Domain Empire

Running a forum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey all,

I am getting ready to take my first crack at running a web forum. You can see the beginnings of it here: http://www.ratemovies.com/forum/

I could sure use your suggestions, advice, warnings, or other benefits of experience as I venture into this. I would also welcome any of you who would be willing to register and help me "prime the pump" so to speak. I don't plan to officially launch for a couple of weeks, but it will be a lot easier if there is already some activity there.

Help!

p.s. that is probably not my final logo...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Im checking it out right now. Seems good!
Good luck with it!

•••
I wish you the best of luck with it. I was just telling Sohil the other day that I wanted to start a forum too, but I thought it would be too much work :lol:

•••
ive always wanted to help with forums, but...

•••
•••
•••
If I ever start a forum I'll let you help me run it, Randy! :D

•••
Very nice FrontRow I will recommend it to a couple of movie buffs I know.

•••
Originally posted by wicked_gal00
If I ever start a forum I'll let you help me run it, Randy! :D

lol your probably the only one

•••
Cool!
Hmmm...tips...just make sure everything stays in line! lol.

•••
Thanks everyone for the comments so far. Dude, if this takes off, I will be interviewing moderators, so there's hope for you yet :)

I would really appreciate it if some of you would register and leave a few posts. No long term commitment or anything, just help me start it out with a little activity, so when I do start directing traffic there, it doesn't look lame.

•••
I run a few of these invision board forums. Once you learn it its not so bad. If you get into technical difficulties let me know.

•••
Best advice I can give you for running a forum:
-Make your own color scheme. Those defaults get irritating/old.
-Keep it clean! Don't allow too much spam/profanity/etc.
-Integrate something into the forums that makes them unique/better than others.

I would be able to help you out a bit, but the only forum I am thoroughly experienced with is vBulletin. Although, I'm sure it wouldn't be 'that' hard to figure out. :]

Best of luck!

•••
thanks everyone - I'm sure I'll take you up on your offers :)

•••
Best of luck!
-Keep us posted with any major updates and/or color-schemes you do/come up with.
:]

•••
I was an admin on a popular forum (2000+ members) and I also ran my own.. but both were XMB.

I would suggest making it original and getting your own theme up (colors/pictures/etc.) also advertise a lot.. keep a few rules so nothing gets out of hand.

•••
I am having trouble find explicit instructions on how to make my own theme. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I am a bit of a dummy at this level, but with good directions I can ususally get by.

•••
•••
I would help but I don't know invision too well.. sorry.

•••
Looks good, FrontRow!

http://www.ratemovies.com/forum

Don't forget a Forum for the "Classics" ... for some of us old geezers! :o
Good Luck with your new venture. :)

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
Don't forget a Forum for the "Classics" ... for some of us old geezers! :o

Maybe he is targeting a younger audience only. :hehe:

•••
Actually, I started out with a forum called "classic movies" and killed it, figuring I could wrap it into the "archive" category for now and maybe break it out in the future if the posts justified it.

I am already intimidated by the scope of this thing, and it ain't even launched yet!

Last edited:
•••
I hope it is successful! Looks awesome!

•••
Thanks Sierra!

Why don't you join & post a few? :)

•••
Originally posted by dude
no one ever lets me

i have a forum ill let you mod! it isnt completely finished yet but....

advice for forums?

1. let people say what they want
2. reread #1

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back