IT.COM

discuss How to Price & Sell to Small/Medium business.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

Would like to know you thoughts and experiences about pricing and selling exact match business name domains to small/medium business.

How would you maximise profit without scaring the owners away?

Oswin

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Offer a reasonable price and don't present crap

•••
An EMD is valuable. But it's unlikely that a small business will buy it over $1-2k. But there will always be exceptions. I would price them under $2k and expect to negotiate. This is not my business model. But it is what I would do in your case.

•••
I will describe and define what constitutes a small business regarding most of my names.

To me, I consider a small type business to be a sole proprietor or a couple of hands-on working partners with a very small work crew if any.

I also intermingle terminology as to me someone with a serious hobby is economically on par with my small business market names.

Most of my names for sale would appeal to small niche market businesses or a serious hobbyist.

I have EMDs for such defined small business/serious hobby niche markets in the $1500. - 5000. and most sales conclude around 2500. as defined above.

Also I am " inbound only " as niche EMDs tend to eventually attract their own interested audience.

•••
For 2-3 word niche EMD's, so plenty of other tld's available, low to mid hundreds search volume, good CPC etc. whereby that end user is paying adwords for those exact keywords, I have often found that the sweet spot and a sale 9/10 is around $250-350.

IMO.

•••
What I have been learning thru these experiences is that, small/mid business owners need education first about getting their business online and how a good domain would give them a boost to their online presence. How even a small amount of daily traffic 5-10 clicks could easily been converted into sales.

We need to check how the business operates and where most of their revenue comes from, brick n mortar office or thru online sales.

I've realised after all the work put in and trying to sell the domains thru outbound calls is not worth the time for selling less that 4k-5k. Or have a buy now price for 1k -1,2 k and let them sell at their own sweet time.

•••
What I have been learning thru these experiences is that, small/mid business owners need education first about getting their business online and how a good domain would give them a boost to their online presence. How even a small amount of daily traffic 5-10 clicks could easily been converted into sales.

We need to check how the business operates and where most of their revenue comes from, brick n mortar office or thru online sales.

I've realised after all the work put in and trying to sell the domains thru outbound calls is not worth the time for selling less that 4k-5k. Or have a buy now price for 1k -1,2 k and let them sell at their own sweet time.

Can you give a couple examples of the quality of the EMD's you are referring to ? There are reg fee EMD's that can't sell in the 4-digits ...

•••
I'm coming to the conclusion that pricing these names depends on the business owners mates at the golf club. I spoke to one guy who boasted that he had bought a name for "only" £2,500, and yet another guy said that someone had tried to sell him a name for £250, and he didn't think domain names were worth that much. His email addy is @btinternet, and I reckon that will keep him small. Another guy was using a uk.com name, and he didn't understand when I told him that is a sub-domain, and not a domain name.

•••
business owners mates at the golf club..

If they can get a golf club membership, they might as well pay for a good domain name. :)

•••
If they can get a golf club membership, they might as well pay for a good domain name. :)

You wouldn't believe how many Bentleys, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLarens and high end BMWs go through our local McDonalds drivethrough. :)

•••
For lower-end names in $250 - $350 range, I've found I get a better response by stating "We're asking $500" rather than quoting a firm $250 - $350 outright.

The word 'asking' signals you're open to negotiation so you don't have to worry about scaring them off, if anything it makes you look less desperate/eager to sell, people like that and perceive it as having more value.

But, that's just my experience, I know a lot of people do it the other way with good results.

•••
I always use the word "Asking" and finish with " if you have an offer do let us know " They wouldn't understand that .

I always get a answer WHAT!!!. No Way.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back