IT.COM

discuss Question: ccTLD value vs. .com 10% at best ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

decode

Established Member
Impact
I remember reading and hearing on domain shows that the ccTLD (.us, .ca, etc.) should be at best
10% of the value of .com

Now I'm looking for some links to send out to explain that to someone.

Do any of you have any info on the value expectation of a .us or .ca vs. the .com.

I'm thinking the common appraisal is at most 10%
Many times it is much less, for example I posted 3L.us and 3N.us and no
one responds. If those were .com it would be a major response.
In the case of those names 1% isn't on the table so really the
.com has a far, far greater advantage.

Any help or reference to other posts would help.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no such rule. A domain name can have value in .com and not in another gTLD or ccTLD. As you said, .us domains are nearly worthless. 10% of $0 is still $0...

•••
•••
Thanks @Kate and @Jurgen Wolf
It was funny to find myself trying to explain to an end user that .com is better than .ccTLD.
The domain industry needs to get more proactive with educating people about domains. ICANN can pay as many execs. 6 figures but what they really need are advocates who go from one business to the next to explain the benefits.
Here we are 20 years plus into sales people using domains and most still don't know the true value.

•••
GermanKeyword.DE has a few times (and up to 1x times) higher value than GermanKeyword.com
The same for Russian.RU vs Russian.com, Polish.PL vs Polish.com etc.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks It was funny to find myself trying to explain to an end user that .com is better than .ccTLD.
Actually it could be the other way around, especially if they are focused on their national market and the local extension is strong. But having both is usually best.

•••
I remember reading and hearing on domain shows that the ccTLD (.us, .ca, etc.) should be at best
10% of the value of .com

Now I'm looking for some links to send out to explain that to someone.

Do any of you have any info on the value expectation of a .us or .ca vs. the .com.

I'm thinking the common appraisal is at most 10%
Many times it is much less, for example I posted 3L.us and 3N.us and no
one responds. If those were .com it would be a major response.
In the case of those names 1% isn't on the table so really the
.com has a far, far greater advantage.

Any help or reference to other posts would help.

Thanks

there is no rule. each extension is different and needs to be valued on an individual basis.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back