NameSilo

discuss Will Apple New Search Engine Surpass Google?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will Apple search engine replace Google as #1

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    44.4%
  • No

votes
    55.6%
  • AskJeeves

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

briguy

Guru In Remission!Top Member
Impact
Just came across this interesting article about Apple "launching search engine to destroy Google"

Apple is launching a search engine called “Spotlight,” at a pace of 3% a quarter -- if you have an iPhone or Mac you’ve been using it for a while!

Google has gone from unstoppable to “about to be stopped,” in the minds of the smartest folks in the industry. Search ads are Google’s cash cow; unfortunately, for them, it seems that Google is not advancing the platform (outside of slamming massive amounts of “paid inclusion”).

source

This has to be the most interesting quotes that I have seen in awhile..
When Jobs found out that Google was secretly going to compete with the iPhone he reportedly said:

“We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but there’s no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This don’t be evil mantra: “It’s bullshit.

Tim Cook is suggesting a better path for users: Apple will give you the ability to search for “free,” as in ad-free and data-collection-free.

Sure would love to read your opinions!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Although I think it might be good for several industries, including ours here, it won't make any kind of significant impact at least for a while.

Google has got too much of a hold on the market and Apple seems to always have bugs or other issues every time they release something new.

Google has put way too much into their beloved search engine and it won't be easy for apple to make a big impact as far as taking away some of Google's market share.

I remember when Bing was first released and many people thought that was going to take over Google's place at the top. It hasn't, and it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

Maybe if Microsoft would put all it's efforts into one search engine only it might have a better chance.

•••
If any company can upset google it is apple~!
And reading that, I see their plan is exactly that./...
KILL GOOGLE!
And doing it right with no ads, and other google crap thrown in.
Everyone with an iphone, ipad, mac computer, etal?
You know they will leave google for good.
Heck, once apple sets it up for my computer I am on that one in a heartbeat!

•••
Apple is saying no ads but I bet they will have ads down the road after they have a following. Either that or some other way to monetize it. Maybe no ads for people on an Apple device.

•••
I partially agree with both comments above.

If there is one company that can do that is Apple because of the appeal it has on the public and how widely all over the world their devices are owned. Turning existing customers into search users won't be that hard. Hopefully, though, they will do a better job than what they did with Safari...not the best browser, not the fastest, not so compatible with everything. Chrome beats it 10-0.

Apple will have to turn their niche-oriented mind into something more broad if they want to achieve something.

On the other side Google is such a giant, such well known, such entangled with everything that I find it hard to believe that any change to their monopoly could occur quickly. To realize how common and known a brand or name is you have to check this : when people identify a generic action or name with a brand then you got it. People don't even say " I am searching something online " they say " I am googling something "

A more competitive market though, will be definitely a good thing for everyone I suppose; especially website owners that, now, literally depend on how well big G guys wake up in the morning.

•••
There were already so many google killers among big companies like Microsoft and Yahoo, so I don't believe that anymore

•••
Apple may easily take mobile search engine since they're the big player on smartphone field. If they plan to really take down Google which doubtfully will happen, they have to up their publishing relations (PR) than just a platform/middle company between app/biz developers and consumers. It will all depend on their strategies, tools, timing, technologies.

Meanwhile, an interesting anti-pr for Apple :
Youtube and Spotify

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back