Dynadot

question Can someone from GoDaddy clarify their backorder policy?

Spaceship
Watch
I've looked on their website, chatted online with support, and called support. I get contradictory information.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-i-backorder-a-domain-597
states the domain will go to a public auction.

https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-backorder
states if you are the only backorder holder, you become the domain name registrant.

I have a domain on backorder with GoDaddy. It's registered at GoDaddy. The domain expired and is currently in the redemption period. GoDaddy (not the owner), listed it on their auction site as a Premium domain with a 5 figure minimum offer.

If someone makes an offer on the domain, can GoDaddy accept and ignore my backorder?

If nobody makes an offer and the domain drops / goes past the redemption and recovery periods, will it go to auction for anyone to bid, even if I'm the only backorder?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If someone makes an offer on the domain, can GoDaddy accept and ignore my backorder?

If nobody makes an offer and the domain drops / goes past the redemption and recovery periods, will it go to auction for anyone to bid, even if I'm the only backorder?

Godaddy's paid backorder service has zero chance competing with other b.o. outfits.

The way I see it, now that the domain is in Redemption period, only the current registrant can renew the name (unless the period of eligibility has passed). The drop/deletion process has likely started, and a strong (D)ropcatch outfit is well-positioned to grab the name and put it on auction (if it is deemed worthy).

Someone will hopefully correct me if my take on this process is incorrect.

•••
Godaddy's paid backorder service has zero chance competing with other b.o. outfits.

The way I see it, now that the domain is in Redemption period, only the current registrant can renew the name (unless the period of eligibility has passed). The drop/deletion process has likely started, and a strong (D)ropcatch outfit is well-positioned to grab the name and put it on auction (if it is deemed worthy).

Someone will hopefully correct me if my take on this process is incorrect.

Since the domain name is with GoDaddy it will not "drop" in the sense that another back order service can pick it up. It will enter their expired auction system and would only actually be deleted and "dropped" if no one purchased it from that system.

I can't answer the initial question about being the only back order. I *THINK* it used to go to the person backordering if they were the only one, but that they now have changed it so that you would just become the first bidder in an auction (which kind of defeats the purpose of back ordering those names in the first place). In any case, I am curious too and hopefully someone with Godaddy can clarify their policy in this type of situation.

•••
Since the domain name is with GoDaddy it will not "drop" in the sense that another back order service can pick it up. It will enter their expired auction system and would only actually be deleted and "dropped" if no one purchased it from that system.

You're correct. I was thinking of my own GD names I let expire but forgot an entire (and tedious) process of expired auction, and closeouts (if no bidder in expired).

•••
but that they now have changed it so that you would just become the first bidder in an auction (which kind of defeats the purpose of back ordering those names in the first place). In any case, I am curious too and hopefully someone with Godaddy can clarify their policy in this type of situation.
My thoughts exactly. I'm paying for them to place a bid, when I can monitor and bid on the domain for free? If that's truly the case.

Plus there's the fact that they put the domain up for offer. If someone actually makes a 5 figure offer on the domain, are they really going to deny it and give me the domain for the backorder fee?

•••
I am confused about the same.

A domain that I wanted expired 24 days ago. I have placed a backorder for it with GoDaddy. However, I am unsure if the domain will go to auction on day 26 or if GoDaddy will prioritize backorders and not send it to auction.

Another question I have is, if the domain enters the auction, will GoDaddy place a starting bid on my behalf, or will they place the first bid amount for the auction between other backorder holders?

I contacted their customer support through live chat, and this is what they replied: The 26 days mark is when you should be able to get register notification. As by that time it goes on auction, so instead backorder holders will get first chance.

•••
•••
The expired domain process (according to DropCatch).

Gd process may not exactly follow this model.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 12
•••
Paying for the GD backorder service, is just paying to send an alert to Huge Domain auction bots that a domain has value.

You are better off watching the domain to see if it proceeds to closeout.

Its pointless to use the GD backorder service.

•••
I've looked on their website, chatted online with support, and called support. I get contradictory information.

states if you are the only backorder holder, you become the domain name registrant.

I have a domain on backorder with GoDaddy. It's registered at GoDaddy. The domain expired and is currently in the redemption period. GoDaddy (not the owner), listed it on their auction site as a Premium domain with a 5 figure minimum offer.

Yes, it will go to auction a 7-day public auction and if .com godaddy will place a $10 bid on your behalf. If you are outbid you'll need to increase it or risk losing the auction. So in reality they allow anyone to bid on it, not just people who backorder. I've had bad luck on good domains to get at backorder. If you lose the auction they should credit you with a free backorder to apply to another domain.

