IT.COM

registrars NameSilo Adds Dynamic Domain Targeting in Forwarding URLs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LucidDomains

LucidDomains.comTop Member
Impact
@namesilo has everything you could want in a registrar except for one feature.

I have 200 domains in my account and I need to forward each domain to a different page.

I need the ability to set webpage .com/domains/{DOMAIN_NAME}

They have said they will add it to their feature request list, but I'm the only one who has asked for it so far.

If anyone else would like this feature added, please help me by posting here and hopefully they will add it for us.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Isn't that the point of using a web host? There are many free hosts that can do this function, and I believe NameSilo manages DNS for free.

•••
Isn't that the point of using a web host? There are many free hosts that can do this function, and I believe NameSilo manages DNS for free.

Not sure what you mean exactly. Can you give me an example?

NameSilo have advised this can be done via their API, but I could really use this ability within their frontend DNS platform.

Last edited:
•••
excellent suggestion

thread title is a bit misleading though

•••
I wou
@namesilo has everything you could want in a registrar except for one feature.

I have 200 domains in my account and I need to forward each domain to a different page.

I need the ability to set www.webpage.com/domains/{DOMAIN_NAME}

They have said they will add it to their feature request list, but I'm the only one who has asked for it so far.

If anyone else would like this feature added, please help me by posting here and hopefully they will add it for us.

I would use that feature as well

•••
•••
•••
One vote for me too! Please implement this feature

•••
•••
•••
Depending on the kind of hosting you have, this can be done very easily on the server side using redirection.

I don't have hosting with them, nor do I want to move my DNS elsewhere.

I just need simple domain forwarding via DNS which they do offer, however their bulk edit lacks the {DOMAIN_NAME} target ability.

I currently have 200 domains with them, soon to be expanding to 600.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

•••
I don't have hosting with them, nor do I want to move my DNS elsewhere.

I just need simple domain forwarding via DNS which they do offer, however their bulk edit lacks the {DOMAIN_NAME} target ability.

I currently have 200 domains with them, soon to be expanding to 600.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

I didn't mean hosting with THEM. I meant that you might be able to do it now using whatever host you're currently using.

•••
I didn't mean hosting with THEM. I meant that you might be able to do it now using whatever host you're currently using.

Thanks for the workaround @discobull. I rather keep my DNS at NameSilo.

•••
Thanks for the workaround @discobull. I rather keep my DNS at NameSilo.

Okay, but what I'm suggesting doesn't require moving your DNS elsewhere. In any case, it was just a suggestion to save you time, but if you prefer to wait for Namesilo to update their system that's fine too. Cheers. :)

•••
People should always use a third party DNS service (could be your own), and not depend on the registrar's. One reason is reliability and resilience. It also makes domain transfers easier: you don't have to update domain names one by one or in bulk: you just modify the master DNS record.

Then, as Discobull says, what you are trying to achieve could be done at server level.

There are different ways to do it, one example would be setting up wildcard DNS (like the parking companies, their DNS usually serve any domain), and parsing the URL (the REQUEST_URI variable or similar), then you can serve domain-specific content, or do a redirect.

I'm not sure if NS offers ordinary URL redirect service, but if you are looking for something that would automatically use the domain name as a parameter, I would imagine that this type of request is not on top of their list because few people will be using it.

•••
There is a problem with fulfilling every reasonable request : the user interface will soon become bloated and overly complicated.

A better practice is to implement only requests that are necessary or desired by several users.

•••
People should always use a third party DNS service (could be your own), and not depend on the registrar's. One reason is reliability and resilience. It also makes domain transfers easier: you don't have to update domain names one by one or in bulk: you just modify the master DNS record.

I agree with this and would recommend using cloudflare.com for DNS. They're not only one of the fastest DNS providers on the planet but even their free tier has security and other features that blows away anything provided by any registrar. They have forwarding included with their free service ( instructions here: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/e...-URL-forwarding-or-redirects-with-CloudFlare- ) and an api so that those who are comfortable writing scripts can easily add and configure one or a whole list of domains without ever having to log into their accounts.

•••
Guys please, this is a NameSilo feature request support thread, not a discussion of workarounds. Either support us or kindly GTFO. :-/

•••
•••
•••
•••
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am very happy to report that NameSilo has come through on this feature request...This is why NameSilo is the best!

" This functionality is now available. You will see instructions for use on the forwarding page including:

How do I dynamically enter the domain name?
You can enter "%%DOMAIN%%" in the Forwarding Address field. Anywhere "%%DOMAIN%%" appears will be automatically replaced with the domain name(s) you are forwarding.
"

Thank you @namesilo !!

Also big thanks to all who supported this thread. Well done guys!!

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back