IT.COM

advice A Domain Name Could be Too Generic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I exclusively buy domain names that I deem generic / descriptive. These are common words or phrases that are meaningful to people who use them and the customers that visit their websites. One downside for prospective buyers of descriptive keyword domain names is that they may be too generic.
I was in a negotiation with a buyer’s agent during the past week or so, and the prospective buyer opted to not buy my one word .com domain name. The buyer’s agent told me the reason the company passed was its lawyers advised them that the company would have a very difficult time registering the trademark they would need because of the broad usage of the keyword in the market. Essentially, there were so many other companies using this keyword in their businesses, that the prospective buyer might not be able to get trademark protection...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They need to change their lawyers. It's customers and traffic you want, not a fancy brand that costs you millions to promote. Anyway you can always have the traffic and the brand by registering a second name. Lots of large organisations own the generic .com. For example B&Q owns diy.com - what chance have they got of getting a trademark on DIY for home improvement sales. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back