IT.COM

Opinions regarding .eu

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
do you think the .eu register will be more strict than .us?
currently anyoen can register .us although the rules state otherwise.

I am hoping you MUST have a european billing address/credit card
or company based there, because that will mean i have a good chance of catching some hot names (selfish i know ) :)

im thinking uk is the only english speakign country. While the there is plenty of people who speak english, the number of fluent speakers in other countries is not great and those who do speak good english are not the type so interested in domain speculation.

the major domain speculators are americans, and english speakers. If the .eu excludes them then that leaves only the uk speculators and a few non english speakers as competitors.

of course the big easy names, sex.eu, cars.eu. business.eu
everyone will go for but there will be thousands of smaller names that might be worth a few k, that will be easy to register

what are your thoughts on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
internet.eu
computers.eu
windows.eu
register.eu

might be good ones

•••
also take a look at this

Once the "sunrise period" has been closed and the live registrations start, domains will be attributed on a "first come, first served" basis.

i am curiosu about register corruption ?

what about the computer tech guys and workers in the different registers. they are working in this field so have an obvious interest.

the first second the regisatry opens or maybe even a few minutes before, they are going to be grabbing names. they are sitting in the register office so of course they are going to be first to get the name.

is this possible ? i think it is very likely

i was thinking more about this.

take your average domain register boss,
imagine enom. now everyone knows he is interested in the domain business.
would he be tempted to register some top names like sex.com if he had the chance? of course he would.

when the initial registrations open i am positive there will be some insider goings on. the normal public will not have the chance at the best names.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, domdom, i see you have many things to learn :)

1. In real time registration environment there is no chance to check billing address or to collect some evidences about it, and also, no one will check what is the address on the cc.
So, everyone will be able to get .eu no matter where they are.

2. You would be surprised how many domain speculators are there in non-english speaking countries. Example: Yun Ye aka UltimateSearch (sounds familiar?) :) Although, he is from Hong Kong - Brittish Territory untill 6 yrs ago, but his name says he is Chinese.

3. Maybe its true that Americans are the major DN players, but dont be so sure that there is no DN pros in Korea, Europe (Italy, Germany, France, Scandinavia, Spain...), Canada, Brasil, China...
You are very WRONG if you think that Americans are the only players in domain business.

Greetings from Croatia (non-english speaking country) :)

•••
it is not difficult to prevent non EU from buying .eu
i think it would take only a few minutes

usually on the payment form you submit your credit card, it gives a list of countries and zip codes etc

the registers just modify the form, excluding non EU countries.
so maybe there would be 13 countries to select from. if your from another county and try to select one of the 13 countries, then your card of course will be rejected by the visa verification program. same as if you type in wrong card details.

i doubt the registers would do it though, as they care about profits more than integrity.

it wont take any work on the registers part
the automatic verification service will reject cards because they have not entered the correct country.

as i said before takes only a few minutes to edit a payment form and exlude some countries

Last edited:
•••
eu

for those in EU, i think it .eu has great potential if europeans opt for .eu rather than their own countrly tlds.

•••
I also think that the .EU extension has a lot of potential. I will personally try to register a few when it does come out. (Of course, I do hope that it will be as easy to register as the .us extension without complicated procedures.)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back