Domain Empire

discuss Blockchain Domains | New market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yuveer

Established Member
Impact
I've been seeing a lot about blockchain domains from the likes of Unstoppable Domains.

It's a very interesting idea where the user can utilise their domain as a sort of wallet forwarding address. Domains purchased are a one-off fee and require no renewals.

From what I gather the process works something like this:
  1. User purchases a "blockchain domain" such as johnsmith.crypto
  2. The user can then link their wallet address for various cryptos to their domain
  3. Now, whenever someone wants to send them ETH, BTC or most other cryptos, instead of typing their long string of characters that make up their wallet address, they can send it to johnsmith.crypto
  4. The funds then get forwarded to the address the user linked with their domain
I'm not entirely sure how it works, hence my post, but thought it could make an interesting discussion.

What does everyone make of the new market and do they think it will take off?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've been seeing a lot about blockchain domains from the likes of Unstoppable Domains.

It's a very interesting idea where the user can utilise their domain as a sort of wallet forwarding address. Domains purchased are a one-off fee and require no renewals.

2. The user can then link their wallet address for various cryptos to their domain
  3. Now, whenever someone wants to send them ETH, BTC or most other cryptos, instead of typing their long string of characters that make up their wallet address, they can send it to johnsmith.crypto
  4. The funds then get forwarded to the address the user linked with their domain
I'm not entirely sure how it works, hence my post, but thought it could make an interesting discussion.

If Crypto takes off, easier to move .com to the blockchain somehow with icann supervision.

You dont want wild wild west in domains.

•••
This is a very good point.

I personally think it's just a matter of time before crypto becomes mainstream. I'm thinking more of the practical projects out there.

What I hadn't considered is the possibility of standard TLDs being integrated with the blockchain which I imagine would be possible

•••
Interesting concept, but they are different protocols. It's either on the chain or it isn't. Interpolation of the systems would be a hybrid of sorts perhaps.. like an electric vehicle that also takes gas. The two can't mix, but the vehicle can utilize both of them.

Re. the blockchain market with DN, totally on board because why the heck not?? Barely made a dent in my funds for some fantastic investments. Handshake, .crypto these people looking beyond and why shouldn't we?

•••
that boat has already passed imo. the two main projects (ENS .eth & handshake) have gained huge traction & been cornered for a while.

Last edited:
•••
Huge risks and no threat to .com imo.

Easier to move legacy on chain one day

•••
Re. the blockchain market with DN, totally on board because why the heck not?? Barely made a dent in my funds for some fantastic investments. Handshake, .crypto these people looking beyond and why shouldn't we?

I completely agree with this. My perspective is that as long as you invest an amount you're willing to lose (worst case scenario) it's always wise to look for new opportunities and rising trends

•••
Easier to move legacy on chain one day

yep that's already happening - ENS supports some NGTLD's like .xyz now and in the next 2 months you'll be able to use your .com, .org etc. the same way people use .eth

which will pretty much end all these new companies popping up with a random new extension

always long .com

Last edited:
•••
•••

From a Domainers perspective the ENS team are actively discouraging people from buying and selling .eth domains as speculative assets. They are pushing utility right now which is totally understandable.

I currently hold one of the Top10 .eth domains (Stablecoins.eth) at Opensea.io and have had very little interest so far.

I’ve renewed it for 10 years so happy to wait and see what happens. I personally think it’s going to be massive eventually.

•••
I personally think it’s going to be massive eventually.

everyone from Jay Z to Gary Vee, Mark Cuban, Elon Musk & thousands more have secured an ENS .eth domain. it's pretty wild how nearly all domainers missed the boat on it

they are trying to get more real users instead of people squatting on celebrity names etc. which is actually good for domain investors, because a thriving ecosystem where people can get their own names will massively increase the value of generic words like Stablecoins

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 11.58.07.png

Last edited:
•••

Let's not forget, no business owns their .com, it can be taken down by higher powers at any time, for any reason. ICANN transposing .com onto the chain is problematic, as they would lose control over the domain (someone has to own it) and also access to renewal fees. Or they could rent out the .com domains on the chain to retain control over it, and the rents would substitute for lost revenue on renewal fees. Plus, there's a crypto revolution coming, so .crypto will most likely dominate in this sphere. What would you rather do - Own your own domain (.crypto) or keep paying renewal fees for a domain you don't have any control over (.com)?

•••
Let's not forget, no business owns their .com, it can be taken down by higher powers at any time, for any reason. ICANN transposing .com onto the chain is problematic, as they would lose control over the domain (someone has to own it) and also access to renewal fees. Or they could rent out the .com domains on the chain to retain control over it, and the rents would substitute for lost revenue on renewal fees. Plus, there's a crypto revolution coming, so .crypto will most likely dominate in this sphere. What would you rather do - Own your own domain (.crypto) or keep paying renewal fees for a domain you don't have any control over (.com)?

I have secured the .eth .crypto domains for all my valuable .com domains.

To not do so for your brand would be insane!

•••
I have secured the .eth .crypto domains for all my valuable .com domains.

To not do so for your brand would be insane!

Absolutely agree.

•••
everyone from Jay Z to Gary Vee, Mark Cuban, Elon Musk & thousands more have secured an ENS .eth domain. it's pretty wild how nearly all domainers missed the boat on it

they are trying to get more real users instead of people squatting on celebrity names etc. which is actually good for domain investors, because a thriving ecosystem where people can get their own names will massively increase the value of generic words like Stablecoins

Show attachment 194108

What are these known ".eth" domains that they've got? The CEO of Tesla has a ".eth" ...really?

•••
What are these known ".eth" domains that they've got? The CEO of Tesla has a ".eth" ...really?

i posted a screenshot of Jay Z (his cryptopunk & hov.eth) above

•••
With UD domains I like the fact There are other possible use cases than payments.. and that they are truly owned by the person who buys them...

•••
With UD domains I like the fact There are other possible use cases than payments.. and that they are truly owned by the person who buys them...

Yes, the utility of blockchain domains is only going to grow over time - and much faster than people realise. Massive potential here, and the front-ends will be so easy and slick to operate. With the domain owner in full control.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back