NameSilo

discuss Why I failed with domaining .Thinking to quit

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

priusdomains

Impact
i had only one domain sold.i might be not suit for this methods. feel stressed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
domains take years to master

I like this 1000rule:

1000s of hours hard work..1000s of money lost... 1000s of worthless domains regged at first...

when u go thru this u are basically sure to get results..

•••
Learn the wrong things.
Losing time and money.

The only thing you will never lose is your wife.

•••
One domain out of how many? How long did it take for one sale? How long have you been domaining? How much have you invested? How much did the name sell for? How much time per week are you investing?

Failing means different things to different people.

•••
Every person has talent in some field. I think you should focus your efforts on something that doesn't involve the English language.

•••
One domain out of how many? How long did it take for one sale? How long have you been domaining? How much have you invested? How much did the name sell for? How much time per week are you investing?

Failing means different things to different people.
I started around 2022 and currently have about 300 domains. I primarily registered domains in the financial sector, but I've now shifted to tech domains. I also use expired names. I've received numerous offers, honestly, for these 300-400 domains, I've received around 20 offers and sold a -registered domain. However, I feel my domains might be more advanced, targeting a unique group of buyers. Perhaps my patience is running low, and your advice would be really helpful for me.

•••
Learn the wrong things.
Losing time and money.

The only thing you will never lose is your wife.
that is 100% true for me.

•••
Can you provide more info on the specific niche sectors within Finance and Tech you're investing in?

What are these niches?

•••
2022 and currently have about 300 domains
Too many too fast! You are creating a huge financial obligation which is going to stress you out from renewals alone. Slow down and learn. I hope these are mostly .com at least.

I feel my domains might be more advanced
I'd recommend you post a link to your names (or offer to share them privately with an experienced investor such as those above) for some real-life beneficial advice

Last edited:
•••
I started around 2022 and currently have about 300 domains. I primarily registered domains in the financial sector, but I've now shifted to tech domains. I also use expired names. I've received numerous offers, honestly, for these 300-400 domains, I've received around 20 offers and sold a -registered domain. However, I feel my domains might be more advanced, targeting a unique group of buyers. Perhaps my patience is running low, and your advice would be really helpful for me.
Would the 20 offers have given you a profit on the individual names? Looking back, would you be happier if you'd accepted them now or are you happy with your choice to hold on to them.

What's your goal with domaining? Make a full time living or just a hobby to provide some side income?

•••
Too many too fast! You are creating a huge financial obligation which is going to stress you out from renewals alone. Slow down and learn. I hope these are mostly .com at least.

I'd recommend you post a link to your names (or offer to share them privately with an experienced investor such as those above) for some real-life beneficial advice
I had a lot of .com domains, but I dropped many of them. Now, I hold around 30% in .com, with the rest in .xyz, .tech, .online, and .app extensions because I didn't have the money to renew them. I've noticed that at least 50% of the dropped domains have been registered again or taken from auctions. Some even ended up on BrandBucket. Maybe I just need some luck. Interestingly, some domains I submitted to BrandBucket and SquadHelp were not accepted, but after they dropped, they got listed there. If anyone can guide me with some steps to re-enter domaining more clearly, it would be greatly appreciated.

•••
Would the 20 offers have given you a profit on the individual names? Looking back, would you be happier if you'd accepted them now or are you happy with your choice to hold on to them.

What's your goal with domaining? Make a full time living or just a hobby to provide some side income?
No, I'm not good at negotiating.that's my fault. I should have accepted the offers and sold those domains, at least for 3 digit sales. I had good chances to sell the names that received offers. I did this as a part time activity, but when I see some .xyz domains selling for huge amounts, I just think, I only need one .xyz sale (like Swethas Sales ) to live comfortably for the rest of my life in Sri Lanka.

•••

I'm not happy with the decisions I made at that time. I should have accepted those offers. Instead, I ended up dropping the names without earning a single dollar

•••
•••
Now, I hold around 30% in .com, with the rest in .xyz, .tech, .online, and .app extensions because I didn't have the money to renew them.
Even a decent term in .com has better odds to sell than a great term in most secondary extensions.

Also, while top terms might be worth owning the carrying costs are often much higher.

Holding inventory with higher carrying costs and a lower sell-through rate makes it tough.

I've noticed that at least 50% of the dropped domains have been registered again or taken from auctions. Some even ended up on BrandBucket.
That happens. The same domains tend to cycle around between different owners when they expire. I would not read much into that as far as quality goes.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yours is a common story. 2 years in and despondent. We all look for that First good sale X,XXX range as both our stepping stone and saviour to the future in domains. We need the sale to take the weight off the renewals and also to confirm we are on the right-track.

