NameSilo

offers Gonna buy a domain, don't know it worths the offer!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mohammad

Established Member
Impact
I'm going to buy a domain. First time, seller didn't reply my email and second time I offered him $500 for a 2 words .com domain which estibot says its value is about $950. Now, I think I could buy it cheaper and I made a mistake by offering $500. I thought he won't sell it lower than $1000 but now he accepted the $500 offer. How may I be sure that the domain is valuable like $500? Should I take a time and ask a 3rd party (my close friend) to buy it for lower price? :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Namepros has a lot of members whose native language is not English.

I have no wish to mock anyone who doesn't speak or write perfect English; I hope I haven't implied that.
Yes, and everyone from everywhere is always welcomed here. :)

I admire the fact that many people on here do not speak English as their 1st language but they do a pretty good job of saying what they want and having it come out right. Sometime even better than the native English speakers! ;)

Sometimes language is not the issue though, but rather a persons ability to pay attention.

•••
•••
When selling domains ,I may have a domain thats offered at 1000 ,sometimes if I get a serious bid,instead of going back and forth with the usual $20 buck starting bid I say what the heck,nice guy decent bid ,I have 3000 other domains. Sold

For you to make that bid ,it must have been worth it to you,I think if you would have offered the guy $300 you may have had to pay $500 bucks anyway. Without knowing domain I cant tell you what its worth ,but it sounds to me like you probably gave the guy a sob story while you were bidding ,and the guy did you a favor.

Just buy the domain ,and ask the guy to see what else he has,sounds lke a good guy to get inventory from.

•••
You should honor your offer and buy it of course! Don't save pennies to lose dollars. Reputation is more important than $500 dollars.

•••
Strange discuss.
He doesnt have to pay $500 if he doesnt want.
He offered $500 privet way, not in public auction where his "bid" could affect to final price.
He must only email again and explain he only was checking and the price is too high for him.
Thats all.

•••
Strange discuss.
He doesnt have to pay $500 if he doesnt want.
He offered $500 privet way, not in public auction where his "bid" could affect to final price.
He must only email again and explain he only was checking and the price is too high for him.
Thats all.
The $500 offer was accepted by the owner, any deviation from now on is bad business practice.

•••
You want to tell that now the buyer must to give to the seller all his money?
Maybe he doesnt have $500.
Maybe this sum will affect his budjet.
The only thing the buyer has to do in this case is only email and explain the situation.
Thats all.
It was not an auction.
If tomorrow somebody makes me an offer and I acept but the next day he send me a message he cant, it is OK for me. It was not auction, so nobody must nothing to pay if he offered something by mistake.
The only thing is todo always is TALK one to another and explain.

•••
Of course he have to pay. It is a binding contract. At least, it is a matter of reputation and good business practice. The seller maybe cancelled negotiations with other potential buyers, he maybe turned down some offers as he thought he sold the domain, and so on....

Once I had an offer that I accepted and sent him my PayPal info ($xxx offer), but the buyer changed his mind. I said OK, but he surprised me by sending 10% of his offer to my PayPal.

•••
He doesnt have.
Understand it.
His offer didnt affect to the seller budget.
It was only offer.
Not auction bid.
The seller wasnt selling nothing, so it was only offer that changed nothing in his life.
Thats all. In this case the only right think to do is email and explain everithing and if the owner acept lower price, buy it, if not, nothing...

•••
Ok, I will offer you $500 for numericdomainsforsale

But I can change my mind if you accept

•••
OK, lets see the opposite situation. You are the buyer of domain listed at Sedo. You noticed one domain with BIN $500 and purchase it. The seller decide not to transfer it as he thinks he could get more (the opposite of this case where buyer thinks he could get it for less). Would that be OK ??

Recently I had situation where I forgot to update BIN and sold great domain way under the amount I wanted as someone hit BIN. Transferring to the buyer was not a question at all. He honestly paid and I transferred it immediately, although I was pissed off.

If you make an offer, you are supposed to pay if accepted. Period. It would be something else if your offer would be accepted few weeks later, but if it was accepted right away you should pay.
You cant know what loss could cause your offer to the seller if you don't pay. One more example, I was in negotiation with one Chinese regarding valuable numeric domain. He offered high $xxx and I accepted. He did not respond on my email 24 hours and in the meantime I received direct e-mail inquiry where buyer from US offered to pay the price listed on GoDaddy less fee. It would be better deal for me, and much easier (you know why if you ever dealt with Chinese who don't speak English), but I answered him that I sold the domain and could let him know only if buyer fail to pay. The next day Chinese guy made payment.
I could get few more dollars, but I feel good, sleep well, keep my moral, AND I now am connected with solid Chinese buyer for future deals.

