IT.COM

.tv Dot TV is The Country Code of Tuvalu

NameSilo
Watch

HeyNow

MemberRestricted (85-100%)
Impact
Just remember that, according to ICANN, .tv stands for .Tuvalu, and not "television." The mods here think they are doing y'all (and perhaps themselves) a favor by deleting posts reminding you of that fact, but that's really no favor. Eventually ICANN's roster of ccTLDs will be taught in public schools (it's probably already begun), and when it is, the pretend meaning of "television" will eventually vaporize, leaving late speculators holding many reg-fee only domains.

Also, the last time I checked the government of Tuvalu only leased the rights to Verisign for about $4million per year, so at some point the marketing ploy of "television" may be revealed for exactly what it is - a marketing ploy.

And of course if Tuvalu becomes an important country because of geopolitical dynamics, war, natural disaster, or one of many reasons, it will most likely want its ccTLD back for serious use as was intended.

Currently most participants here who dabble with .tv turn a blind eye to what I consider a certain eventuality. And until that eventuality hits, lots of coin will be made trading in this ccTLD with vapor-marketing meaning.
Does the ccTLD .ws (dot "website") ring a bell? It should.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not saying they do not exist, just wishing to some advertised to the critical mass ……. us

•••
I would suggest that we make this thread a sticky post so that forum members don't have to be reminded of this in every other thread in the subforum. I received an offer this week on a .TV domain from a Mexican company so obviously they could care less.

•••
I went to the Melbourne Museum and amongst the artefacts was a canoe listed as 'from Tuvalu' .. strangely it was not internet connected ??

•••
•••
•••
Hilarious, i checked my watched threads and the latest post is from 'Ignored Member' Guess i dodged a Bs Bullet

•••
I received an offer this week on a .TV domain from a Mexican company so obviously they could care less.

Stop kidding yourself. That Mexican company only wanted a .tv domain because they're setting up a branch in Tuvalu!

;)

•••
Stop kidding yourself. That Mexican company only wanted a .tv domain because they're setting up a branch in Tuvalu!

;)

I agree with you.

•••
Last week I received another low $XXX offer on a Spanish .TV from a Hispanic website developer . I'll admit that with hundreds of new TLDs being launched this year and SEDO reporting a median sales price in the first half of $600 (half .COM and .TV not even on their radar), one cannot expect five figures on a typical .TV.

Today I received an HOLA on the offer page of another Spanish .TV but the offer was $0 :)

•••
i love .tv , i dont know what the future holds for it, but the pacific island nation sure hit the cctld lottery with this extension . i'm looking at the extension for a few projects i'm thinking about . right now i'm doing some research on the idea's & seeing if the domain names i'm looking at are even available and / or sale for at an affordable pricetag .

Last edited:
•••
•••
I came across this YouTube video that talks about it, and it was really a surprise to me cuz I always thought .tv stands for television!

•••
I came across this YouTube video that talks about it, and it was really a surprise to me cuz I always thought .tv stands for television!

This is often a shock, and a nice shock, to people. The good people of Tuvalu long ago handed over the extension to the world of TV and are mostly happy that they get paid good money for having done so.

You can be sure that TWITCH.tv or PANDA.tv or STV.tv or DKN.tv or the thousands of others that use .tv are not based in Tuvalu

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back