Survival in this game takes a realistic look at the future financial commitment over at least 4 to 5 years ahead. If you haven't built that into your commitment from day one, then stress will start to play its part very early on. Now your into poor decision making.

Sorry this is just hindsight But, you probably done far better with curtailing your renewal costs to match your budget and NOT gone on to explore other Tlds. I'm guessing you don't have a stable income to maintain a portfolio of any great size but, I actually think a Hundred domains, or thereabouts (in .com) is enough to find out if you've got what it takes over say a 3 to 5 year period. By all means change them as you deem fit but don't get drawn into other markets or additional costs until you can justify it.

Hope you've got a couple of favourites that you can hold on to

•••
I'm not happy with the decisions I made at that time. I should have accepted those offers. Instead, I ended up dropping the names without earning a single dollar
Well at least you're learning what you maybe should be doing and that's a good start.

To have gotten 20 offers on names is better than 90% of people starting out in the industry. It shows that you atleast chose a few good names.

Emulating what Swetha or any other big seller does is going to be a long term time and money investment. Being successful from the off is almost unheard of.

I'd try to take the positives from what you've achieved and expand on what you did right rather than dwell on what you did wrong.

If you have specific questions about things you're in the right place to ask.

•••
when I see some .xyz domains selling for huge amounts, I just think, I only need one .xyz sale (like Swethas Sales ) to live comfortably for the rest of my life in Sri Lanka.

I see a lot of people with this kind of “lottery” mindset and I think it clouds your judgement and sets you up for the wrong strategy.

Go back and read Swethas posts (I think they’re still available?) here on the forum and you’ll see she did not start selling names for 6 figures.

She earned her stripes and learned the market for years selling 3-4 digit to figure out what works and fund the ability to hold out for larger sales.

Model the strategy of people starting where you are and you’ll do much better.

•••
Yours is a common story. 2 years in and despondent. We all look for that First good sale X,XXX range as both our stepping stone and saviour to the future in domains. We need the sale to take the weight off the renewals and also to confirm we are on the right-track.

Survival in this game takes a realistic look at the future financial commitment over at least 4 to 5 years ahead. If you haven't built that into your commitment from day one, then stress will start to play its part very early on. Now your into poor decision making.

Sorry this is just hindsight But, you probably done far better with curtailing your renewal costs to match your budget and NOT gone on to explore other Tlds. I'm guessing you don't have a stable income to maintain a portfolio of any great size but, I actually think a Hundred domains, or thereabouts (in .com) is enough to find out if you've got what it takes over say a 3 to 5 year period. By all means change them as you deem fit but don't get drawn into other markets or additional costs until you can justify it.

Hope you've got a couple of favourites that you can hold on to
Thank you for the advice. Yes, I have set aside some domains to hold for a few years.

•••
Well at least you're learning what you maybe should be doing and that's a good start.

To have gotten 20 offers on names is better than 90% of people starting out in the industry. It shows that you atleast chose a few good names.

Emulating what Swetha or any other big seller does is going to be a long term time and money investment. Being successful from the off is almost unheard of.

I'd try to take the positives from what you've achieved and expand on what you did right rather than dwell on what you did wrong.

If you have specific questions about things you're in the right place to ask.
Youhave given me something to think about, honestly. It's true that the offers I received offers and they were mostly for non.com names, but innovative words. I’m feeling something positive now. However, I won't be registering or buying any more domains soon, but I’m still watching and staying in touch. I’m planning to focus my full attention on my small business Ceylon spices and herbs, tea, and coffee.

I have a few questions, Some domainers find names based on CPC, search volume, company details,and other metrics. How can I get that information?

•••
Thank you for the advice. Yes, I have set aside some domains to hold for a few years.
Good, Sometimes you have to abandon ship But, that doesn't always mean you have to leave all, or the most valuable cargo behind. Hopefully, if you've got a couple of good'uns they can one day emerge to wipe out everything lost before.

Happened to me with a $20,000 sale in my early days.

•••
I have a few questions, Some domainers find names based on CPC, search volume, company details,and other metrics. How can I get that information?
There are tools out there that will give you that information both free and paid for. In my signature is a directory site I put together years ago (not updated in a while but should still be of some help) where you can find some research tools.

•••
I think that the internet will shrink to quality, because everybody will have an AI in his pocket and it will be the internet of everything, locally. That is why focus on quality, but this will come with experience to detect the best of the best, if I look now at my beginning regs I say to myself WTF I was doing, after I got the best domains I realize how much I must drop.

•••
Most domainers fail the first time.

Have a reset, reflect on what you did wrong.

Make sure you succeed the second time.

•••
I understand how frustrating it can be when things don’t go as expected, especially in a field like domaining. The reality is, it’s a long game that often requires patience, consistent learning, and trial and error.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back