IT.COM

advice High-Profile Domainer Refuses to Transfer Sold Domain?

Spaceship
Watch

DrJacoby

Top Member
Impact
Here's a question to the more experienced members of Namepros.

If you purchased a domain at BIN price at one of the two big marketplaces, and then the seller refuses to transfer it, claiming that he/she sold it at another venue shortly before you bought it, what would you do?

1) Do nothing and just move on.
2) Take legal action.
3) Name and shame.

Would it matter if the offender is a high-profile figure (that, for example, sits on the NamesCon Advisory Board)?

Worth mentioning is that the seller lowered the price just before I purchased it, so I find it hard to believe the he/she is no longer the owner. Besides, serious sellers only have BIN prices at one marketplace. Even beginners know this.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After complaining, this is the response I got:
"Seller's account manager has reviewed the seller's account and have taken steps necessary."
In reality, that probably means business as usual for this person.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. I think it's one of those situations where ''intent matters''. I'll explain.

What happened to me once years ago on Dan is that I listed a 4-letter name accidentally in .com instead of .org. Dan didn't verify shit as we all know. Resulted in someone buying it the next day. Obviously I didn't have a name, just explained it to Dan, and they said something similar ''be careful, accounts can be restricted'', but same as here - they didn't do anything. So, I just was on the opposite side of the deal as you, but I know it was a pure mistake from my side (not a bad intention or manipulation of any kind) + Dan's non-verification.

Obviously, if you are sure the seller was playing games with you, just shoot the name of the person, and let the shitstorm hit this thread :punch::punch: :xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

•••
Name and Shame a community without transparency is a community not worth having.

•••
Otherwise, what are we shaming him about?
We're not shaming him/her. I asked for advice, and Naming and Shaming was one of three possible options that I was considering. But thanks to the people in this thread I've decided to just move on.

•••
I've bought domain names at marketplaces, and then later had to get them removed from other marketplaces. Unfortunately, not all sellers are methodical in quickly removing their stale listings when transactions take place.

It's not 100% clear that that's what took place here, but it is plausible.

•••
Hi

did you check whois for any change of ownership?

imo...

•••

If you purchased a domain at BIN price at one of the two big marketplaces, and then the seller refuses to transfer it, claiming that he/she sold it at another venue shortly before you bought it, what would you do?

2) Take legal action.
3) Name and shame.

Would it matter if the offender is a high-profile figure (that, for example, sits on the NamesCon Advisory Board)?

Worth mentioning is that the seller lowered the price just before I purchased it, so I find it hard to believe the he/she is no longer the owner. Besides, serious sellers only have BIN prices at one marketplace. Even beginners know this.

Name and shame because there are a lot of pompous high profile domainers preaching to the rest but doing the worst.

If everyone just moves on from malicious behavior, nothing changes.

As far as taking legal action, depends on the value of the domain to you.
If we are talking a $25K+ domain, then for me it is worth retaining a lawyer for breach of contract.

At the end of the day, this is a business.

•••

2) Take legal action.
3) Name and shame.

I have no idea what happened in this situation, but what the seller said is plausible.

It has happened to me more than once. A domain will sell on one venue, then sell on another venue before I was able to remove it.

Sometimes the sales are related to the same party, for instance different people in the company. Other times, it has been random people interested in the same domain at the same time. It's rare, but can happen.

Of course, the seller could also just be lying.

When you are talking about large portfolios though, it can be difficult to keep everything fully updated in real time.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
"Updated Date" was updated the day before I purchased it. Does that mean it sold or transferred 100%, or what exactly triggers the update?

It could be a whois change, renewal, dns change, lock/unlock, etc.

The timing though is a good indication that ownership could have changed.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It's not really that unusual to list items for sale on multiple marketplaces, then remove them when sold.
Yes. Removing the domain from other marketplaces is literally the first thing I always do when a domain is sold.

•••
Yes. Removing the domain from other marketplaces is literally the first thing I always do when a domain is sold.
Even then there can be an issue as some marketplaces, GoDaddy for instance, often have a delay until the listing is actually removed from their system.

