Dynadot

Interesting Question on Forwarding and SEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have a site (let's call this PrimarySite.com) that is very highly ranked and gets tens of thousands of page views a day. And I don't want to screw it up. Now I want to start a temporary contest which would work best on it's own domain (let's call this ContestSite.com). However, I want to use the contest, which will be affiliated with PrimarySite.com anyway, to benefit PrimarySite.com. So, I was thinking about creating the contest on PrimarySite.com/contest and having ContestSite.com simply forward to PrimarySite.com/contest. This way, when we do radio and TV interviews, we can say go to ContestSite.com. And when they come, the new visitors will then learn about our PrimarySite.com.

Sounds great from a marketing perspective, but I need to understand if this in any way will affect my reputation with Search Engines. Will it set off any Black Hat red flags? Will it diminish the ranking of PrimarySite.com? I don't care about and SEO issues with ContestSite.com.

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i don't see any issues with this. :blink:

•••
I have a site (let's call this PrimarySite.com) that is very highly ranked and gets tens of thousands of page views a day. And I don't want to screw it up. Now I want to start a temporary contest which would work best on it's own domain (let's call this ContestSite.com). However, I want to use the contest, which will be affiliated with PrimarySite.com anyway, to benefit PrimarySite.com. So, I was thinking about creating the contest on PrimarySite.com/contest and having ContestSite.com simply forward to PrimarySite.com/contest. This way, when we do radio and TV interviews, we can say go to ContestSite.com. And when they come, the new visitors will then learn about our PrimarySite.com.

Sounds great from a marketing perspective, but I need to understand if this in any way will affect my reputation with Search Engines. Will it set off any Black Hat red flags? Will it diminish the ranking of PrimarySite.com? I don't care about and SEO issues with ContestSite.com.

Thank you.

I think that there is no black hat technique involved in what you mentioned. This is completely ok thing to do. You should make the section in the already establised site as if you make a new site, then you will have to do all the SEO work it too.

•••
That's a way of marketing strategy. I don't see it offends any search engines rules.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back