IT.COM

discuss Who Owns The Web?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
30 years ago today Tim Berners-Lee put the internet into the Public Domain. No patent or fee strings attached. Thanks Tim! Today, most of the world's population uses the web, and its home to some the most valuable companies in history.

After 30 years... Who Owns The Web?
Some say big tech does. I think Domainers do, as we own about 80% of the web's addresses.

Now the question is: What can domainers do today to help ensure a public domain of web ownership for the next generation? IMO, getting to work creating an Internet Property Value Matrix is the critical foundation needed to build domaining's future on.

Based on the largest brand value database, global intangible asset values went from $6 trillion to over $74 trillion, in 25 years. So I think its safe to say ~80% of the global namespace for intangible brand assets, owned by domainers, could be valued in the Trillion$ -and leveraged to finance a more robust, and successful, business of domaining.

Getting a respected Valuation firm to put a value on the internet's intangible domain namespace assets could well be the best thing domainers could do, and there are so many of us the distributed cost may equal just a few .com hand-regs each. I'm in!
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/intangibleasset.asp

The International Valuation Standards Council (IVSC), is a non-profit organization dedicated to establishing and promoting global valuation standards to serve the public interest. Valuations hold a pivotal position in the global financial landscape, acting as key drivers for economic prosperity.
https://www.ivsc.org/about/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Who owns the Internet? · ISPs are charged by network providers for the use of backbone · ISPs sometimes own parts of backbone ·

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back