domains Atom launches Cloud Broker program

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
:heavy_check_mark: TheDomains.com
:heavy_check_mark: TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Atom.com announced their Cloud Broker program on X and all the details are on their helpdesk. So now if you want to promote Atom premium listing domains, you can. Here is what it says for the broker side, their is a bunch of info for sellers as well. How Does It Work For Cloud Brokers? […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Last edited:
•••
For me: still a big no. In the current setup it's completely unclear who will broker your domains and how they will do this. That gives a very uncomfortable feeling. Perhaps, if the Seller can see and select in advance which broker will do it and how they will do this, I would consider it for a set of very specifically selected domains.
Exactly my thoughts.

•••
I am surprised how many domains have opted into the program. According to the stats on their dashboard, there are 260,947 Atom Premium domain names, and nearly 1/5 of these, 50,869 are in the Atom Broker program.

Atom Broker program also has 6550 standard listings opted in. As others have pointed out, in order for standard listings to be eligible they must have purchased the Marketing Upgrade.

While the vast majority of names on first glance are not obvious TM issues, I was concerned to see the ones listed earlier. If they do not already do this, Atom should add some sort of TM check before people can activate Marketing Upgrade. I presume the panels would not approve TM questionable names for Premium, but maybe a few get through.

Suggestion: Another option would be to have a TM check between when an owner opts in to the Atom Broker program and when the name goes live to potentially be brokered.

I don't think the percentage of offending names is significant, but it would only take a few to sour the entire program.

-Bob

PS There are tons of high value, and highly priced, names opted into the program. If one sorts by number of TLDs taken, for example, some impressive names that probably are brokerable. I wonder if any of the traditional brokers will find the payoff sufficient to try.

Last edited:
•••
Atom should probably block clearly-problematic domains from participating in the program.
Today, the "Google" related domains from the screenshot are no longer present in the Cloud Broker Program. I think these domains have also been removed from Atom Standard/Premium Listings. They still have squadhelp.com nameservers and should result in a lander, but a dedicated lander is no longer shown for these domains, only the general search page.

Last edited:
•••
Today, the "Google" related domains from the screenshot are no longer present in the Cloud Broker Program. I think these domains have also been removed from Atom Standard/Premium Listings. They still have squadhelp.com nameservers and should result in a lander, but a dedicated lander is no longer shown for these domains, only the general search page.
How do those domains get added to the platform with logos and without ownership verification?

For example, GoogleMail.com is owned by Google through MarkMonitor.

•••
How do those domains get added to the platform with logos and without any verification of ownership?

For example, GoogleMail.com is owned by Google through MarkMonitor.
All Atom domains, whether it be Premium accepted or Standard listings, have to be verified using DNS methods. Don't know about legacy domains that were added way back.

Premium accepted domains get a complimentary logo designed by Atom or its creative partners.

Standard listings may choose from standard image templates (which include Google related themes). You may also upload your own background images for your domains.

Fundamentally, something went wrong with the acceptance. It seems that this is improving rapidly now.

Last edited:
•••
For me: still a big no. In the current setup it's completely unclear who will broker your domains and how they will do this. That gives a very uncomfortable feeling. Perhaps, if the Seller can see and select in advance which broker will do it and how they will do this, I would consider it for a set of very specifically selected domains.
Exactly, most importantly you want to know, who is selling all my domain names? How will they market? Do they do real research? Do they make sure to comply with Can-Spam? Real brokers do a lot of outbound, but they do it properly. Someone just emailing a bunch of people who you know nothing about is not brokering. It's throwing a bunch of domain spaghetti at the wall and hoping some sticks.

•••
All Atom domains, whether it be Premium accepted or Standard listings, have to be verified using DNS methods. Don't know about legacy domains that were added way back.

Premium accepted domains get a complimentary logo designed by Atom or its creative partners.

Standard listings may choose from standard image templates (which include Google related themes). You may also upload your own background images for your domains.

Fundamentally, something went wrong with the acceptance. It seems that this is improving rapidly now.
If I were a broker (I'm just broke), I would never touch any of those Standard Domains, even though I had some good Domains in there. But the fact that they can use their own backgrounds—which are probably somewhere on the Internet—without a commercial use allowance, I don't know.

So, to be honest, in the beginning, I saw a chance, but just for Atom. It might cause a big reputational risk.

The best example is the Link / Screenshot I shared, and you replied to that with a different possibility for Standard Domains to be eligible for Brokerage as well.
The Article I shared was not even updated 1week ago.
It shows me they are not correctly aligning their Support (Articles) section.

Is there an updated figure on how much % of the Premiums have applied?

