IT.COM

opinion .IO and .AI names are widely embraced by the latest technology trends.

NameSilo
Watch

Let's decide which top-level domain (TLD) you prefer for your new tech brand

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .COM

votes
    75.3%
  • .NET

votes
    4.3%
  • .CO

votes
    4.8%
  • .IO

votes
    30.1%
  • .AI

votes
    21.0%
  • .XYZ

votes
    9.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Arjun Oli

AntiFiat.comTop Member
Impact
The .ID domain registry has increased the prices for premium names consisting of a single-word and three-letter names. Additionally, the registration fees for.IO domains have significantly dropped after the excessive promotion of .AI domains.

It looks like a lot of new tech companies really like using .IO domains for their websites. In fact, quite a few of them have recently switched over to using .IO domains.

It's like a trend or a preference among these companies. They find the .IO domain cool and appealing, so they choose it for their websites. And not just a few, but quite a number of them have made the switch to using .IO domains recently. It's become quite popular in the tech industry.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
next 2 year many .ai domains will drop

•••
•••
I voted .io, but I think hard to answer in general, as depends on type of startup.

For a startup in some field where high consumer trust is needed, like a loan, mortgage or insurance company, even with a strong new tech focus, I think probably .com might be best, if a suitable name can be found within budget range. I would probably include most eCommerce startups in this category too.

For most tech brands, in early startup stage, probably .io is the default. Still pretty wide selection of names available on aftermarket, and some even hand registration. Feels tech, they see many other startups using .io.

For startups that apply or develop AI, obviously .ai makes sense.

I am surprised .co is not getting a few more votes. Analyses show number of startups using that.

If the startup is web3 tech, or more generally a focus on decentralized, I think .xyz should be considered. It can be used more broadly, but that seems the strong focus.

If the tech startup is decentralized, then I think .org has a lot going for it.

A few others could have been considered in this poll, including .cloud, .tech, .network and a few others.

The focus in a name should, really, be on what the company does for its clients. For some tech startups .me could work, if the match across dot is compelling.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
I mostly prefer creating innovative ai .com brand names, like Magiclai.com.
And to avoid splitting-the-baby, as io (in/out) is the ai generative process, with other regs like ioAiTV.com.

Just as keyword prompts are now producing ai text blurbs for domains, the latest technology trend turns content summary inputs into contextual streaming TV creations... that can fill a namespace!

The Secret Language of Trees (a 2018 book on how trees communicate via soil and air inspired a musician to dedicate an album to it, in 2023. A synchronized ai generated visual stream replaces song music videos.)

Last edited:
•••
Is it implicit in the poll that the .com will be more difficult to secure or be more expensive than the .ai and .io and that is why some choose .ai or .io? Or is the interpretation that a company is given a choice between the same word(s) in a url at the same cost and would still choose .io or .ai? If it is the former interpretation, I would expect there is some calculation of the cost and the additional revenue generated by the .com. The company would select the alternate tlds only if the expected additional revenue does not make up for the cost.

•••
.xyz if blockchain related
.ai: AI.
.io: love it. and would use it for sure if my tech is related to developers' tools. and will probably use it if the website is some SAAS and the name is short. otherwise, I will choose .com
.net: will never use this, and I am surprised it got votes.
.co: will chose io almost anytime over .co unless my website is more content related. because .io is only about utilities.

•••
.COM is for sure number 1, 2 and 3 on my list (Any successful brand will eventually acquire the .COM if they are successful through the "start up phase" - that tells you something about the power of .COM).

IF, I am kicking something off, low on funds I would consider an amazing name in another extension (depending on my line of business).

•••
There is a huge surge in .AI names, tech startups prefer .ai names don't know how long it will last since the renewal is too pricey to invest

•••
There is a huge surge in .AI names, tech startups prefer .ai names don't know how long it will last since the renewal is too pricey to invest
What is the point of a startup not working in AI, acquiring an AI domain?? AI is a trendy field for tech startups, and .AI is the extension that is the highest demand for this industry. That's it. a startup not in AI will not consider an AI domain.

•••
What is the point of a startup not working in AI, acquiring an AI domain?? AI is a trendy field for tech startups, and .AI is the extension that is the highest demand for this industry. That's it. a startup not in AI will not consider an AI domain.

tech startups prefer .ai names

I meant the same most tech startup prefer ai

SAAS web apps getting AI touch

•••
.ai is a hype and it'll die at the end...
but .io is a perfect ext for tech sector and will stay on top.

•••
.com. In fact I'd be hesitant to use any other extension because in case your start-up becomes big you'll have to secure the .com to prevent traffic leaks, and the then current owner would be able to demand one hell of a mark up on it.

•••
.COM is the obvious choice, but once the startup either figures out their premium brand is already in use or for sale at an exorbitant price in .COM, then the old "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven” adage comes into play and they drop down a TLD tier or two hoping to find their core brand for an affordable price.

Any other answer but .COM is incorrect - businesses only choose otherwise because the .COM is either in use or priced out of their current budget.

•••
•••
I know CEO of AI tool, they are using .com

Last edited:
•••
I picked godparticle.ai and godparticles.ai hope it works out well.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Newbie founders: what's available and affordable, may rebrand later based on startup PMF & success

Experienced founders: .com, secure the name before launching the business to public (may use other tlds during internal or with pilot customers)

•••
.com if you can get it, then .co for general startup, .io for tech, .ai for AI. .xyz is getting a bad reputation, hopefully it will get recover soon. I have grabbed a bunch of one word .co and .io

•••
Newbie founders: what's available and affordable, may rebrand later based on startup PMF & success

Experienced founders: .com, secure the name before launching the business to public (may use other tlds during internal or with pilot customers)
Pretty much. The point of a domain is to reach out to as many people as possible, you don't do that on a .ai or .io domain.

•••

Short names matter more than a specific TLD when you have tech savvy users who already access other apps also using .io and .ai

While .com is traditional, .io and .ai have gained prominence for tech apps.

I would go with a short name that has a stronger impact, more memorable and effective even if it’s not a .com

There are still many one word .ai and .io available for just $80 a year which are good brand names if it fits your business.

Attachments

• ai io pop.JPG
    ai io pop.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 99
•••
Brand awareness and recognition are big issues for start-ups. Going with a .COM solves some of the recognition problems. If the target market hasn't heard of .IO, .AI or even .XYZ then a start-up using a domain name in those TLDs will lose traffic to a similar .COM especially in the US market.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I will buy every tld in the above list, then point them all to .com :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back