NameSilo

.tv 6 months on and high priced auction acquisitions lie dormant and seemingly for sale.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
$100,999 Business.TV
$41,000 Learn.TV
$32,000 Christmas.TV
$31,000 Home.TV
$29,500 Guide.TV
$25,500 Job.TV
$20,500 Jobs.TV

The domain you have tried to access does not hold any Live-projects.

The owner of this domain is delighted about your possible interest. Please feel free to contact us for possible domain acquisition, cooperation activities or joined venture projects.

I'm guessing they are probably realising they've thrown some money away going overboard with all these names and the admission of "no live projects" is frank.

With business.com reported shutting down today after being acquired for $300million I'm not sure things are looking great for business.tv.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
$100,999 Business.TV
$41,000 Learn.TV
$32,000 Christmas.TV
$31,000 Home.TV
$29,500 Guide.TV
$25,500 Job.TV
$20,500 Jobs.TV

I'm guessing they are probably realising they've thrown some money away going overboard with all these names and the admission of "no live projects" is frank.

With business.com reported shutting down today after being acquired for $300million I'm not sure things are looking great for business.tv.

If someone purchased a name as an investment and chooses not to develop it then why would you have a problem with that? He may decide to hold onto it for 5 years before selling it or deciding to develop it while at the same time keeping an ear open to potential joint ventures.

I have names that I've been holding onto for 5-6 years as well.

And if someone purchased a name and is working on development then 6 months is not a long time at all. Sometimes it can take a few years before launching.

There are also thousands of keyword .com names that are parked pages and have been so for years.

Trying to understand the point of your post.

•••
$100,999 Business.TV
$41,000 Learn.TV
$32,000 Christmas.TV
$31,000 Home.TV
$29,500 Guide.TV
$25,500 Job.TV
$20,500 Jobs.TV

I'm guessing that they don't have any live projects. I'm also guessing that my guess is based on less speculation than yours.

Business.com shutting down? Surely this must mean the end of all business.....worldwide!

A miss is as good as a mile? Useless analogy?

BTW: They are still keeping the domain, the brand, the traffic...

•••
1) In a statement, Dex One says the “Business.com operations are no longer viable and are not a part of our long-term plans” and it will instead focus on its other online operations, which include DexKnows.com.”

2) Business.com is just another large site based around the ppc model. With adwords getting tougher with sites which basically provide no real value to their “users”, it’s tough to purchase traffic elsewhere. (quote - Adil @TheDomains)

3) The site needs a major makeover anyways.

4) I don't see how the downfall of a .com applies to the equivalent .TV ;)

•••
I really can't understand the meaning of post like this.
This "should" be a business. Not a religion.
.tv for years has been highly penalized by the Premium Renewal structure. After March 18th we started to see regular X.XXX and XX.XXX sale.
I make an example. Actually I think .co is crap (except for spanish words) and I haven't invested in it a penny. If tomorrow, for any reason, .co will start to gain popularity, end users will start to use it etc. etc. and I'll see business opportunity to be taken I'll simply do it.
Sometimes it seems to me that someone see the extensions like their favourite sport team or political party.
It's business, nothing more, nothing less.

•••
Nice point Donnied.

To start a post like this when we are seeing daily and weekly $xx,xxx sales seems strange.

•••
"lie dormant and seemingly for sale"...

It's interesting how you've used the word
"seemingly" to try and justify your negative
point and posting, but in reality these domain
names are not being offered for sale.

.tv is a great extension, so is .com. This is
nothing more than "flamebait".

Regards,

•••
Snoop I really cant understand the purpose of your post, do you want to bash .tv or maybe create some noise with .tv domainers attacking you, do you just seek attention?
What are your expectations from this post?

I certainly do not like .tv for any other reason than money, if I feel that something else can fetch me more money with less capital invested then I m going to like it as much or more as I like .tv.

You seem to vice with .tv's, the more you post the more it shows.

Last edited:
•••

Maybe you could test your post and reasoning against other domain extensions first to see if it makes sense?

As far as I'm concerned, the above also applies to .COM domains -- if not more so as there are far more of them not developed.

