NameSilo

advice TheSport.Blog:Sell or Develop

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LordMomo

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,
I am looking for some advice here. I own the domain TheSport.Blog which I believe is an excellent name for a sport website/news group.

I do have some small experience in this topic so I am considering developing it. However, I am unsure if it is worth doing so or to rather just sell it. I have received really lowball offers from resellers in the mid to high $xxx range, but I am looking for at least low to mid $x,xxx before I consider letting go off it.

Now my question to the NP community is, should I develop or should I try to sell? The renewals are the lowest for .blog's at I think 35$/year, which I do not mind paying if I believe it to be worthwhile.

I would appreciate any responses :xf.smile:

Regards,
Momo

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sell/Drop

Build the sports website on .COM/.NET/.ORG or ccTLD. :)

Hi all,
I am looking for some advice here. I own the domain TheSport.Blog which I believe is an excellent name for a sport website/news group.

I do have some small experience in this topic so I am considering developing it. However, I am unsure if it is worth doing so or to rather just sell it. I have received really lowball offers from resellers in the mid to high $xxx range, but I am looking for at least low to mid $x,xxx before I consider letting go off it.

Now my question to the NP community is, should I develop or should I try to sell? The renewals are the lowest for .blog's at I think 35$/year, which I do not mind paying if I believe it to be worthwhile.

I would appreciate any responses :xf.smile:

Regards,
Momo

•••
Sell/Drop

Build the sports website on .COM/.NET/.ORG or ccTLD. :)

Thanks for the response :xf.smile:
I really doubt I'll be able to get a .com with such an apt name. A ccTLD is an option I had not considered though.
I feel like TheSport.blog is a much more concise name than TheSportblog.net for example though.
It's like car.shop versus carshop.net:unsure:

•••
•••
@Adam27
I totally understand your point of view. But my understanding is that a blog is a place of information. It is not a place where you are primarily selling anything but articles and info.

I do not believe the "trust issue" with gTLDs is a problem for a domain such as TheSport.Blog since it is only likely to sell sports articles.

The articles may be biased or not depending on the owner (me or someone else). The readers will ultimately make decisions as to whether they would read from their site or not.

For example, I know for instance that when football transfer rumours are circulating, there are certain sites I will read, and some that I won't. However, both types fulfil their individual niches and have their own sets of traffic.

Basically my point is that TheSport.Blog is very unlikely to be selling physical products initially and that the "trust issue" with gTLDs should not affect it.

•••
Someone who is an avid college football or basketball fan might could write blog posts on

collegefootball.tld
collegebasketball.tld

If they devoted serious time and resources into developing the site, perhaps they would eventually garner enough traffic to make a little money with banner ads and Google Adsense. They will never be able to compete with ESPN.

The problems I see with this particular domain are:
1) I despise "the" domains even though there is one well-known domainer who operates a blog on one and has sold several .COM domains starting with "the"
2) "sport" is too general. Unless you have serious resources to put into development, you are never going to be able to offer in-depth coverage on dozens of different sports at the high school, college and pro levels.
3) .blog is OK for a blog but it will make resale efforts more challenging as blogs are thought of as personal not commercial

If you are an avid sports fan and want to learn something about development, consider it a learning experience. I would not have high expectations about resale value.

•••
Thanks for all your responses. :xf.smile:

The problems I see with this particular domain are:
1) I despise "the" domains even though there is one well-known domainer who operates a blog on one and has sold several .COM domains starting with "the"

I understand you mean that "the" is unnecessary and just increases domain length. But consider the difference between Sport Blog and The Sport Blog. I feel the second option is much more professional and a better name.

2) "sport" is too general. Unless you have serious resources to put into development, you are never going to be able to offer in-depth coverage on dozens of different sports at the high school, college and pro levels.

Consider the following sales found on namebio:
sportsmarket dot com 65,000 USD 2015
sportsconnection dot com 45,000 USD 2012
sportbekleidung dot de 33,000 USD 2012
sporthub dot com 17,600 USD 2009-07-04
sportsadvisor dot com 17,000 USD 2013-11-06

All of these are really general Sport +keyword domains. TheSport.Blog is longer because of the "the" but I believe still almost as valuable for the reason stated under point 1.

3) .blog is OK for a blog but it will make resale efforts more challenging as blogs are thought of as personal not commercial

A short list of sales of blog+keyword at TLDs other than .com from namebio:
autoblog dot co dot uk 17,625 USD 2011-04-06
blogfeast dot net 4,515 USD 2007-09-28
pokerblog dot de 4,470 USD 2009-10-14

List of sales of some .com blog+keyword domains:
bestmaleblogs dot com 7,100 USD 2011-02-09
travelblogexchange dot com 5,800 USD 2014-02-17

The Sport dot Blog is at least as valuable as these and blogs are definitely marketable.

If you are an avid sports fan and want to learn something about development, consider it a learning experience. I would not have high expectations about resale value.

I am an avid sports fan but I'm in this for the money at the end of the day. The points you made about the work involved do make sense and so I will probably sell it sometime in future. As I said, I have already received 2 offers direct to my WHOIS email address in the mid to high $xxx region and for the reasons put above I still believe it has a higher resale value.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back