•••
I don't work for godaddy but usually once a name enters redemption period it proceeds to the pending delete unless the owners gets it out of redemption.

I think after 30 days you in redemption u should see it in pending delete for 5 days before it drops.

Usually, before it ended up in redemption gd had it on their expired auction. You might have missed that. The fact that it ended up in redemption means it cant be too good of a name for most people so the good news is u have a chance to get it on drop but this time please backorder at snapnames and dropcatch and not discount.

•••

As our original poster has asked,
@GoDaddy could you clarify?

•••
Interesting that they're apparently refusing to answer my question. I looked and @GoDaddy has posted multiple times on this forum since I started this thread.

I posted my question on LinkedIn. Wonder if more eyes on this issue will get any results.

•••
•••
•••
They responded, but really didn't clarify their policy.

GoDaddy:
"Hi William, a backorder is a great way to throw your hat into the ring for a domain that's expiring. While it's not a guarantee to obtain the domain, the backorder provides you status updates to bid on the domain and, if you were the first, to start the bid with a nominal amount. In cases where no one bids in the auction, no one placed another backorder, and the owner does not renew, you would be awarded the domain. Many pick up a domain in this way. You can check out this article for a complete explanation and your options for an unsuccessful backorder as you move forward. https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-i-backorder-a-domain-597"

My reply:
"Thank you for the response. https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-backorder states if you are the only backorder holder, you become the domain name registrant. Nothing about it being put up for offers. It does state it will go to auction if there are multiple backorder holders. But then anyone can bid on the auction, not just backorder holders, correct? What's the point of spending money on a backorder if I won't get the domain if I'm the only backorder? I can monitor it for free and then bid on the auction."

Waiting for their response..

•••
They responded, but really didn't clarify their policy.

My reply:
"Thank you for the response. https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-backorder states if you are the only backorder holder, you become the domain name registrant. Nothing about it being put up for offers. It does state it will go to auction if there are multiple backorder holders. But then anyone can bid on the auction, not just backorder holders, correct? What's the point of spending money on a backorder if I won't get the domain if I'm the only backorder? I can monitor it for free and then bid on the auction."

Waiting for their response..
Thanks for the update. it's a simple question. Hopefully you'll get a direct, comprehensive answer soon.

•••

Hi @draco
We're sorry we missed this thread! GoDaddy Backorders currently have two outcomes:

1. For domain names that expire and go into the GoDaddy Auctions feed (domain names registered at GoDaddy or expiry partners), the backorder will be placed as the first bid on the domain. Domains enter GoDaddy Auctions before dropping. If you're the only bidder, you can secure the domain name and become the registrant.

2. For domain names that expire and are not entering the GoDaddy Auctions feed, placing a backorder means that GoDaddy will try to hand register it when it becomes available.

•••
Hi @draco
We're sorry we missed this thread! GoDaddy Backorders currently have two outcomes:

1. For domain names that expire and go into the GoDaddy Auctions feed (domain names registered at GoDaddy or expiry partners), the backorder will be placed as the first bid on the domain. Domains enter GoDaddy Auctions before dropping. If you're the only bidder, you can secure the domain name and become the registrant.

2. For domain names that expire and are not entering the GoDaddy Auctions feed, placing a backorder means that GoDaddy will try to hand register it when it becomes available.

So ad 1+2: it means that it makes no sense to backorder domains registered at godaddy (& partners?), because the domain will be auctioned off anyway and by placing a backorder you only bring more attention to this domain, while you could have better results trying to snatch it near the end of the auction or even at closeouts?

And ad 2: "hand register" - do you mean that literally? Or do you have an automaton that does that? ;) Well, automaton can still have hands, I guess I mean more like a script. ;)

•••

So ad 1+2: it means that it makes no sense to backorder domains registered at godaddy (& partners?), because the domain will be auctioned off anyway and by placing a backorder you only bring more attention to this domain, while you could have better results trying to snatch it near the end of the auction or even at closeouts?
Well, it sounds like you have to figure out which ones meet criytteriua #2, or accept otherwise that the backorder will be entered into an auction? Interesting.

•••
Hi @draco

That's not what this says:

That's why I backordered the domain. I would have never spent money with you for this 'other' policy you're pushing. I'm sure a lot of other people are in the same situation.

and none of what you said explains why you placed the domain up for offers with a minimum 5 figure offer. You're obviously not going to decline a $50,000 offer to start a $25 auction.

As @pb asked, what does hand register mean? Not to mention the fact, that it's likely that only absolute garbage domains would not enter the auction feed.

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy has PREDATORY PRICING policies enforced by shrill bidding bots. AVOID!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back