Dynadot

poll What should the length of a domain be ?

NameSilo
Watch

What should the length of a domain be ?

• 1st

The length of the second-level domain only (namepros = 8)

votes
    60.0%
  • 2nd

The length of the second-level domain + third level domain (namepros.com = 12)

votes
    40.0%

• 10 votes
  • Ended 8 years ago
  • Final results
What should the length of a domain be ?

Most of us refer to the length of a domain as the length of the second-level domain (SLD) 'example.com' = 7 character domain but if we include the third-level domain (TLD) (dot + 'com') it's becomes an 11 character domain.

Since some new gTLDs are much longer than older TLDs maybe we should rethink the whole idea of a domains length.

After all, short domains are credited for there shortness to read, to type and to remember.

e.co is a single character domain and is just 4 characters to type, the shortest possible domain name with or without the TLD.

Should e.co not be credited as being the shortest or has it the same length as e.photography which has 13 characters to type.

What do you think a domains length should be ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
LOL but the dot is on the RIGHT hand side, I never thought about that part. Then I can only get certain ccTLDs - io li pl mn hk ly mk - I'll actually look later that's off top of my head, pretty sure I only have mk that are right only. I have coms that are left only, then I use CTRL+Enter to complete but if I have to hand type like a form field, every keystroke counts.

After spending hours last week looking for an "easy to type" name I came to the conclusion I should just improve my typing skills.

@doubleU - I like that you put the option for keystroke total including dots

•••
G/E.DE would be perfect for you ;)
I'm also a fan of short domains including both sides of the dot.

bf.al
ja.al
kp.al
kx.al
nb.al
rx.al
sz.al
xq.al
yu.al
jj.al
14.pm

All "5" character domains if you include the dot.

•••
•••
•••
I have about 40 LL and NN dot al.
One of my favorite extensions. Costs me about $10/year per name, European tld with no Libya .ly type of risks, suitable for great hacks like actu.al, initi.al etc., 3 million of own population and about $13BN GDP.

•••
TLD = TOP LEVEL DOMAIN not THIRD LEVEL DOMAIN

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back