NameSilo

How to Recall an Email in Outlook ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ricky26woods

Impact
Hi,
Are you aware? How do I go back and recover an email in Microsoft Outlook? Could you please provide me an in-depth description of how to use Outlook's recall tool to remove an email that was sent by mistake? I require guidance on retrieving a message that was sent to the wrong person by error or that contained inaccurate information. I want to know specifically how to use the recall feature, what its restrictions are, and how to make sure that emails are successfully retrieved from the Outlook program.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Steps to Recall an Email in Outlook​

1. Open Outlook:
    • Launch the Microsoft Outlook application on your computer.
  2. Navigate to Sent Items:
    • Go to the “Sent Items” folder in the navigation pane on the left side of the Outlook window.
  3. Open the Email to Recall:
    • Double-click on the email you want to recall to open it in a new window.
  4. Access the Recall Feature:
    • In the opened email window, go to the “Message” tab in the ribbon at the top.
    • Click on the “Actions” button in the “Move” group. If you don’t see the “Actions” button, you might need to click the three dots (more options) to find it.
    • Select “Recall This Message” from the drop-down menu.
  5. Choose Recall Options:
    • A new dialog box will appear with recall options. You can choose either:
      • “Delete unread copies of this message” to recall the email.
      • “Delete unread copies and replace with a new message” to recall the email and replace it with a new one.
    • Optionally, check “Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient” to receive notifications about the recall status.
  6. Click OK:
    • After selecting your recall option, click “OK” to proceed.

Important Considerations:​

• Recipient's Email Client: The recall feature only works if the recipient is also using Outlook and the email is still unread. If the recipient uses a different email client or has already opened the email, the recall will not work.
  • Exchange Server: Both the sender and recipient must be on the same Microsoft Exchange server for the recall to succeed.
  • Read Receipts: If the recipient has read receipts enabled, and they have opened the email, the recall will fail.

Checking Recall Status:​

• If you opted to receive notifications, you’ll get an email notifying you whether the recall was successful or failed for each recipient.

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back