IT.COM

status-monitor Late elements loading on mobile make NPs a very jarring site to use.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bigbagofbricks

Established Member
Impact
On every page load, there's at least one late element that makes the page scroll down which means I have to wait for a 100% load before doing anything. But I don't know when it's at 100%.

Feels like a min-height in the css for these things in the header would fix the issue as the css loads quickly and would give the page its final dimensions before the js fills those divs.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agreed, it can be a bit jarring. We've opted to load the page faster rather than waiting for everything else to load before displaying it. Some of the elements are loaded using JavaScript (notices, promoted domain auction, etc.) and they don't always appear, so it wouldn't be as simple as adding a fixed height until they load (since sometimes they're not supposed to load).

@Paul Buonopane might have some suggestions/fixes up his sleeve.

•••
Yeah I figure you probably load scripts in the footer? On mobile so can't check. I had the same on one of my sites but the "faster" page load wasn't worth the ill effects because it was only really faster on paper.

Anyways it looks like the domain auction banner is often the last thing to load, it's always the same size and it's on pretty much every page. I'd really consider making its div a set height since you have complete control over it.

Then the other one is the ad but in general, I think it loads more reliably that the domain auction. I guess it's static / cachable whereas the domain auction is a database query so you could leave it as it is.

•••
@Eric Lyon I believe the most problematic elements in this case are the auction widget and the notification banner. Those load late even with synchronous JavaScript. As for the ad, we can give the images a fixed height if they aren't already configured that way.

•••
The ads do not cause this to happen. It's the notices and promoted domain auctions that I mentioned. Both use JavaScript and both do not always appear. @Paul Buonopane can explain it better and might have a solution.

•••
Ok cool.

I'd say having an empty div now and then would be worth it anyways. Or a complete change would be to have the ? Help button fixed on the right side of the banner so there's always something there.

No need for further discussion about it. Good luck!

•••
Update: We've improved this on most pages, but there are still a few that it happens with while they load.

We'll get them all fixed eventually. :)

•••
This is terrible on mobile. I try to click on alerts and then it moves and I end up DN.com (or Uniregistry). I'm not sure if it's late element or just when the page collapses - it seems the last thing to shift is the menu. I basically don't use this site on a phone at all. Not a huge priority but definitely consider multi-platform enhancements. I still think a real simple theme might be nice - similar to what Tapatalk used to provide at NP pre Xenforo.

•••
This is terrible on mobile. I try to click on alerts and then it moves and I end up DN.com (or Uniregistry).
Deja Vu.....just figured it is cause my fingers are too big for my cellphone...this happens more times than I like to admit too...lol

•••
I'm not sure if it's late element or just when the page collapses - it seems the last thing to shift is the menu.
Agreed, that sounds like it might be due to the nav/menu collapsing because there isn't enough space on the screen to fit it all.

You could try the Desktop Version on your mobile phone. Scroll all the way to the bottom left of the page and hit "Desktop Version". Does that help? If you don't like it, scroll to the same place to switch back to the Mobile Version.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back