From King to Emperor

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.com is the King of the internet

here is why it is more than that

type any word in the address bar and then ... ctrl+enter

ctrl+enter is a browser shortcut that adds ".com" and hits <enter>

check out how convenient it is ...

the .net and .org shortcuts does not seem to work ... and I don't think any of the new gtlds will get a shortcut as good as this

why do 1qaz.com and mko0.com seem more valuable right now ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Nice find, it brings you straight to the website without pressing enter a second time. I've thought about getting a browser addon that pastes .com after text entered in address field, I like the shortcut better.
My kindle has the .com paste shortcut, but doesn't bring you straight to the website.

•••
Nice find, it brings you straight to the website without pressing enter a second time. I've thought about getting a browser addon that pastes .com after text entered in address field, I like the shortcut better.
My kindle has the .com paste shortcut, but doesn't bring you straight to the website.

yeah ... it "hits" <enter> too ... straight to the site

yeah I also like how awesome+usable the shortcut is ... that's why I am saying it is an asset for .coms ... it is very near the <enter>button , very confortable for a thump-index-finger pinch

I think shift+enter is rather cool too , but does not seem to function , but it could influence the prestige/functionality of .net

have you tried finger painting typing ? :D ... use your right index finger to type 1qaz , mko0 or even rtyui and then ctrl+enter ... going to a site is like "painting" with your finger on the keyboard lol

•••
LOL - and so wrong

Listen & learn:

SHIFT + ENTER = .net

SHIFT + CTRL + ENTER = .org

.com is the King of the internet

here is why it is more than that

type any word in the address bar and then ... ctrl+enter

ctrl+enter is a browser shortcut that adds ".com" and hits <enter>

check out how convenient it is ...

the .net and .org shortcuts does not seem to work ... and I don't think any of the new gtlds will get a shortcut as good as this

why do 1qaz.com and mko0.com seem more valuable right now ?

•••
I have been using these shortcuts for a really long time... almost a decade.

I noticed a while back how worn out my "ctrl" button is. And all that it indicates is how many sites I visit that use .COM ... sooo many! Power to the Almighty!

It's the easiest, just type the name in the browser, and then followed by the shortcut.

But for Google chrome, the only one that works is CTRL + ENTER = .COM. I don't use chrome, so it doesn't bother me.

The reason why people don't practice this, or never heard about it, is because they are using stuff like auto-complete in their browser, etc

•••

LOL - and so wrong

Listen & learn:

SHIFT + ENTER = .net

SHIFT + CTRL + ENTER = .org

lol ... I don't suppose those shortcuts were also right underneath ctrl+enter in the wikipedia link in the first post ?

I know they exist ... but , for example , they don't work on my chrome (dunno why)

so I gather that maybe modern browsers only use the ctrl+enter one

besides , I did mention about .net and that I like shift+enter ... 2 different "2-finger-pinches"

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

3D yeah ... and also the ctrl+scrollup trick to magnify a browser :tu:

•••
3D yeah ... and also the ctrl+scrollup trick to magnify a browser :tu:

You could do it that way, or just: "CTRL" and press "+" to increase magnification.

Use "CTRL" and press "-" to reduce the size of the page/image etc that you are viewing.

•••

You could do it that way, or just: "CTRL" and press "+" to increase magnification.

Use "CTRL" and press "-" to reduce the size of the page/image etc that you are viewing.

yeah , I know those too :tu:

do you know "barrel roll" ? ... not a shortcut , but cool trick

type "do a barrel roll" in google

•••
WOW I did not know this. Very cool :)

•••
Not sure how many Kindle users are here but on my KindleFire HD there is a .com button on the digital keyboard so all I have to type is Namepros and hit the .com button. There are no button's for any other extensions that I'm aware of.

More reason to have confidence in .com

•••

the fact that it appends ".com" in the suggestions in the omnibox or other address-boxes also supports .com

.com is basically synonymous to internet ... or online

lol a clip from FatBoy Slim that says ".com" ... but I think the reference is about slashdot or something

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0priq_-124"]Fatboy Slim - Slash Dot Dash - YouTube[/ame]

•••
maybe it's because I'm using Firefox..but doing this kind of thing would simply take me to a google search for whatever I typed in.

•••

if there are suggestions added to the right of the word (in chrome they are in blue background) it can go to those instead

try putting a word without suggestions (or after deleting the suggestions)

it could also be because of the browser version

Last edited:
•••
when people start threads in the year 2013 to declare .com is king.... i dont know, it would be like me going around telling people "hey youtube is the most popular video sharing site on the internet"

i wonder if the same people say "hey, the sun came up today" with a shocked look on their face :lol:

•••

I did not declare .com as king

I just posted something very useful I found ... which also professes .com's superiority against other tlds (especially cctlds and newtlds)

•••
There are quite a few countries where the local extension is dominant... and .com is not the 'king'.
In America it's different ;)

Behavior varies from one browser to another, many times Enter will just result in a google search (especially when there is more than one word).

•••

I know what you mean ... for example .de and .co.uk

but I was talking in general ... and on the global level

with 107,617,731 domains .com dwarfs all other tlds

also it is known by the most people ... many might know their own cctld inside their country but not many would know it outside of it ... while (basically) everyone online knows .com

anyways ... what "king" ? ... it does not rule anything ... it is just an expression , that it is the best tld

what I meant in the OP was that having such an easy/useful shortcut is an asset for an extension , ANY extension ... newtlds would pay good bucks for a shortcut like this

linguistically , .net is better ... for local use some cctlds are better ...

but ... what does .com have that makes it superior at this point in history ?

credibility ... recognizability ... and familiarity

... on the global level (which is also where the newtlds will try to compete)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back