Domain Empire

GoDaddy and closeout

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello to all.

Just an easy question.

All the godaddy expired auctions if they have no bids when the time is over automatically goes to closeout auction?

I think no as I've found some domains that after the auction with no bidders simply are not more available @ godaddy but I've never understood how is possible to understand which one goes to closeout and which one finish with the auction.

Any other with my similar thought?

Regards

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There can be several reasons.

1. Domain is sold @ closeout before you look in closeout section and auction end time.
2. Domain is redeemed or transferred.

•••
Yes, Blade is right, but most likely reason #1, I do that quite a bit.

It's not the dollar savings that I care about, but the fact that I had to constantly go up against those who just monitor the auctions and specifically go after names that already have bids.

But if I REALLY want a name, I'll throw in the bid and be ready to challenge for it should anyone else come in the last 5 mins. You never know who else has their eye on it too.

•••
My opinion is that it really depends on the name. For more valuable names GoDaddy will keep the auction mode still in place; for less valuable ones GD will put a BIN price.
That's what I have noticed

•••
There can be several reasons.

1. Domain is sold @ closeout before you look in closeout section and auction end time.
2. Domain is redeemed or transferred.

and

#3 - if you are looking right after an auction closes there is often a delay before it switches over to closeouts. Sometimes you'll need to keep refreshing for a few minutes before it shows up in closeouts.

•••
My opinion is that it really depends on the name. For more valuable names GoDaddy will keep the auction mode still in place; for less valuable ones GD will put a BIN price.
That's what I have noticed

Agree with u

•••
So even without a bid, how do they determine the more "valuable" domains to hold back from closeout and keep in auction status? Traffic?

•••
So even without a bid, how do they determine the more "valuable" domains to hold back from closeout and keep in auction status? Traffic?

I assume they determine it the same way we do don't you think?
If a LLL.com expires would you put it on a buy it now for 10$? I DON'T THINK SO!
They work with domains all the time so I guess thy know what's valuable or what is sellable and what is not...

•••
The lifecycle of a GD domain is on the 26th day after expiration the domain will be listed in a 10 day Expired Auction (bidding). If it is not sold in the expired auction then on day 36 it will be placed in a 5 day closeout auction (low BIN).

Reasons why you would not see the transition from Expired Auction to Closeout would be what BladeMaster mentioned above.

Anytime throughout the domains auction, the current registrant can redeem the domain. But if you do buy the domain, they no longer can redeem.

Hope that helped.

•••
Does it cost money to sell a domain at the godaddy auctions, or even to purchase.

Last I remember there was a membership fee?

•••
Yes there is a membership (I remember there being a discount code somewhere in the GoDaddy coupon thread). No membership fee required to buy closeout domains though.

•••
They work with domains all the time so I guess thy know what's valuable or what is sellable and what is not...

Definitely as I've noticed some odd things in auctions. Like after expiration a domain immediately gets set a ridiculously high BIN price.

•••
godaddy auction has its own system, the reason number is the common reason to close out the deal.

•••
#3 reason is somebody has placed a backorder on the domain whilst it was in normal auction. The domain is awarded to the backorderer before it goes to closeout auction.

•••
Stub, whenever I've placed a backorder while the domain was still in normal action, it has automatically placed a public bid @ $10 for all to see.

•••
I'll try backordering an expired name with 0 bids right now at the 10 day auction...

Results... it put in a bid at $10 for all to see. Stub, please teach me how to pull off that move. You've mentioned it before. I encourage everyone to try this and see how it works for them.

•••
To the OP, I agree with Blademaster. Next time put a "watch" on the name and if it says closed at $11 it means someone bought it.

•••
They must have changed this then. But it was always like that before. Was this a bid for a $12 expiring domain? Why did it only put a $10 bid on the domain?

•••
At auction you see two types of opening bids, $10 and $12. All the ones you see at $10 means someone put a backorder on it. Even though it showed a price of $12 with 0 bids before my bid, after I apply a backorder it puts in an autobid at $10. Below, you can see the email I received from GoDaddy.

The domain name(s) you have backordered is now listed for auction at auctions.godaddy.com®:

thedomainibackordered.COM
Because you had an existing backorder on the domain(s), we have made the opening bid of $10.00 on your behalf. If the domain name sells for the opening bid price, you will receive the domain name plus a 1-year registration.

If the domain name receives a bid from another bidder, you will be notified via email that you have been outbid. You can then choose to place a bid on the domain name or apply your backorder to another name. Any bid amount exceeding $10.00 will be an additional charge (you still receive the 1-year renewal, included in your backorder fee).

If you are outbid for the domain, you will be allowed to apply your backorder credit to another domain.​

•••
At auction you see two types of opening bids, $10 and $12. All the ones you see at $10 means someone put a backorder on it. Even though it showed a price of $12 with 0 bids before my bid, after I apply a backorder it puts in an autobid at $10. Below, you can see the email I received from GoDaddy.

The domain name(s) you have backordered is now listed for auction at auctions.godaddy.com®:

thedomainibackordered.COM
Because you had an existing backorder on the domain(s), we have made the opening bid of $10.00 on your behalf. If the domain name sells for the opening bid price, you will receive the domain name plus a 1-year registration.

If the domain name receives a bid from another bidder, you will be notified via email that you have been outbid. You can then choose to place a bid on the domain name or apply your backorder to another name. Any bid amount exceeding $10.00 will be an additional charge (you still receive the 1-year renewal, included in your backorder fee).

If you are outbid for the domain, you will be allowed to apply your backorder credit to another domain.​

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back