Brad

•••
Hi

did you check whois for any change of ownership?

imo...
Yes, it's under privacy.

regarding no.2 - (i'm not lawyer) but i believe you can't do that-also as reminder, legal fees is not cheap.
Try read the marketplace policies, Banned maybe, but they can't force seller.
I can do that. According to the marketplace, the sales contract is a legal contract.

You can complain to the marketplace where you bought it. Sure, you won't get the name or any credit, but the seller might get in trouble (just ''might'').
After complaining, this is the response I got:
"Seller's account manager has reviewed the seller's account and have taken steps necessary."
In reality, that probably means business as usual for this person.
For a moment, let's assume that this person is actually on that Advisory Board. I would then probably inform the Advisory Board about what is going on.
Thank you, that's an interesting idea.

Last edited:
•••
Hi,

I guess you won't tell us, what domain that was?
Then someone would probably figure out the identity of the seller, which in effect would be me choosing option #3. But I haven't yet decided how to proceed.

•••
•••
Probably just a mistake. It happens. Just move on.

•••
We're not shaming him/her. I asked for advice, and Naming and Shaming was one of three possible options that I was considering. But thanks to the people in this thread I've decided to just move on.
IMO, That's the wise thing to do, and if this make you feel better, I encountered with 3 bad sellers last month on auction (not at namepros) and 1 of the refunded payment still pending at my bank. so yeah, i know the feel. it's suck.

•••
I have no idea what happened in this situation, but what the seller said is plausible.

It has happened to me more than once. A domain will sell on one venue, then sell on another venue before I was able to remove it.

Sometimes the sales are related to the same party, for instance different people in the company. Other times, it has been random people interested in the same domain at the same time. It's rare, but can happen.
I am curious as to what steps have been taken in this case.

•••
I am curious as to what steps have been taken in this case.

I think most marketplaces are aware this can happen.

They want a good faith effort to keep listings updated, but realize if something happens in a very short period of time there is only so much you can do.

You will normally get reminded to keep your listings updated. If it ends up being an ongoing issue, I assume there might be more drastic action taken.

Brad

•••
Worth mentioning is that the seller lowered the price just before I purchased it, so I find it hard to believe the he/she is no longer the owner.
Are we talking minutes here? And can you give a rough indication of the price drop?

•••
It could be a whois change, renewal, dns change, lock/unlock, etc.

The timing though is a good indication that ownership could have changed.

Brad
Thanks. So the domain likely did sell to another buyer which makes me feel a little better.

•••
I doubt someone with a strong history in the field is going to risk their credibility over a low dollar sale.

Brad
Sounds reasonable.

•••
I'm late to this thread, but I'm guessing what the seller told you is correct, especially for the dollar amount you're talking about.

It's unfortunate, but it happens. Sellers have some responsibility for removing listings, but marketplaces are also at fault. Earlier this year I got a sales notice at Dan for a domain I sold through Afternic a year or two ago. Dan syndicated listings even if you didn't want them to, so I place the blame on GoDaddy for that one.

•••
well normally u aren't supposed toget this from the best people in any field..
they supposed to shine with example..

then on the other hand today where greed rules often those are precisely people u do get it from ... whether politicians or whoever...

so.. tough call but... yours alone in the end..
guten lucken

•••
You can complain to the marketplace where you bought it. Sure, you won't get the name or any credit, but the seller might get in trouble (just ''might'').

Unfortunately, after this the only thing you can do is to move to 1) on your list of solutions.

Shit happens, unfortunately...

•••

2) Take legal action.
3) Name and shame.

1. The transaction isn't complete until you get the goods. A marketplace is inherently a...marketplace. If you got your money back, then it's not a scam. What they do or do with that domain is inconsequential or insignificant to you. This is why "Fast-transfer" is a thing and used a lot in the market. Anyone can list domains on a marketplace, sometimes they could miss an ownership check, or if it expires and changes hands, the listing might still be active from the previous seller. Just because it's listed at a certain price, doesn't mean it's 100%. Maybe you can also opt for domains that are "Fast Transfer" enabled.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back