- Vincent

•••
Business.com - great domain but an example of how a domain doesn't guarantee a business' success particularly if you overspend on the domain acquisition. I would argue it makes sense to spend 3-5 times as much for a .COM as the equivalent .Net and perhaps ten times as much for a .COM as the equivalent .TV. I don't believe one should pay 100 times as much for a .COM as the equivalent .TV. I sold a short brandable .COM (zero search volume) earlier this year for $3K but no doubt the buyer has invested far more than that in development costs. I have seen restaurants on Fort Lauderdale Beach which have closed. Great view but if the food & service don't provide good value, diners can easily visit a nearby restaurant with a view of the bay.

•••
...nothing more than "flamebait".

?

Balderdash!

Don Quixote is justified with his compendium of irrefutable 20th century knowledge and minutiae to enlighten us of the errors of our ways and drive us back to a once upon a time when sales of xxxx and xxxxx of .tv names were indeed unheard of.

His intentions are honorable as his only thought is to save us from the ravages of this forlorn and decrepid extension!

For that, my dear and lonely crusader, you have our undying gratitude and respect.

Now, let's look for another good sale...I know it's around here somewhere!

•••
?

Balderdash!

Now, let's look for another good sale...I know it's around here somewhere!

There is one good sale that will be reported pretty soon on Sedo and DNJournal.com :D

•••
"lie dormant and seemingly for sale"...

It's interesting how you've used the word
"seemingly" to try and justify your negative
point and posting, but in reality these domain
names are not being offered for sale.

This is what it states on the site,

"Please feel free to contact us for possible domain acquisition, cooperation activities or joined venture projects."

I use the word "seemingly" because it is a bit unclear exactly what they are hoping for.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

If someone purchased a name as an investment and chooses not to develop it then why would you have a problem with that?

I have no problem with it other than it seeming like waste of money to me to pay say 100k for business.tv then hoping to resell it,

If we go back to what was said at the time the general consensus among others was that this was an enduser with development plans and that that was a very good thing, obviously it hasn't turned out that way.

http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/655563-portalis-buying-spree-business-tv-home.html

A few comments from the first page (it goes on for many pages)

PORTALIS would definitely qualify as an enduser, they have a developed portfolio of other TLDs... and apparently have banked on .TV for their expansion plans. I'm excited to see what they have planned for the .TV space.

Clearly, they are developers. It appears vertical search is their specialty.

Looking forward to see what developments take place. Heavy investment from a company in a vertical search niche - this could be very interesting. I wonder if someone could persuade them to comment in a forum somewhere on their plans. It could be very interesting.

Hopefully somewhere other than Namepros where forward thinking people are often chewed out by domainers who don't think "business plans" but "short term ROI"."

This developer has banked heavily on .TV and IMHO based on their previous development efforts I suspect they have development plans for the domains they bought. I consider this great news for most .TV domainers... except for those who can't make up their mind what qualifies as good news because they are on a smear campaign."

However, should each and everyone of these names be developed, it just plain can't hurt this extension either...especially with the way things are going in an upward direction"

If all those premium names were purchased by speculators or people who had plans but have now dumped them even after spending 6 figures, where does it leave the extension? It leave is primed for more disappointment.

In my this is potentially the seeds of another big downturn when people realise that even with regular renewals names like business.tv (indeed a lot of other .tv's as well) have no clear business model. I think the market has already been looking very shakey for a while,

http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/657511-has-the-tv-market-peaked.html

In my view what we have seen this year is basically Verisign loosening things to the point where names do get renewed speculators interest but I'm not sure the fundamentals have changed much, the fundamentals being a lack of clear business model for the majority of .tv names

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

As far as I'm concerned, the above also applies to .COM domains -- if not more so as there are far more of them not developed.

- Vincent

It is a bit saying there is more unemployed people in the USA than Kosovo. It might be true but it is a meaningless statistic. .TV simply does not compare in terms of what has been developed to .com.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Business.com - great domain but an example of how a domain doesn't guarantee a business' success particularly if you overspend on the domain acquisition. I would argue it makes sense to spend 3-5 times as much for a .COM as the equivalent .Net and perhaps ten times as much for a .COM as the equivalent .TV. I don't believe one should pay 100 times as much for a .COM as the equivalent .TV. I sold a short brandable .COM (zero search volume) earlier this year for $3K but no doubt the buyer has invested far more than that in development costs. I have seen restaurants on Fort Lauderdale Beach which have closed. Great view but if the food & service don't provide good value, diners can easily visit a nearby restaurant with a view of the bay.