I can't see it because I don't have an account.

Kind regards

•••
I've been thinking about this some more. Here is an idea for a more restricted broker program.

Were the program to evolve to a more restricted form, I would probably participate as a seller, and possibly even apply to be a broker. Despite the fact I never want to do outbound. How do I see this restricted form working?

I think right now, despite great efforts by Atom and others to have an innovative marketplace with personalized search, too many potential buyers are not finding the names they might buy. What about a 'broker' program where the brokers are not allowed to do outbound emails or phonecalls? That would eliminate the concern that many of us have about people we don't know contacting whoever about our names and saying whatever. How could that possibly work with no outbound you ask?

Let's say I am a client and want a domain name that is for a certain niche, like telehealth. The buyer applies to Atom to get the services of a broker assigned. There could be a nominal charge as long as not too steep. The buyer tells the broker what they want, and any limitations.

The broker then uses their familiarity with Atom marketplace, and sound naming principles, to find say the 10 best names, and propose them. If the buyer takes one of those names, the broker gets a cut, as per the Atom Broker program. If not, either zero pay or some modest fee if the client says the list was reasonably created, just not any they want.

But isn't that like the existing contest program? Not exactly. In the contests, except those restricted to Tier A creatives, there tend to be thousands of submissions, and I suspect most of them are not very good or relevant. Here, Atom would track and rate brokers, and acceptance to the program would be always under review. Those who do not provide relevant suggestions would be dropped.

The other way I see it different is that a broker would have areas of expertise. For example, I might be approved for science, research, space, etc. but not approved for crypto, dao, betting, etc. based on what I know.

The potential buyer would, at least initially, only get one broker assigned. So the broker would know it was worth my effort and 15 other people are not going to submit the same names, and only 1 of us get rewarded.

Each broker would have a profile and could not be anonymous (some will disagree with this). Their profile would show their expertise, record with Atom, etc. Kind of like real estate agents. If you agree to take on an assignment as a broker, there should be a time limit, and brokers who miss that should be noted, and repeated problems dropped from program.

Sure there would be complexities to work out, but Atom are the masters of crowd sourced solutions.

Anyway my idea for the day.

-Bob

ps Darpan has already commented on nontraditional roles for brokers, such as writing articles on best X names in a niche, that are consistent with what I am proposing.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't mind outbound, but only with an assigned broker. They could put up a broker directory, where the brokers would list their qualifications, how they would market the domains, and what type of domains they would consider. You can then submit your domains to them. Like NamePros, there should be some penalty (coins, points) for submitting domains that aren't what they want. Otherwise, they'll just be bombarded.

Brokers should also have the option to reach out to domain owners, if they see something they like on the platform.

If you reach an agreement with a broker, then that domain can't be listed with another broker.

•••
The broker then uses their familiarity with Atom marketplace, and sound naming principles, to find say the 10 best names, and propose them. If the buyer takes one of those names, the broker gets a cut, as per the Atom Broker program. If not, either zero pay or some modest fee if the client says the list was reasonably created, just not any they want.

But isn't that like the existing contest program? Not exactly. In the contests, except those restricted to Tier A creatives, there tend to be thousands of submissions, and I suspect most of them are not very good or relevant. Here, Atom would track and rate brokers, and acceptance to the program would be always under review. Those who do not provide relevant suggestions would be dropped.

Hey dear Bob,

I like the approach to how you think about this obvious topic with outbound spamming. It's, tbh. a good idea, what you proposed - but there are probably a few downsides: It might be a cherry-picking for brokers to get the best Domains out of the pot. I mean, they would present these Domains under their liability through their page, like other big Domainers here on NP do, but I still see the risk that there is something like an affiliate program on their page, which would then third parties give the option to do exact the same thing. I mean, yes - you could potentially exclude everything. But as we know, and that's a German quote, "Geld frisst Hirn" -> "Money eats your brain" - people get greedy and want to make progress and not sign up for something they struggle with.

And the point with the Domain Contest is perfect. I can't agree more.

Well, I kind of "criticized" your idea (even though I mean it respectfully), but I don't have the best solution as of now.
We see changes in their terms & conditions and rising numbers of Domains that want to participate.
And there are still people in this big world who don't care about the TOS unless they get detected, so some people who have fake Profiles/IDs, etc., could abuse it even more, mass spamming in all socials (with all the toolkit they have), make their money & could be successful with it.

So, the potential to abuse it is very high. It takes 1-3 weeks to evaluate and properly analyze it.
But I enjoy reading this discussion. Different ideas, thoughts, opinions, constructive - thumbs up to everyone here!

