IT.COM

discuss Moz DA new update

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

maya-zir

Top Member
Impact
From yesterday Moz DA changed on many sites.
Sites with real traffic got more DA points, the rest lost, some lost more than 70% of thier DA

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes some domains got hit really hard on this update. The Moz 🔨 :inpain:

•••
Doesn't mean anything in the real world. It's a made-up metric, not something Google uses. If similar sites had similar drops in DA, no actual loss, just a recalibration.
(Though if you're selling domains based on DA you may have to wait for market expectations to recalibrate to match.)

•••
Mine are OK, but I
Doesn't mean anything in the real world. It's a made-up metric, not something Google uses. If similar sites had similar drops in DA, no actual loss, just a recalibration.
(Though if you're selling domains based on DA you may have to wait for market expectations to recalibrate to match.)
I sell guest posts on my site, so DA, DR and ahref is what you always asked before you get client.
So, I mentioned it here...

•••
Mine are OK, but I

I sell guest posts on my site, so DA, DR and ahref is what you always asked before you get client.
So, I mentioned it here...

Yup, second part of what I said. It will be a little bit rough to sell anything based on DA until the market expectations adjust to the recalibrated figures.

•••
Of course DA is something Google uses. Domain authority is one of the main metrics for SEO. Yes, it's a made up metric by Moz but it plays a major factor in ranking a domain/site.

•••
But as a domainer not from a guest posting point of view you could argue DA doesn't factor in to its selling point. You would rather have have a brandable domain with a low DA than some random non-brandable with a high DA. Depends on what the use of the domain is really.

•••
Of course DA is something Google uses. Domain authority is one of the main metrics for SEO

It's a link based metric and of course Google uses backlink data. Google does not use DA. Google has their own "secret sauce" of hundreds or more factors that it uses. DA is Moz's guestimate of what Google might possibly be factoring in to their algo when examining a link profile. Relevancy for example is big. Does the revised DA factor in relevancy? The old one didn't.

Last edited:
•••
Of course the old DA and the revised DA factor in relevancy. In most all cases a domain with a higher DA is going to out rank a domain with lower DA. There are many other metrics taken in to account also like PA.

•••
Thank you so much for explaining that to me - :xf.grin:

That's not the case as first of all, rankings are query and content dependent. If it was the case, you'd be able to do a scan of the first page for any given search and see DA in descending order.

You won't.

There is no Google patent that mentions any type of sitewide equivalent of domain authority, and they have said on several occasions that there is no such thing.
https://www.searchenginejournal.com/domain-authority/246515/

I take what they say with a grain of salt, but lack of mention in any of the patents adds credence to that theory.

However strong inbound link equity to a given page on a domain will be spread throughout the site as per internal linking structure.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, there are many factors in a domains ranking, DA just happens to be one of many. Regarding the guys original comment it does mean something to him because he will not get as many people wanting to guestpost on his site since it has a lower DA.

•••
Yeah, there are many factors in a domains ranking, DA just happens to be one of many. Regarding the guys original comment it does mean something to him because he will not get as many people wanting to guestpost on his site since it has a lower DA.
You meant me?
Nope, after update I got +9 point on DA and now it is DA45..it jumped to 45 from 37..my other sites lost 1 poitns each one... nothing special..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back