It wasn't the domain that sold for $350million, it was a business, but the model was extremely poor it would seem.

Personally I don't think business.com has a clear business model, even more so for business.tv because it is confined to the video angle. These are trophy names. The PPC element of Business.com was just trying to fit something onto it as opposed to something obvious.

•••
It is a bit saying there is more unemployed people in the USA than Kosovo. It might be true but it is a meaningless statistic. .TV simply does not compare in terms of what has been developed to .com.

You started the meaningless comparisons.

"A miss is as good as a mile."

It wasn't the domain that sold for $350million, it was a business, but the model was extremely poor it would seem.
So we agree on that point.

Bringing up Business.com was totally irrelevant to .TV as you are saying their business model was poor (seemingly) which would, therefore, put this discussion in the general "domain industry discussion" section of the forum.

Business.mobi is not resolving - go tell the .mobi sub forum that MOBI IS DEAD!

Oh no.. Business.Net yields a crappy landing page: "Welcome to the home of business.net"

I guess .net is dead too. Hopefully you informed those domainers too.

At least business.org has a parked page.... and business.co is more up front with its $200,000 price tag.

Based on the lack of development. It's true. BUSINESS is dead. In all extensions.

P.S. To Whomever it may be: ureggedtvtypos? is funny tag.

Last edited:
•••
Bringing up Business.com was totally irrelevant to .TV as you are saying their business model was poor (seemingly) which would, therefore, put this discussion in the general "domain industry discussion" section of the forum.

It is very relevant to Business.tv, which is the most expensive .tv that they bought.

I'm saying the model looks to have been poor and there is no obviously good model either. Business.tv is in the same boat and may be why it sits dormant today. Most here thought this enduser had plans for it.

Oh no.. Business.Net yields a crappy landing page: "Welcome to the home of business.net"

I guess .net is dead too. Hopefully you informed those domainers too.

I didn't say .tv was dead, I'm saying we are headed for another period of disappointment with .tv and these sales that 6 months later don't live up to expectations are good example of it. Most people in this sub forum though those names would be developed, instead it is just the same old, plans scrapped, names up for sale.

•••
It is very relevant to Business.tv, which is the most expensive .tv that they bought.
Business.com has no relevance to Business.TV unless they intended to merge/trade/sell/partner with them. Actually, it has no relevance to them unless they / he says it does

You are sounding a lot like a UDRP panel establishing "similarity" where maybe none exists.

I'm saying the model looks to have been poor and there is no obviously good model either. Business.tv is in the same boat and may be why it sits dormant today.

Business.TV is a 100K domain investment.

Business.com was a $350 million dollar company - the domain originally being $12 million or so of that total.

Hardly the "same boat".

I didn't say .tv was dead, I'm saying we are headed for another period of disappointment with .tv and these sales that 6 months later don't live up to expectations are good example of it. Most people in this sub forum though those names would be developed, instead it is just the same old, plans scrapped, names up for sale.

You won me over with this brilliant argument.

•••
Business.com has no relevance to Business.TV unless they intended to merge/trade/sell/partner with them. Actually, it has no relevance to them unless they / he says it does

You are sounding a lot like a UDRP panel establishing "similarity" where maybe none exists.

Of course the names are similar.

Business.TV is a 100K domain investment.

Business.com was a $350 million dollar company - the domain originally being $12 million or so of that total.

Hardly the "same boat".

Business.com looks to be headed back to be "being a domain name" and not much more. It is massive failure and says something for business.anything in my view. I'd compare it to sex.com, huge term but what exactly is the commercial market?

You won me over with this brilliant argument.

Very few enthusiasts will suddenly agree with me, because they've invested a whole lot of money in .tv and feel the need to "support it".

Much like the last bust when the majority lost almost everything they put into premiums (and most reg fees names as well) being told your investment may well do poorly is generally not well received. So I don't expect to "win you over".