•••
@MasterOfMyDomains,
It will be OK for me if you email me and tell me sorry I have to cancel the deal.
But if you put a bid on my auction and made other bidders to desappear and finally will tell you changed your mind without any reasonable explication, I will think you are irresponsible person.
I had similar case, somebody from here made me an offer I told OK but asked him to wait a few days, I had problem with my account and couldnt see the authcode.
Finally I called to my registar and asked them to reset my pass, I wasted my time and the buyer sent me PM with simple "no deal". Ok, no deal then, maybe something happened, maybe he changed his mind, I cand know it, but it was a simple offer, not auction. I have no problem with that, he told me no deal before the transfer. I didnt lose nothing, only my time. I have nothing to claim.

•••
About what moral you are talking?
The guy didnt ruin the owner auction.
You discuss and not even know the reacction of the owner.
Maybe for him it is ok.
2 educated people always can talk and understand each other.

•••
I am out of this discussion

•••
Yes, you are right. If he emailed and said unforseen circumstances have taken place, and i will withdraw my offer. If later, i am able i will make you the same offer. Sorry
Fine, but to say who cares. And he wants to score it cheaper via another email is wrong. One thing to withdraw an offer, its another to try and scam someone. Read the whole first post. Its what he is wanting to do after the fact that is wrong.
Maybe this person did have another offer and declined because someone offered him $500
We will never know all the facts, so thats my opinion. Have a great day and don't believe it until you see it.

•••
The $500 offer was accepted by the owner, any deviation from now on is bad business practice.
What if accepted but then said you had to use his broker who charges 100% commission?
What if accepted but then said you had to pay first and he'd send you the domain when he was finished using it for his project?

No one changed the offer-accept. They provided more detail about a condition that was assumed not to exist.
You don't have the valid terms of a contract.

Ok, I will offer you $500 for numericdomainsforsale

But I can change my mind if you accept

He'll accept but only if you don't change your mind when he says there's a $500 time and material cost automatically added to all his deals on top of price. Plus he wants tax documentation.

OK, lets see the opposite situation. You are the buyer of domain listed at Sedo. You noticed one domain with BIN $500 and purchase it. The seller decide not to transfer it as he thinks he could get more (the opposite of this case where buyer thinks he could get it for less). Would that be OK ??.

Sedo lays out terms and conditions. Whatever those terms are should guide the answer. It's a totally different scenario.

•••
Because of that I told he have to email and explain.
To say directly, sorry, I told you 500, but thinking again it is too high, I only wanted to see it you would acept to sell it.
Talk to him, tell the truth.

•••
•••
I told what I think.
I suggested to talk to the owner and tell the truth and maybe the owner will understand and acept to sell cheaper, anyway it is also possible to ask him investigate the worth of the domain.
Colaborate, talk.
Be simple, be human.
And remember, it was NOT AUCTION.

•••
Yes, I need the domain for development. Just thinking if I wait for 1-2 month(s) and ask my partner to offer lower price to seller.

Its not wether the offer is binding, or legal,its the principles he uses. I know what Judge Judy would say

•••
So what?
I told cleary he dont have to pay 500 if he doesnt want.
He have to email and tell the truth to the owner.
Where I told the buyer is right 100%?

•••
And i said in my post above you are right. He should be honest, people should be honest.
He also doesnt know if it is worth 500 and didnt think the person would take less than 1000
Very confused person

•••
This is a weird thread. Sorry I had to say haha :)

•••
may be the seller is short on cash, and is willing to sell, next time you could come and he could: 1. be with cash and can say you a bigger price, 2. tell you the domain is sold to another person.

grab the cookie while is hot.

•••
OK, lets see the opposite situation. You are the buyer of domain listed at Sedo. You noticed one domain with BIN $500 and purchase it. The seller decide not to transfer it as he thinks he could get more (the opposite of this case where buyer thinks he could get it for less). Would that be OK ??

Recently I had situation where I forgot to update BIN and sold great domain way under the amount I wanted as someone hit BIN. Transferring to the buyer was not a question at all. He honestly paid and I transferred it immediately, although I was pissed off.

If you make an offer, you are supposed to pay if accepted. Period. It would be something else if your offer would be accepted few weeks later, but if it was accepted right away you should pay.
You cant know what loss could cause your offer to the seller if you don't pay. One more example, I was in negotiation with one Chinese regarding valuable numeric domain. He offered high $xxx and I accepted. He did not respond on my email 24 hours and in the meantime I received direct e-mail inquiry where buyer from US offered to pay the price listed on GoDaddy less fee. It would be better deal for me, and much easier (you know why if you ever dealt with Chinese who don't speak English), but I answered him that I sold the domain and could let him know only if buyer fail to pay. The next day Chinese guy made payment.
I could get few more dollars, but I feel good, sleep well, keep my moral, AND I now am connected with solid Chinese buyer for future deals.

Until this industry gets off its posterior and begins naming and shaming non-payers, this problem will continue. Count on it.

Evidently, some people's inability to honor a contract is greatly impaired.

And, Mayazir, if you don't have the money, don't make an offer because if an offer is accepted, you have just entered a binding contract.

I, for one, will NOT knowingly do business with someone who makes an offer and then reneges, only to come back with a lower offer. In that case, the price will then go up.

He/she can friggin' pound sand.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back