One thing I did not understand correctly: Do they mention in each outbound / sales activity that they are acting as a "self-employed"-third party for ATOM, or do they just mention that they are not the owner but brokering for someone?
I assume they don't get any seller's data? If yes, it would be a compliance topic as well.

Best regards,
Mustafa

•••
Hi Mustafa,

Thanks for your well-expressed comments. And no doubt there are potential issues, possibly serious, as you suggest.
It might be a cherry-picking for brokers to get the best Domains
This will certainly happen, but ultimately the interest of Atom should be that buyers get the best names for their situation (that would not necessarily be the very best name, depending on their price constraints). I don't know how one would handle favouritism possibly to certain sellers, and if they should be allowed to promote one of their own names, if it were suitable.

To some degree how many times a name was selected by a broker would provide a metric for the owner, like views and short lists and contest loves do now.

Do they mention in each outbound / sales activity that they are acting as a "self-employed"-third party for ATOM, or do they just mention that they are not the owner but brokering for someone?
I assume they don't get any seller's data?
You would have to ask (or read ToS if it is clear) Atom. I don't know personally other than they have to make clear on any outbound that they are not the owner.

-Bob

•••
Thanks Bob :)
This will certainly happen, but ultimately the interest of Atom should be that buyers get the best names for their situation (that would not necessarily be the very best name, depending on their price constraints). I don't know how one would handle favouritism possibly to certain sellers, and if they should be allowed to promote one of their own names, if it were suitable.

To some degree how many times a name was selected by a broker would provide a metric for the owner, like views and short lists and contest loves do now.

One idea is that what is established in banking is a "Tiering" of clients and, ultimately, the bankers who are eligible / fall into their Tier class.

Tiering "broad" could be done in criteria like:

- Allowed to promote Ultra Premium Domains -> Compared to Banking, in Germany, it would be "Wealth Management," depending on the Bank - it's a Banker who is in a Department handling clients from 5-10mn€ net worth

- Allowed to promote Premium Domains -> Compared to Banking, in Germany, it would be something like "Private Banking," depending on the Bank - it's a Banker who is in a Department handling clients from 500k$ net worth

- Allowed to promote Upgraded Standard Domains -> Compared to Banking, in Germany, it would be like a regular Banking clerk dealing with clients who don't fall into one of these groups.

So it could be an option to establish a Tier system for Brokers, like "Level," - and the KPIs could potentially be:

- CTR / in a specific period
- Complaints
- Feedback System
- Community Engagement like "Teaching and Helping others"
- Activity

Those are measurable and would protect ATOM by not allowing everyone to get a wildcard for expensive and sensitive Domains. It would encourage the ATOM broker community to contribute, avoid Complaints, and "unlock" themselves to higher-tier groups.
Even in the Premium section, Domains are from 3k up to XXk $.
So establishing that kind of system is not rocket science, but it would help them protect higher-value Domains from spamming by random new brokers.
Of course, a company focused on brokerage with 50 Employees will reach the Goal even faster than a solo broker - but that's the point: If they want to benefit from a Broker and still want professionalism, this should be the way to go.

Let me know your opinion, I am open for criticism :)

Kind regards,
Mustafa

•••
Namelot tried this I believe. Don't think it was ultimately successful.

•••
Namelot tried this I believe. Don't think it was ultimately successful.
It looks good, but the approach is different, and you can't compare a Micro company, even though they are in the Namesilo group, with Squadhelp / Atom.

https://techstartups.com/2023/03/24...ow-its-naming-and-domain-name-sales-platform/

There is a different financial power; just look for the balance sheets.

At least for Namelot

This is a completely different league in terms of market reach, credibility & chances of better market penetration.

Kind regards,
zotix

•••
•••
Thanks for sharing; I saw it already on their website. - But it's not reflected in their Balance sheet.
(The figures that SAW is advertising)

And what I meant with different approach, is that for NameLot, the client (obviously) picks the broker.
1722708161867.png

Im not signed up there, but if there is just cherry picking, i dont know how efficient that is - at least, me as a broker would rather pick the bigger ticket than a smaller one; the initial effort will be the same.
And thats what i (as of now) like for ATOMs Brokerage Service. Even though it has things to be re-considered, Domains are already clustered by their Standard/Premium Tiering & from a first look, even without being signed up, you already see what a Broker qualifies, the Rules for them etc.
So more transparancy.

Never heard of NameLot tbh.

But thats definetely something to have look on :))

Thanks for sharing!
Mustafa

•••
•••
•••
Has anyone spotted an active Atom Cloud Broker in the wild yet?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back