IT.COM

discuss Domaining is dead! Drop your loots and go farm potatoes!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CLAYjenny

Established Member
Impact
Drops Mic!

Attachments

• images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 67
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you're trolling, I'd give the effort a 6/10 rating... not awful, but needs some work.

If you're being serious, I'd be curious to hear your argument(s).

•••
If you're trolling, I'd give the effort a 6/10 rating... not awful, but needs some work.

If you're being serious, I'd be curious to hear your argument(s).
That's the reality bruv!
How many sales have you had this year? How much spent on renewals and what's your portfolio to begin with?

•••
Why are you here? Go to the farm.

•••
That's the reality bruv!
How many sales have you had this year? How much spent on renewals and what's your portfolio to begin with?

Even if the answer would be 0 across the board, it would only mean domaining is dead for me, not dead generally speaking.

Fundamentally, why do you believe it's dead? Higher interest rates and the effects thereof, too much competition on the drops, maybe something else?

Not judging by the way, just curious what the arguments are.

PS: ironically, we will be moving to a farm late this spring or by early summer, but mostly to live a healthier life and for hobby-related reasons. Would not bet on my success as a farmer, potato farmer or otherwise!

Last edited:
•••
I'm currently in the negotiation process of a sale, and I've been receiving a surprising amount of offers throughout the year so far.

•••
Even if the answer would be 0 across the board, it would only mean domaining is dead for me, not dead generally speaking.

Fundamentally, why do you believe it's dead? Higher interest rates and the effects thereof, too much competition on the drops, maybe something else?

Not judging by the way, just curious what the arguments are.

PS: ironically, we will be moving to a farm late this spring or by early summer, but mostly to live a healthier life and for hobby-related reasons. Would not bet on my success as a farmer, potato farmer or otherwise!
It is dead in the real sense of death. 😎
No longer lucrative as before.

Last edited:
•••
LOL. I received a Congratulations email from Afternic earlier today. My very first 5-figure sale.

•••
So how long have you been involved in buying/selling domains.
If you have 10 or 20 years experience you may well have a history worthy of examination and correction. All our portfolios can weaken over time if your not maintaining quality. However, it sounds like you've dipped your toe into domains only for that toe to drop off through frost-bite. Dead in the water Domains from the start. Same would have happened to you 10 or 20 years ago

Last edited:
•••
•••
If that's your mic drop your domains may need work.

Naming often needs revisiting depending on your investing style.

•••
Lots of value here. Thanks for sharing

•••
Seem to get one of these threads once a month.

•••
Once a week. I will start one next monday. Who wants to do mon april1
Haha joking

•••
Last edited:
•••
Yeah, it just boils down to personal incredulity.

Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

Brad

•••
Domaining isn't dead but the names you're trying to sell probably are. :xf.smile: I'm working on closing a deal for 3.5k on a name I bought for 250 bucks. If you don't possess the skills to purchase names people want, then you're going to inevitably struggle to make it in domaining.

•••
Yeah, it just boils down to personal incredulity.

Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

Brad
If it wasn't working for me my initial thought would be "what am I doing wrong?" as opposed to "this business is dead".

•••
•••
Do not forget that the domain name is sold to the end user just once...

•••
Why do we have too many nonsense threads lately?

•••
Why do we have too many nonsense threads lately?
Probably due to the number of new and inexperienced members. Mind you we've also got our fill of repeat-offenders. I like to think I've got a level of tolerance based on my own early days in 1999. It's when someone wants to argue the toss based on nonsense, that I call a nonsense thread.

Don't forget a lot of this questionable stuff is similar to debate that goes on in a pub or bar between 10pm and midnight. Can you imagine a bar for domainers, new and old ;) Thankfully nobody remembers it tomorrow.

Last edited:
•••
I covered my renewals for the year in late Feb with 3 sales to date.

Anything else the rest of the year is profit / portfolio growing.

I think I'll do OK :)

•••
•••

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-26-11-22-07-209_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-26-11-22-07-209_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 65
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back