NameSilo

news GoDaddy paid $40-$65 Million for Elite Domains portfolio

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
If I had to guess, I would say the Elite Domains portfolio purchase price was higher than Berkens Worldwide Media portfolio, with the potential of being nearly $40-$65 Million. To get this number, I factored $500/domain ($55 Million) + $10 Million just for the 2 letter .com’s. The per domain could be a little lower than Berkens, because IMO, his portfolio contained less junk.
So this portfolio purchase by GoDaddy is very likely the highest amount it has paid to date! The domains may still be transferring in, so I will continue to monitor...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Godaddy definitely has a strong and solid future plans with domain names. Otherwise, it wouldnt buy all of them! MASSIVE MASSIVE portfolio now godaddy owns!

•••
The same thing will happen with LLLL.com. They will eventually be held in huge portfolios.

Godaddy can see what everyone is buying and that gives them the upper hand on what portfolios they should buy.

•••
I hope no conflict of interest will occur.

•••
GoDaddy is in the best position to know what domains sells and at what price. They clearly see value in these large portfolios and are very aggressive in buying now they can see the return on earlier portfolio purchases.
Once held by GoDaddy they we only sell at retail level, they are off the market at wholesale prices. If they start to purchase any genre such as LLLL.coms or a new gTLD portfolio, it is a big vote of confidence.

•••
There has to be alot of LLLL.coms in those portfolios. Do you know if there are posted listed of the exact domains that were in the portfolios? That would be very helpful.

•••
Godaddy definitely has a strong and solid future plans with domain names. Otherwise, it wouldnt buy all of them! MASSIVE MASSIVE portfolio now godaddy owns!
what plans that could be ?
maybe they create a marketplace for only high value domains !

•••

Maybe they will compete to operate and own the .com registry since they have already shown so much sincerity in both as a domain service provider and portfolio of massive domain names collection! Just a thought!

•••

Instead of just being a registrar, they are becoming a domainer!

All the registries and registrars are becoming domainers. They are not stupid and want in on the action from all sides and angles. They want to cut us out of the picture.

That's ok if they help bring value to the market and certain sectors like LLLL.com
It sucks if they start doing things that work against us.

•••
That's nice!

I sure hope they spend MORE time on fine-tuning their auction place policies. It sucks when you spend time, money and due diligence on purchasing a name on GD auction but due to their rules and policies domainers are allowed to pull a name off auction.... no matter the bid.... no matter what time is left.

Starting to dislike Go Daddy by the minute.... But good for them

•••
Look like Godaddy is using public money to acquire all this new portfolios, has any one seen their balance sheet and last week's news as they are selling huge amount of class A stock to public at market price, that seem to me initial investor will loose decision control and board will decide how to use public money to acquire asset from market, If this stuff will continue godaddy will be largest public company and may be try to own as much as inventory as possible which give impression to stock analyst as they are sitting with big asset and stock will keep rising, which is good for small domainer as public will start realizing domain is a good investment asset like gold but bad to compete with godaddy to sale our own inventory, what you guys think?

•••
What if GD starts bidding on their own auctions or just withhold the expired domains for their portfolio ?

•••
What if GD starts bidding on their own auctions or just withhold the expired domains for their portfolio ?
Godaddy will expire if they start doing this, Its all about demand and supply

•••
•••
I love Cartel and oligopoly. hehehe

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back