Personally I think in the next couple of years though things will become clearer, personally I think we'll see lots of premium names registered 6 months ago sold at a loss once the reality of development and lack of a clear path sinks in. At least it won't be a complete wipeout like the last time.

•••
happy to agree with all the tags for this one

•••
Of course the names are similar.
The "names" are similar. So we established the baseline for the comparison.

Business.com looks to be headed back to be "being a domain name" and not much more. It is massive failure and says something for business.anything in my view.
I can see why the .TV subforum seemed like the most appropriate place then

I'd compare it to sex.com, huge term but what exactly is the commercial market?
I don't know. I don't see any commercial market for sex either.

Very few enthusiasts will suddenly agree with me, because they've invested a whole lot of money in .tv and feel the need to "support it".
I know what you're saying. I just don't get it. I mean - it's not like those not heavily invested feel the need to "put it down".

Personally I think in the next couple of years though things will become clearer, personally I think we'll see lots of premium names registered 6 months ago sold at a loss once the reality of development and lack of a clear path sinks in. At least it won't be a complete wipeout like the last time.

Yes. And we'll see many sold at a profit.

There are, as in every profit/loss business, three classes: winners, losers, non-competing.

It's not a stretch to say there will be losers.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

happy to agree with all the tags for this one

You do?!? lol

•••
Yes. And we'll see many sold at a profit.

There are, as in every profit/loss business, three classes: winners, losers, non-competing.

It's not a stretch to say there will be losers.

Personally I think the vast majority of premium names bought will not result in a profit for the owner.

A lot seemed to have bought expecting the market to quickly improve, instead that point in time is looking more like "a peak".

•••
It is massive failure and says something for business.anything in my view. I'd compare it to sex.com, huge term but what exactly is the commercial market?

:lol::lol:

-

•••
Sometimes it seems to me that someone see the extensions like their favourite sport team or political party.
It's business, nothing more, nothing less.

On the money.

But some people don't want to bet on their team winning, they want to bet on another one losing. Or stand on the sidelines in a crowded stadium and shout that the sport should be banned because it loses money sometimes.

Development takes time and money - not everyone wants to start development before they buy a name. I've heard some 80% of all domains are parked.

Now that dog racing is disappearing maybe it is time for a new sport to bet on - troll racing, or why not pro troll wrestling?

•••
On the money.

But some people don't want to bet on their team winning, they want to bet on another one losing. Or stand on the sidelines in a crowded stadium and shout that the sport should be banned because it loses money sometimes.

I'm not betting on .tv losing (wish I could though), I'm suggesting people avoid it because the vast majority have lost long term, over 10 years or more. .tv has "peaks" of interest, 2000, 2006, 2010, but the outcome is always the same. We are already seeing pretty large cracks in terms of what people expected 6 months ago compared to how things are panning out today.

Essentially the situation has always been whole lot of people betting and mainly losing, then some other people telling them they are wasting their money.

Now some people don't like that. So for those who say "I don't go around telling people .us is rubbish"...great...but that is you. Doesn't mean people shouldn't call out what they see as a losing investment just because you wouldn't.

If people had confidence in this extension they wouldn't care, because frankly what anyone here says about the extension will have no effect on its success or failure.

People do care though what is said, because they are making emotion decisions rather than strictly financial ones, and the aren't that confident in the extension themselves, despite what is said publicly.

Last edited:
•••
People do care though what is said, because they are making emotion decisions rather than strictly financial ones, and the aren't that confident in the extension themselves, despite what is said publicly.

Know the difference in that and people just not liking you. But you can always tell people the cats.net story its a beauty.

This logic coming from a human being and I do use that term lightly, that believes because business.com failed it reflects on business.anything tells anyone all they need.

But it is good to see so few replies to your nonsense. Three years ago this thread would have 100 replies. So I guess your nonsense has peaked. And everyone is the better for that.

•••
Know the difference in that and people just not liking you. But you can always tell people the cats.net story its a beauty.

This logic coming from a human being and I do use that term lightly, that believes because business.com failed it reflects on business.anything tells anyone all they need.

But it is good to see so few replies to your nonsense. Three years ago this thread would have 100 replies. So I guess your nonsense has peaked. And everyone is the better for that.

:hearts:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back