Watch

infilead

Impact
  • Use readable URLs
  • Always use hypens in urls
  • No capital letters in URLS
  • Add target keywords in URLs

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Matt Cutt's addressed hyphens and underscores in URLs. If you've already started with underscores (as Wikipedia uses them), don't rush out and change them. Google will understand the difference and still rank you accordingly. You should begin a new site with hyphens, but don't go out and 301 all your old permalinks.

A hyphen is meant to be a separator and an underscore a connector in searches. Google was developed by programmers and it is a lot easier searching programming terms.

This shouldn't be a problem today as many start with WordPress and permalinks are automatically made with hyphens.

Source: https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/

•••
  • Target long-tail keyphrases

•••
  • Target long-tail keyphrases
If using WordPress, a keyword should be in your title already with researching your main word and creating an enticing title around it. Your title will be converted into a permalink if you have them setup correctly.

A good tip is to include your main keyword, which turns into a long-tail phrase once the permalink is automatically generated upon input. You can see this by looking at the URL of this thread including the title as "url-optimization-tips". Having your own blog or website, you can customize this and should follow this format.

Include the keyword in a H1 tag as well

Good tip, just expanding on it with WordPress as the CMS!

Edit: I must have read your post wrong, I thought it was speaking about permalinks.

•••
This video is very old and urls no longer play such an important part in seo. I know a few years ago it was huge to do "seo friendly" urls. I do not think they matter much any more.

•••
Yes of course URL doesn't play a greater role in SEO. But SEO friendly URL will clearly notifies that what kind of page it is and also it reduces the bounce rate.

•••
Targeting long tail keywords in URL may work better as they include more number of words/keywords and clearly specify what the page about.

•••
Does anyone know how long a URL should be before it appears as spammy?

•••
Has nothing to do with length.

Blog posts with naturally long titles = probably not spammy.
Buy-cheap-v**gra-payday-loans-garcinia-cambogia = spammy

•••
look at the serps.
Long urls and short urls rank about the same.
And I doubt that google gives much credence to keyword domains over non-keyword domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back