' this thread.

Last edited:
•••
is to find ways that BB can improve

To achieve that you first need BB to be wanting to improve or change their model. I am not saying they don't but I haven't seen them exactly asking their users and take on board.

Negative BB sellers probably believe that just because BB approved a name they submitted it should have an equal chance of selling just like MK's names do.

Forgive my naivety...isn't it what should actually happen or am I missing something here?

Because if the above is not the norm it can only mean 2 things : that either BB is consciously accepting low / lower quality domains to collect some more fees and increase their ranking by having more domains pointing at them or that you and BB are fine with having some insiders using preferential channels or being treated differently than anyone else.

Shouldn't all the names have the exact same chances to sell? If not see answer above.

In no way a marketplace should be allowed to sell names that belong to their owners/directors which directly compete with names submitted by other domainers. Call me a conspiracy theorist but whose names do you think the marketplace would prefer to sell? Yours or their own?

It might not be the case and it might be that BB are 100% impeccable but knowing human nature I know what my answer would be.

Getting back to the 30 day right to commissions.
I believe that it can't be enforced. A domainer pays the 10$ fee to use the services provided by the marketplace for as long as the name is listed on it. Once the name is removed the domainer is NOT benefiting from the services anymore hence the 30 day request is not justifiable.

I am not a lawyer but I know I definitely would't pay the commission.

•••
To achieve that you first need BB to be wanting to improve or change their model. I am not saying they don't but I haven't seen them exactly asking their users and take on board.

Forgive my naivety...isn't it what should actually happen or am I missing something here?

Because if the above is not the norm it can only mean 2 things : that either BB is consciously accepting low / lower quality domains to collect some more fees and increase their ranking by having more domains pointing at them or that you and BB are fine with having some insiders using preferential channels or being treated differently than anyone else.

Shouldn't all the names have the exact same chances to sell? If not see answer above.

In no way a marketplace should be allowed to sell names that belong to their owners/directors which directly compete with names submitted by other domainers. Call me a conspiracy theorist but whose names do you think the marketplace would prefer to sell? Yours or their own?

It might not be the case and it might be that BB are 100% impeccable but knowing human nature I know what my answer would be.

Getting back to the 30 day right to commissions.
I believe that it can't be enforced. A domainer pays the 10$ fee to use the services provided by the marketplace for as long as the name is listed on it. Once the name is removed the domainer is NOT benefiting from the services anymore hence the 30 day request is not justifiable.

I am not a lawyer but I know I definitely would't pay the commission.

Not all domains are equal.

MK has publically announced that he buys expired domains that cost around $200. Majority of his domains are selling for $2000. You can't expect a hand regged domain that sells for $2000 (lots are hand regged on BB) to have the same chance of selling to a domain that is aged and was purchased for $200.

Once you notify BB that you wish to remove your listing from BB, your listing will still be published on BB for another 30 days - so BB has a right to earn a commission 30 days after you notified them to remove the listing.

•••
You can't expect a hand regged domain that sells for $2000 (lots are hand regged on BB) to have the same chance of selling to a domain that is aged and was purchased for $200.

WHAT??? Hundreds of members of this forum and several thousands sales prove nothing could be further from the truth.
My x,xxx brandable sales were hand regd or close outs...maybe the point is to stop registering garbage AND for BB to stop accepting low quality domains just to fill their pockets and ranking as I have stated in my previous post.

your listing will still be published on BB for another 30 days

Not true, if you change the DNS your domains are not listed on BB anymore. But regardless if what you say is what really happens, I think that domainers should be offered to choose if they want to keep their names listed for 30 days and accept to pay the fee or if they want their names to be removed straight away and cease the contract.

I am honestly happy about your positive experience with BB, I really am but your defense at all costs makes you look like someone who has interests and involvement well beyond the common BB customer/domainer.

Last edited:
•••
BB is emailing domain owners, offering them to list their domains for FREE, while the existing sellers are PAYING BB to list.

Talk about killing loyalty, it is disgusting behaviour.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back