Dynadot

news GoDaddy has doubled the price of their broker service fee to $119.99

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I see that today the broker service fee on parked godaddy pages is now $119.99. I assume this will increase Godaddy's revenue while decreasing sales for individual domain holders. I hope they are just temporarily testing this new price doubling. Does anyone have any info on this godaddy broker fee price change?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I see that today the broker service fee on parked godaddy pages is now $119.99. I assume this will increase Godaddy's revenue while decreasing sales for individual domain holders. I hope they are just temporarily testing this new price doubling. Does anyone have any info on this godaddy broker fee price change?
Hopefully Paul Nicks last great failure before losing his spot on Godaddy leadership team page.

Last edited:
•••
I saw this last night searching for names. I guess it cuts down on time wasters.

•••
I can confirm it wasn't in place for GoDaddy.com searches for about an hour post-news, but it is now. Regardless of pricing, the service offers very little value other than to "ping" domain sellers that someone is looking to buy their domain, usually at heavily discounted aka lowball prices.

•••
I can confirm it wasn't in place for GoDaddy.com searches for about an hour post-news, but it is now. Regardless of pricing, the service offers very little value other than to "ping" domain sellers that someone is looking to buy their domain, usually at heavily discounted aka lowball prices.
I saw it last night Theo on my searches, I looked up a couple names and saw $119.99 probably around 3 A.M. Eastern time.

•••
What I am saying is that they rolled it out in batches. The price was still $69 and change.

•••
Unchecked GREED goes hand in hand with monopoly.

•••
Raising prices doesn't necessarily mean making more money.

GD seem to be making a lot of decisions that will not necessarily work out for the better in the long term.

•••
GoDaddy has the worst business practices.

It was *automatically* adding brokerage fees to shopping cart whenever I searched for a domain!

Now, this.....

•••
Everything is going up in price and good employees demand higher pay and it is not easy to find good ones. Companies must keep up with this cycle and if inflation does not calm down, we will enter hyperinflation suddenly. Domain renewal a billion dollars, cost of AAPL stock a few trillion dollars, cost to hire a gd broker, infinity. Obviously I am exaggerating but if 119 seems like a price increase to you now, just wait until hyperinflation kicks in (hope it won't). You will post wondering if gd has an error, why just 119 to hire a broker, that is less than the cost of a plastic straw.

•••
Everything is going up in price and good employees demand higher pay and it is not easy to find good ones. Companies must keep up with this cycle and if inflation does not calm down, we will enter hyperinflation suddenly. Domain renewal a billion dollars, cost of AAPL stock a few trillion dollars, cost to hire a gd broker, infinity. Obviously I am exaggerating but if 119 seems like a price increase to you now, just wait until hyperinflation kicks in (hope it won't). You will post wondering if gd has an error, why just 119 to hire a broker, that is less than the cost of a plastic straw.
Personally I don't see hyperinflation happening any time soon but assuming it did the main concern would be around necessities like food and water etc. Anything else (such as the price of GD brokerage services and DDC) would crash and burn. Arguably the only way they'd be able to maintain any kind of usage in a hyperinflation scenario would be to drop prices or get rid of the service all together.

A few users of a low priced service is better than no users of a high priced service (unless the few users don't cover the running cost in which case no service at all is better (unless you're UBER or any of the delivery services that run at a constant loss for some reason))

•••
If they are going to raise the service fee they should lower the success fee. The 20% commission is rather steep.

This change might be as much about managing resources as making money, at least with the initial contact.

A higher initial cost likely means higher quality offers. However, that is a balancing act because the party could essentially be paying $120 for nothing.

Brad

•••
Personally I don't see hyperinflation happening any time soon but assuming it did the main concern would be around necessities like food and water etc. Anything else (such as the price of GD brokerage services and DDC) would crash and burn. Arguably the only way they'd be able to maintain any kind of usage in a hyperinflation scenario would be to drop prices or get rid of the service all together.

A few users of a low priced service is better than no users of a high priced service (unless the few users don't cover the running cost in which case no service at all is better (unless you're UBER or any of the delivery services that run at a constant loss for some reason))
Uber finally showed a profit of over a billion for 2023.

•••
Hi @fogfever
Thanks for sharing. We will continue to review pricing for GoDaddy's Domain Broker Service as we evaluate the service we provide to domain buyers. The pricing you see is part of that ongoing work.

I assume this will increase Godaddy's revenue while decreasing sales for individual domain holders.
To clarify, price changes to GoDaddy's Domain Broker Service do not impact Afternic-listed domain name sales. Our system is set up so that when a Domain Broker Service customer searches for a domain name actively listed at Afternic, they are forwarded to the aftermarket listing to purchase the domain name or make an offer (depending on the seller's settings).

•••
•••
what Im allowing to lapse

GoDaddy Auctions - Membership w/ DomainAlert. Pro Monitoring
Pro Domain Alert
Auctions Membership

Cheers
Corey

•••
Thanks I hadn't seen that.

It took Uber like a decade to finally turn a profit.

Most businesses would be bankrupt or classified as a hobby by then. :ROFL:

Brad

•••
I feel sorry for the poor souls that will pay that much only to offer a lowball number that will be rejected.

•••
It took Uber like a decade to finally turn a profit.
That was the plan all along wasn't it? Create an effective monopoly, and then increase the prices. It's not like people are going to check out competitors when they need a ride home from the club.

I feel sorry for the poor souls that will pay that much only to offer a lowball number that will be rejected.
What's funny to me is that DynaDot's service is still $20.

1716438561625.png

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing it's similar?

•••
“If they use it at $69.99, they will at $119.99!!”

GoDaddy Logic.

Last edited:
•••
That was the plan all along wasn't it? Create an effective monopoly, and then increase the prices. It's not like people are going to check out competitors when they need a ride home from the club.

What's funny to me is that DynaDot's service is still $20.

Show attachment 257067

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing it's similar?
Wow! $20. Reasonable. I will have to try them, unlike GoDaddy brokers.

Last edited:
•••
There is also DomainAgents.com for $19.95.

They also charge much lower success fees -

$10,000 USD & Under - 10%
$10,001 - $50,000 - $1,000 + 7.5% on amount above $10,000
$50,001 - $100,000 - $4,000 + 5% on amount above $50,000
$100,001+ - $6,500 + 2.5% on amount above $100,000

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Cost of one year of registration on top of that. Cha-ching!!

•••
A lot of people aren't really comparing broker fees and they might not even know that domain brokerage is a business. All they really know is that GoDaddy is offering them a service for negotiating a potential sale for a domain they want.

•••
Uber finally showed a profit of over a billion for 2023.

1.9B in profit after a record 9.1B loss in the previous year, tbh it looks like they just moved some numbers around. Let's see if they manage to do it consistently.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back